Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo BT Phone P2v2 - Phone Module (PHM) Bluetooth update

Views : 87479

Replies : 411

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 5th, 2018, 22:50   #141
gatitopeke

can't update bt module, has invalid sim and reject btb file on manual or bootloader mode
gatitopeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 18:09   #142
JFrisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatitopeke View Post
can't update bt module, has invalid sim and reject btb file on manual or bootloader mode
I had the same problem. I solved it by sending first the "boot_loader.btb" file first (but I don't think that's necessary), and then directly sent the "btphone_p2v2.btb" file after that. And then I waited for about 10 - 20 seconds. And viola! It worked.

I think something went wrong when sending the "btphone_p2v2.btb" file first time, so you get an invalid firmware image, but the boot-loader still waits for a new sending of firmware.
I hope it work for you too, and solves the problem!
JFrisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 19:37   #143
marekbm

it depends what was the previous version of fw/bootloader. the later vesion of bootloader and fw wotks little bit different.
now if you switch to the bootloader then the device will stay in bootloader until valid fw is received. and bootloader is not possible to enable if it is not valid. so it is much more safe then before. if you turn on the bootloader and something wrong happends then it stays in bootloader even the device is turned off and then on (after that you cen see only "please wait..."). so you have to send a valid version of the firmware (size, crc, ... must be valid). if not possible to do from some device then it is recommended to use a different one.

fyi: if you send "boot_loader.btb" file and "btphone_p2v2.btb" file and it will start operate then it means that the device was in bootloader and the first file was ignored. the second file is accepted and module module will reboot.

the bootloader needs some time for initialization. if you start too early then the fw is ignored. if it happends then just send it again.

but older style was able to load a damaged fw and after reboot it is not possible to make it operate by standar procedures. if it happends you have to remove the module, erase it and flast the new firmware via USB.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 20:53   #144
reinis

Hello,

I recently bought my first Volvo. It is a P2 S60 year 2005 facelift with a built-in telephone module (with SIM card slot, speaker in the headrest and mic next to the central mirror) and a HU-850 radio.

I also have an iPhone 6S and my goal is to connect it to HU-850 via bluetooth and use it both for hands-free calls as well as for audio streaming. There is no plan to use two devices, I would only use a single iPhone 6S.

I was about to buy a GROM VOL01B3 until I stumbled upon in this thread. This looks really promising. I have watched the youtube instruction videos in Czech as well as read the installation guide and user guide. Everything is more or less clear, but before I place an order, I would appreciate if anyone could please help me with the following questions.

1. Audio quality is really, really important to me. I know it is bluetooth, but a good A2DP bluetooth streaming codec is totally acceptable to me. I just want to make sure that the audio quality via this bluetooth adapter is great - it should be indistinguishable from CD. Is it? Also, as I have the HU-850 with Dolby, central speaker etc., so I also want to make sure that the speakers would function just like I would be listening to the regular HU-850 CD player.

2. As far as I understand, since I have HU-850, I will only get steering wheel prev/next controls if I use the "CD-changer" mode and thus I will not have track names on the HU-850 display. Is this correct?

3. A standard use case would be that I am driving and streaming audio from Spotify on my iPhone 6S via bluetooth to the HU-850 and then suddenly someone calls me. The question is - what happens then? Will the main speakers shut off and I will only hear the volvo incoming call ringtone on the little speaker next to my ear in the headrest? If I then press the green “answer-call” button on my steering wheel will I get connected and still hear the call only in the speaker at the headrest? What happens if the call ends or I press the red “end call” button on my steering wheel - will spotify audio from my iphone continue playing on all main speakers as before the call?

4. Does the hands-free mode described in the previous point also work with Facetime audio and video on iPhone?

5. How is the quality of the built-in volvo microphone used for this? For instance, comparing to the mic in an iPhone or to the aftermarket micropohone that comes with the GROM kit?

6. About firmware and bootloader update. Is it correct to say that it is not possible to do it from iOS and macOS? Would it be possible to do in from a Windows 10 virtual box running on my macOS macbook pro?

7. How is the experience in general? Is it a definite winner over GROM?

Thanks!

Last edited by reinis; Oct 10th, 2018 at 21:04.
reinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 12:31   #145
marekbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinis View Post
Hello,

I recently bought my first Volvo. It is a P2 S60 year 2005 facelift with a built-in telephone module (with SIM card slot, speaker in the headrest and mic next to the central mirror) and a HU-850 radio.

I also have an iPhone 6S and my goal is to connect it to HU-850 via bluetooth and use it both for hands-free calls as well as for audio streaming. There is no plan to use two devices, I would only use a single iPhone 6S.

I was about to buy a GROM VOL01B3 until I stumbled upon in this thread. This looks really promising. I have watched the youtube instruction videos in Czech as well as read the installation guide and user guide. Everything is more or less clear, but before I place an order, I would appreciate if anyone could please help me with the following questions.

1. Audio quality is really, really important to me. I know it is bluetooth, but a good A2DP bluetooth streaming codec is totally acceptable to me. I just want to make sure that the audio quality via this bluetooth adapter is great - it should be indistinguishable from CD. Is it? Also, as I have the HU-850 with Dolby, central speaker etc., so I also want to make sure that the speakers would function just like I would be listening to the regular HU-850 CD player.

2. As far as I understand, since I have HU-850, I will only get steering wheel prev/next controls if I use the "CD-changer" mode and thus I will not have track names on the HU-850 display. Is this correct?

3. A standard use case would be that I am driving and streaming audio from Spotify on my iPhone 6S via bluetooth to the HU-850 and then suddenly someone calls me. The question is - what happens then? Will the main speakers shut off and I will only hear the volvo incoming call ringtone on the little speaker next to my ear in the headrest? If I then press the green “answer-call” button on my steering wheel will I get connected and still hear the call only in the speaker at the headrest? What happens if the call ends or I press the red “end call” button on my steering wheel - will spotify audio from my iphone continue playing on all main speakers as before the call?

4. Does the hands-free mode described in the previous point also work with Facetime audio and video on iPhone?

5. How is the quality of the built-in volvo microphone used for this? For instance, comparing to the mic in an iPhone or to the aftermarket micropohone that comes with the GROM kit?

6. About firmware and bootloader update. Is it correct to say that it is not possible to do it from iOS and macOS? Would it be possible to do in from a Windows 10 virtual box running on my macOS macbook pro?

7. How is the experience in general? Is it a definite winner over GROM?

Thanks!
1:
- quality: i do not have RTI in my car so the module is directly connected to the radio. the quality (HU-803) is better than via cable on my second car (S80 P3). if you use "Y" cable due to RTI or another audio device connected to the radio then quality can decrease due to long audio lines and missing shielding. i do not use module with aptx mainly due to noise in the car while driving.
- Dolby works great. same as with CD player (does not matter if radio is set as SAT or CD-Changer).

2:
i am not sure why but radio does not send a button events from steering wheel if SAT is selected. so if you have selected SAT and you want to use next/previous song then you have to use the button on the radio. SAT mode (HU-x5x) is able to show tags (there are 4 pages changing by pressing the "RND" button). CD-Changer mode shown only track number.

3:
incomming call: audio stream is paused and module starts ringing (from speaker in headrest). if you accept then you can talk (rearview mirror mic + headrest speaker or telephone headset in armrest).
outgoing call: after you dial a number (you have facelift so it does not matter if from the cellphone or from PHMs keypad) then audio stream is paused and you can talk (rearview mirror mic + headrest speaker or telephone headset in armrest)
after the call is terminated: the audio stream is resumed.

the PHM has also a feature to mute the radio during the call. if you turn it off (not muted during the call) then you can hear second side also from radio speakers. but if set too loud then second side hears itself.

notice: if you want to pause the audio then you have to switch to different audio source or turn the radio off (same like CD player). if you pause the audio on the cellphone then it is resumed in 2 second.

4:
i have no idea. if the cellphone sends same notifications via bluetooth as a standard call then it can be possible.

5:
it depends on the car. the most are ok but some have strange microphone (sometimes is damaged), some have too quiet headrest speaker.

6:
i am not sure but macOS probably supports OPP/OBEX protocol so it should be able to use it for the update (but i have not experience). i think that only iOS does not support it. bit if macOS does not support it then it will also not works on virtual box.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 09:29   #146
JFrisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by marekbm View Post

6:
i am not sure but macOS probably supports OPP/OBEX protocol so it should be able to use it for the update (but i have not experience). i think that only iOS does not support it. bit if macOS does not support it then it will also not works on virtual box.
Update from MacOS works fine, I'm using it myself.
Use the Bluetooth File transfer application in your Utilities folder. (Utilities folder is located in your Application folder where you usally find your apps.)
JFrisk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JFrisk For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 22:56   #147
reinis

Thanks a lot for the answers everyone! This seems as a truly awesome device, but unfortunately it is too expensive for me. If anyone is selling theirs, I would be happy to buy one! Thanks
reinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 22:54   #148
marekbm

some little improvement.

v2018-10-21_1
News
- Bootloader: If Bootloader is active then pairing is automatically accepted even if accepted by “Green button” is required in standard operation.
Fixed
- Modem: Some re-work. Fixed “Connecting…” message on Wavecom modems.
- Bluetooth: From time to time the message "Synch..." was too long and contacts were not read out.
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 14:54   #149
marekbm

little bug fix. if pairing acceptation is not set then it is not reason to update (from the previous version).

v2018-10-26_1
Fixed
- Modem: After pairing is accepted then it is not possible to dial a number from the PHM.
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 13:02   #150
TomS80

Hi Marek,

this morning I installed your device (bought trough a group buy from the Dutch V70 forum). Installation was very easy and everything seems to be working.
The only thing that I'm a little bit dissapointed about is the sound quality. Compared to the factory CD player or my old GROM USB/Bluetooth the volume is pretty low and it sounds like I am missing a lot of bass.
Is there any way to solve this? Maybe I've missed a setting or something?
A good friend of mine has the same problem with his XC70.
We both have a HU850 head unit (mine is in a S80)
TomS80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluetooth handsfree radio