Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Abs?

Views : 1972

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 19:35   #1
john h
VOC Member

Question Abs?

Hi,

A couple of questions for 200 experts.

Can anyone tell me when did UK spec 240s get ABS brakes, either as an option or standard equipment, and which model variants had them?

Also, is it the same system as fitted to 700 cars? i.e. are the under-bonnet parts interchangeable?

Thanks

John
john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 19:41   #2
classicracing

Yes and No
Yes the 240 came with ABS on certain models after 90, my 91 240 SE has ABS as standard.
No the 740 system is different, discs are different, sensors are different, control unit is different
Richard
classicracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 19:54   #3
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

I didn't realise that any UK 240's came with ABS

You lives and you learns. Actually, I think I'm quite thankful that mine didn't something less to go wrong on a 19 year old car?
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 12:42   #4
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

I had a 'K' plate 240SE and it definitely did NOT have ABS, and the handbook made no mention of it; there wasn't even a warning lamp on the dash. I read somewhere (probably "Car and Driver") that the last year's run of the 240 for the American market was fitted with ABS.

Why do you want the added complication - you'd probably need to replace the entire braking system and plug in another black box, then hope the M.o.T. tester didn't find anything wrong? Cadence braking is cheaper......

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 20:32   #5
minesa240x3
loyalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicracing View Post
Yes and No
Yes the 240 came with ABS on certain models after 90, my 91 240 SE has ABS as standard.
No the 740 system is different, discs are different, sensors are different, control unit is different
Richard
Hi classicracing,my 91(J) 240SE,2.0L auto has as far as i am aware no ABS,but i have seen 240's advertised on ebay with ABS,not disagreeing with you as i have no idea myself.how would somebody find out if it is fitted,surely i would expect to see something very different from the norm on the braking system .
maybe towards the last models produced it was an optional extra just like the Torslanda had various spec items,,,,sunroof,cruise etc.
it would be nice to know the definative answer,so come all you 240 nuts what is the answer please.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 20:53   #6
Velorum
VOC Member

Ive searched through all of the old brochures that I have as well as looking on tinternet and I reckon that no UK 240's prior to 1990 had ABS after which is was an optional extra.

Not that I would want one anyway - as has already been stated, its just more to go wrong - best keep it simple me thinks.

To tell you the truth I dont like the electric gizmos that they do have such as windows, heated seats etc - I guess they had to be added to justify the relatively high price tag at the time. I would replace the front windows on both of my cars with manual winders if it wasnt such a hassle!
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 08:09   #7
john h
VOC Member

Smile

Useful info; thanks all.

I understand the keep-it-simple thinking. Electric seats/windows etc? Completely superfluous extra weight.

However, personally I think ABS is an exception and can be a life-saver... maybe a reflection on my driving!

I learnt about fixing ABS from an 1985 BMW M535i I owned. Once learned and demystified it's not difficult.

I'm thinking of installing it on my next project, hence finding out which Volvos were fitted.

Thanks again

John
john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 09:20   #8
Peter D
Peter D

I have one of the last 1993 240SE estate, no ABS. I far as I am aware they were only fiited to US/Canadian models. Regards Peter
Peter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 09:49   #9
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

I have come across it on one 240 locally - a late model. It is very obvious when you open the bonnet that it is there. I hate driving the car as the brakes eeem to lose their feel. I agree that ABS can have its points but the most important thing is defensive driving.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 22:31   #10
minesa240x3
loyalty

Smile

Thanks mike well the plot thickens,I must admit my brakes are even more interesting!as my 240 is an automatic i usually end up having to use the brakes more than i would like too,when creeping along in traffic they fade on and off which probaly means the disks are warped.still fantastic breaking and it just passed its mot with flying colours,soon to change the disks and pads anyway but still very interesting.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote