Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

20" Wheels - excessive road noise

Views : 102971

Replies : 1289

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2017, 09:15   #781
AB-UK
Premier Member

I know where there is a set of 18" Atlantis wheels with winter tyres from a Mk1 XC90 .
Does anyone know if the Volvo Atlantis wheels will fit the new XC90?
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2017, 09:20   #782
Dectcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver Dave View Post
The "B" pillar modification on my car did make quite a difference in lowering the level of road noise. I have also had a set of "Contisilent" tyre fitted to my 20" wheel (90% funded by Volvo) but have not tried them yet as I have 18" winter wheels/tyres on a the moment.

The winters are much quieter than the original Continentals even though they have a chunkier tread pattern.

Hope the "ContiSilents" live up to their name where I swap back to the 20" wheels in a couple of months or so.
Thanks Dave just what I was looking for. Hopefully the Contisilent tyres are the equal of your winter wheels/tyres when the temperatures rise again.

Are you now happy with your car in terms of road noise?
MY2016, D5 R-Design AWD, Bright Silver, Charcoal Napa Perforated Leather, Seven Seat Comfort Pack, HUD Winter Pack, Intellisafe Pro, Family Pack, Xenium Pack, BLIS, Sunroof, Tinted Windows, B & W, Tempa Spare Wheel
Dectcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2017, 09:28   #783
Driver Dave

Smile

As I said, Dectcs, the "B" pillar mod did make quite a difference to the noise level and with the 18" Winter wheels/tyres I am happy.

It will be interesting to see how the 20", "Contisilents" compare when I fit them in the spring.
Old Jan 20th, 2017, 15:22   #784
PerfidiousAlgernon

Default 19" wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
I know where there is a set of 18" Atlantis wheels with winter tyres from a Mk1 XC90 .
Does anyone know if the Volvo Atlantis wheels will fit the new XC90?
I have a set of 19" genuine Volvo wheels with Pirelli Scorpion Verde tyres which were on my Inscription if they'd be of interest.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2628150091...&ul_noapp=true
PerfidiousAlgernon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PerfidiousAlgernon For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2017, 21:25   #785
Trommel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I wonder how land rover get on ? I walk to work past a Land rover dealer and there are always ,land rovers and range rovers going up and down the road . As they go past at 30 - 40 mph with their huge tyres , the tyre noise is unbelievable , many times louder than anything else around including any new XC90 ....
Now the Defender has gone they all come with very tame road-biased tyres, and, in any case, they all have to comply with the same EU drive-by noise regs as everything else - think you might be imagining it.

As for tyre noise inside - unnoticeable in comparison with an XC90, even with Grabbers or Scorpion ATRs.
Trommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 10:31   #786
NandM

Hello - I've started discussions on getting quotes on an Inscription and would like to know if there have been any other reports of the B pillar mod making a difference to road noise.

Also, has anyone gone from standard to air and if so, what difference did you notice?

I have a test drive booked for the weekend with an Inscription on 20s.
NandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 12:44   #787
Torkrigare

Quote:
Originally Posted by NandM View Post
Hello - I've started discussions on getting quotes on an Inscription and would like to know if there have been any other reports of the B pillar mod making a difference to road noise.

Also, has anyone gone from standard to air and if so, what difference did you notice?

I have a test drive booked for the weekend with an Inscription on 20s.
I will be very interested to hear how you get on with your test drive at the weekend given I've just ordered the XC90 Inscription on 20s. I did a test drive but it was the Momentum on 18s or 19s, I think. My my2011 XC90 is perfectly fine on the noise front but has little in common with the new my2017 xc90s.

While the thrust of this thread concerns me, I can't help feeling it's perhaps not as bad in real-world terms. Time will tell and I look forward to hearing your thoughts...
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 12:52   #788
Torshen

Is there a difference in the way pillars are constructed between the Momentum and Inscription versions? Or anything else that affects noise which is different from one version to another?

I sincerely hope not as to do my spec on Inscription actually worked out several thousand pounds more expensive than it did on Momentum.
XC90 D5 Momentum (MY18), Osmium Grey, 22" wheels, Blond nappa, Winter + HUD, Xenium, Illumination, Family, Seat Pack, 12.3" display, 230v 3-pin, Heated rear seats, Tinted, CarPlay, Side running boards, Thinkware F770 F+R
Torshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 13:32   #789
Razer

I very much doubt it.
MY05 - S60 D5 SE (2006-2009)
Razer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 13:50   #790
NandM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexberry View Post
I will be very interested to hear how you get on with your test drive at the weekend given I've just ordered the XC90 Inscription on 20s. I did a test drive but it was the Momentum on 18s or 19s, I think. My my2011 XC90 is perfectly fine on the noise front but has little in common with the new my2017 xc90s.

While the thrust of this thread concerns me, I can't help feeling it's perhaps not as bad in real-world terms. Time will tell and I look forward to hearing your thoughts...
Same here - given the number of forum members that have it vs those that are experiencing noise issues, it does seem like it is limited...a poll would be interesting - but there are so many variable factors!

Do you have a delivery date for yours? Most dealerships I've spoken with are struggling to get anything registered before the new VED kicks in...but fortunately my local is confident they can.

I'll report back on Sat....although I notice you have air so it will be different for you.
NandM is offline   Reply With Quote