Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car Insurance

Views : 2047

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 13:25   #1
lalith16

Default Car Insurance

To those who this might help; these are the benefits I found taking a policy with Aviva:

1) They don’t apply extra loadings, i.e. premium, if one decides to have Polestar Performance Optimisation applied to their Volvo even if this is done post-delivery of the car by the dealer.

2) Aviva do something called Aviva Drive App where you download the app on to a smartphone and start tracking journeys. What the app does is tracks the journeys, then assesses the driving skills over 200miles and then gives out a score. Based on a score out of 10 one can become eligible for upto 28% discount. I scored 9 out of 10 and received 28% discount, that was quite a sizeable discount for me. The cool thing is one doesn’t have to be an existing Aviva policy holder to do this. So, one can download the app and start using it to generate a score, which they can use to get a quote on a new policy with the appropriate discount applied depending on the score. One can do this even before they got their new car delivered and started driving; the score is based on driving skills and not on which car(s) is being driven. Existing Aviva customers can also use the app to generate the score. However, they will get the discount only at the time of their next renewal.

One thing I would suggest is to generate a quote either online or over the phone without the score applied and note down the quote number. Then ring the customer services and give them the score once that is available to be applied to the original quote. That way one can be sure that the discount has been applied.
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 16:18   #2
XC90Dreamer

Thanks for the tip. Renewed my Aviva with the drive app score discount.
I paid roughly £366 today. My score was above 9 in drive app.
Admiral came up with a quote of £850.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalith16 View Post
To those who this might help; these are the benefits I found taking a policy with Aviva:

1) They don’t apply extra loadings, i.e. premium, if one decides to have Polestar Performance Optimisation applied to their Volvo even if this is done post-delivery of the car by the dealer.

2) Aviva do something called Aviva Drive App where you download the app on to a smartphone and start tracking journeys. What the app does is tracks the journeys, then assesses the driving skills over 200miles and then gives out a score. Based on a score out of 10 one can become eligible for upto 28% discount. I scored 9 out of 10 and received 28% discount, that was quite a sizeable discount for me. The cool thing is one doesn’t have to be an existing Aviva policy holder to do this. So, one can download the app and start using it to generate a score, which they can use to get a quote on a new policy with the appropriate discount applied depending on the score. One can do this even before they got their new car delivered and started driving; the score is based on driving skills and not on which car(s) is being driven. Existing Aviva customers can also use the app to generate the score. However, they will get the discount only at the time of their next renewal.

One thing I would suggest is to generate a quote either online or over the phone without the score applied and note down the quote number. Then ring the customer services and give them the score once that is available to be applied to the original quote. That way one can be sure that the discount has been applied.
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Dreamer For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 16:39   #3
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

I went for Aviva last year when I bought my S90, and moved (now the wife's) S80 as well. We already had house insurance with them so the discounts mounted up.
I'll try the app now as well ..
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 17:25   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Do you have to keep being tracked for the term of the policy?
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 17:40   #5
XC90Dreamer

Nopes...First 200 miles and in that you can specifically select which journeys you want to count towards your 200 mile mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Dreamer For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 21:46   #6
markjm58

I'm with Aviva too, always found them to be excellent and the App on your phone to manage your account is really handy.

Wee tip as well, make sure you use Quidco as they frequently have cashback offers, i insured our other car this year, price was £248, i got £105.55 cash back through quidco paid directly into my account 2 months later!

To be fair i always do the quote first so i know the price, then go through quidco the next day and just put my quote number in so i know im not being bumped up on price!

https://www.quidco.com/user/5402797/2888099/

If you use my link to sign up, you'll get a £5 bonus reward
markjm58 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to markjm58 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 02:49   #7
lalith16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
No, you don’t have to unless you want to keep collecting several achievement badges. These badges won’t give you any more discount anyway; it is just the score that matters when it comes to discount. The only other time you would want to use the app is when you get closer to the renewal time to make yourself once again eligible for a new discount on your renewal quote with a newer score.
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 03:03   #8
lalith16

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjm58 View Post
I'm with Aviva too, always found them to be excellent and the App on your phone to manage your account is really handy.

Wee tip as well, make sure you use Quidco as they frequently have cashback offers, i insured our other car this year, price was £248, i got £105.55 cash back through quidco paid directly into my account 2 months later!

To be fair i always do the quote first so i know the price, then go through quidco the next day and just put my quote number in so i know im not being bumped up on price!

https://www.quidco.com/user/5402797/2888099/

If you use my link to sign up, you'll get a £5 bonus reward
Quidco’s t&c’s say that their cashback won’t be paid if Aviva Drive App discount is paid and IMO the drive app discount would be higher in most cases than the Quidco’s current cashback offer of £50. Furthermore, Quidco’s cashback is only offered to new Aviva customers and isn’t offered on renewals.
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 16:12   #9
Ukwide

Default Insurance

I’ve got my 2010 S80 SE Lux D5 with a Polestar upgrade, 2006 M-B CLK270 CDi and my wife’s 2014 Citroen C3 1.6 Elegance auto with Admiral on a multi car policy. No excess loading, no mileage restrictions, hire car if anything happens and full windscreen cover for £609 per year all in, can’t get better anywhere else.
Ukwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 19:40   #10
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

its always 'interesting' to discuss insurance with others as we invariably find our own experience is never quite the same - and we're all different any (circumstances etc..). But I do seem to recall a few years ago when my S80 was with Admiral I asked about a hypothetical case of a Polestar upgrade, and they wouldn't entertain it at all. May be different now ...