Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ABS Light EML Light and No Cruise Control

Views : 970

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2018, 21:30   #1
Ian Wake

Default ABS Light EML Light and No Cruise Control

V70 Auto
Driving along at 50 ish today on cruise control. Car juddered, cruise switched off and ABS light came on. Stopped and restarted, ABS stayed on and EML then came on. Any ideas? MoTs due on 26th, on 173k miles.
Ian Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 21:56   #2
DunkinBiskits
Master Member

ABS system has either lost a wheel speed signal / receiving and erroneous signal or the module has dry joints on the 12v, although that would usually illuminate the TRACS light too but it could also be a simple cracked ABS ring (£2 on eBay) or a duff wheel speed sensor aswell

you dont say what year car you have, but youll need either Vol FCR or VIDA to diagnose the culprit.

State what year car you are, and whereabouts in the world you are. If somebody is close to you and can help, im sure they will.

Dunc

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
Torque is how far you take the wall with you

Last edited by DunkinBiskits; Mar 10th, 2018 at 21:58.
DunkinBiskits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DunkinBiskits For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 22:41   #3
Ian Wake

I'm in Glenrothes, Fife

It's a 2000 W Reg
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 19:57   #4
7 Seat Sports Car

Mine did this last year. As Dunkin said, there are more than one possible culprits. You’ll need to inspect the toothed reluctor rings on your cv joints for damage. The teeth pass by a sensor allowing rotational speed to be calculated so if the ring is snapped you get a bigger gap and the system locks out. Also if the teeth have corroded away (mine had done this years ago) then no signal will be detected. Check the actual abs sensor wiring to see if you have a broken wire(s).

If nothing looks out of order then smart money says its the abs module has broken solder joints. I re-soldered mine as I had my dash light up like a christmas tree. No TRACS light as the car doesn’t have it fitted.

I used to live in Glenrothes so could have helped you but back down in the shire now.
The Following User Says Thank You to 7 Seat Sports Car For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 14:52   #5
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

My money is also on this but.... you'll need a code reader, could be the very issue I've just posted on. ie: nothing to do with the above. Without one, you're guessing, and you'll feck about all day. Best budget reader is a iCarsoft i906 becuase it's Volvo specific.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Mar 13th, 2018 at 14:57.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 20:10   #6
Ian Wake

Sunday
Fault on OBDII Reader :
Wheel speed sensor, front left incorrect or no signal.

ABS Light went out. EML stayed on.

Monday
EML light went out
Car Runs fine now

Go figure