Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hot start issue, starter won´t crank when hot

Views : 1435

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2018, 13:38   #1
FlashGordon68

Default Hot start issue, starter won´t crank when hot

Since I bought my 2006 D5 XC90 1 year ago, I'm having issues with a hot start problem.
Previously the symptoms were a long cranking time when engine was hot. No issues when cold, so I thought it couldn´t be the battery.
I've already replaced the starter and the battery in separated steps, and in each step it seemed it was solved, but after a while, the problem is back again.

Now, it's even worst. After driving a while if I stop the engine, I have to wait a litlle (10-15m) to cool it down before I can attempt to start it again. The starter won´t even turn, and it seems it makes a short-circuit to the battery because it drops to 9V.
I don´t know if it's possiblle, but I think I can have a heat soak problem with the starter. I haven´t tried yet using a booster cable directly from the battery to the starter suspecting it could be a corroded cable but I thing that would also cause problems when cold. Is it possible that a heat shield around the starter could prevent this from happening?

Thanks
FlashGordon68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 13:41   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I would not take for granted that the replacement starter is all good - the voltage drop is a sign that either it is siezing or you have a bad connection (depending on where you are measuring that voltage).

The longer cranking may be injectors - suggest you do a leak back test - lots of videos on Youtube on this. If they are leaking excessively it then takes longer for the fuel system to pressurise.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 16:17   #3
FlashGordon68

The minimum voltage value was taken from torque app using OBD connector. I guess this is the value present in the front fuse box and reported through ECM. The voltage level at the starter can be lower because you have an aditional cable from the fuse box to the starter. Anyway if it's already bad at the fuse box when trying to start the engine, maybe the end lead to the starter shouldn´t be the problem. I will try to put back the original starter to see if the behavior is the same. The new starter I've fitted it's equivalent, it also has bosch reference printed, but it is not from bosch. It was a lot cheaper than the original, so maybe the quality is not the same.
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 16:36   #4
4x4
I roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashGordon68 View Post
I'm having issues with a hot start problem.
Previously the symptoms were a long cranking time when engine was hot.

No issues when cold

Now, it's even worst. After driving a while if I stop the engine, I have to wait a litlle (10-15m) to cool it down before I can attempt to start it again.
A faulty crank position sensor will cause it to not start when hot although that wouldn't stop the starter from turning
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 19:04   #5
FlashGordon68

According to Volvo´s new features release information in 2006, regarding engine D5244T4 the cooling fan was supposed to work afterrun in order "to protect various engine components from overheating".
Mine doesn´t work when I stop the car, unless I've been driving with air conditioning on. Is this normal, does it have to be always working for a certain time after switching off engine?

VOLVO NEW CAR FEATURES 0520
Theroretical sessions
Engine D5244T4/T5/T6/T7
Afterrun
The cooling fan is activated for a certain time after the engine has been switched off in order to protect
various engine components from overheating.
Fan activation time and fan speed are dependent on coolant temperature and driving style (engine load) when
the engine is switched off. Afterrun takes place as follows:
• Initially a high speed is used, following which the speed is lowered in stages. There are three
"variants".
• When stage 4 (top fan speed) is used the afterrun initially continues for 360 seconds.
When stage 3 (intermediate speed) is used the afterrun initially continues for 255 seconds.
When stage 2 (next lowest speed) is used the afterrun initially continues for 150 seconds.
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 19:14   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

I would suggest that if the engine is cranking over at the normal rate, the problem isn't the starter motor at all.

This video shows how to do some simple multimeter tests on the starter motor and this video shows how to interpret live data to narrow down the issue.
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 21:46   #7
FlashGordon68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
I would suggest that if the engine is cranking over at the normal rate, the problem isn't the starter motor at all.

This video shows how to do some simple multimeter tests on the starter motor and this video shows how to interpret live data to narrow down the issue.
I'm following your channel on youtube since I bought this car. You rock, I'm not a mechanic and it's been very helpfull for me following your videos. I've almost downloaded all of those related to volvo D5. I have to say thank You for sharing all that great stuff and for the clarity of speech.

The problem is that when the engine is hot, it doesn´t crank at all, it behaves like a dead battery. The starter tries to turn over, but it seems it doesn´t have enough power and the voltage drops to 9.3v.
The attached image from torque, shows the data after switching off engine and trying to start it again.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OBD.jpg (198.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg new_starter.jpg (275.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg power_cable.jpg (336.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg ground_cable.jpg (223.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by FlashGordon68; Oct 5th, 2018 at 22:19.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlashGordon68 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 22:42   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Thank you for your kind words and I'm glad you find them useful.

Some further testing for you.....

If you have a multimeter, definitely follow the starter testing video but in addition, get a voltage reading by probing the small spade connector on the starter solenoid.
It should be zero when not attempting a start then battery voltage with the ignition key in the starting position.
No voltage at the spade during a starting attempt is an issue with the starter relay or spade wiring.

If there's voltage at the spade but no click from the starter solenoid, tap the solenoid with a piece of wood or heavy plastic during an attempted start.

Additionally clamp the red multimeter lead (set to DC Volts) to the starter body where it meets the engine and the black lead to the earth lead bolt on the chassis side during cranking.
Anything above 0.2 Volts DC suggests a knackered earth cable.

Better still, if you have a jump lead, connect it to the starter body at the engine and to the chassis.
This bypasses the main earth lead.
If the starter then turns, the earth lead is definitely toast.
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 22:47   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

I'll add that if the voltages check out and the earth bypass gives the same lame starting, you'll need to remove the starter and open it up.

There are detailed starter tear down and reassembly videos on my channel.
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 12:32   #10
KBB
Master Tech

Key test for your symptoms' of a no crank but heavy voltage drop is to use an inductive current clamp of the starter cable and measure amps, typical diesel starter will draw an initial 300 amp and once the starter turns about 250 amp steady. If you have high current draw and a heavy battery voltage drop then that would indicate the starter winding's are internally shorting causing high current draw and low magnetic field in the winding not enough to turn the motor.

Low current draw and battery voltage drop is a failing battery who's capacity has weakened.

Low current draw and little battery voltage drop is a high resistance in the starter circuit creating unwanted voltage drop.
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote