Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 Turbo - Auto to Manual swap?

Views : 1205

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2018, 18:43   #1
726PAV
780 Owner

Default 740 Turbo - Auto to Manual swap?

Hi

I have a 780 Turbo (Auto) I am currently working on, and wondered whether a swap to manual would be viable and whether it has been done before (more likely on a 740 I am guessing?)

Does anyone have any experience of doing this and if so how difficult it was, cost etc?

Thanks!
726PAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 21:50   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

First, you'll devalue the 780 by about 99% by converting it i would think and second, while it's a viable proposition, you'll need a left hand drive pedal box, clutch hydraulics, M47 gearbox, lever, interior gear lever surround including the rubber seal, clutch assembly, manual gearbox loom (for the reverse light switch and inhibitor switch link-out) and a lot of time and patience.

There may be other parts i've missed, it's the best part of 30 years since i did some auto-manual conversions and they were mainly SD1 V8s and Granada V6s although i did some others i can't remember now.

You may also find that if your current auto-box is electronic, the engine doesn't run right because it's not getting feedback from the auto-box ECU, particularly under boost conditions.

Personally i'd leave it as is and enjoy it!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 21:53   #3
capt jack
VOC Member

Many years ago I owned a 1987 740 manual saloon, and I asked then about converting it to auto. I was told that in theory it's quite possible, but in practice, at the time (1993-ish) it would be better simply to buy a different car - so I did! The replacement was a newer 940.

Apart from the gearbox swap itself, presumably you'd need a new bell-housing, clutch (and hydraulics), a pedal box, rear diff and possibly a new propshaft.

Not sure if there'd be much in the way of electrickery to swap over, but possibly the speedo and reverse lights might be the sort of unforeseen hiccup along the way.

Nothing is impossible of course, but my initial guess would be expensive with the potential to be problematical. Plus you'd risk actually devaluing the car because it'd no longer be to the original spec. Also, would it possibly cause insurance problems?

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 22:09   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Apart from the gearbox swap itself, presumably you'd need a new bell-housing, clutch (and hydraulics), a pedal box, rear diff and possibly a new propshaft.

Jack
Rear diff? Just use the one that's in there and it saves any problems with the speedo! Also, the autos usually have a higher ratio (3.54 or 3.73 instead of 3.91 or 4.1) back axle so it gives more relaxed cruising and better economy.

Fairly sure the donor car providing the box could provide the other bits like the bellhousing (thanks, i forgot that bit!) and propshaft but if using the M47 box, i'm fairly sure the propshafts are interchangeable - might be wrong though.

Speedo sensor is on the diff, reverse lights you'd need the manual gearbox loom - a short bit of loom that bypasses the inhibitor switch and connects to the reverse light switch on the box.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 15:51   #5
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 726PAV View Post
Hi

I have a 780 Turbo (Auto) I am currently working on, and wondered whether a swap to manual would be viable and whether it has been done before (more likely on a 740 I am guessing?)

Does anyone have any experience of doing this and if so how difficult it was, cost etc?

Thanks!
I would expect the answer to be probably not and probably not.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 19:15   #6
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

You will need:

A M46, yes the one with overdrive. Flywheel, clutch fully. Or a
M90, flywhhel and a conversion kit to go without the dual mass flywheel. Best would be a TTV solution.
Clutch pedal, you have to change the whole peadal box. Clutch master, one hard line, one soft line. Bracket to hold the connection of both.
Short wiring to get the reverse light working, and the overdrive if you go with the M46 . Different relay to this. They do switch in opposite direction. AW 71: Light on - OD off
M46: light on - OD on

Different mounting bracket to the rear end of the gearbox, different to the M46 and the M90 too.
With M46 you have to swap at minimum the front half of the driveshaft, different lenght between AW and M46.
Full different driveshaft with the M90.

Depends on year of production of your 780 you need different parts.
Best would be to find a donor car of same year.

And why you want to swap? The AW does work fine, whow many miles/km does the 780 have on the clock?

good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 12:31   #7
baggy798
🤍💙💗

I've swapped a 740 turbo, it was quite easy really. If the 780 uses the 740 brake/clutch pedal assembly and gearbox crossmember, then it should be straightforward.

http://s122.photobucket.com/user/bag...?sort=3&page=1
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 20:05   #8
726PAV
780 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
I've swapped a 740 turbo, it was quite easy really. If the 780 uses the 740 brake/clutch pedal assembly and gearbox crossmember, then it should be straightforward.

http://s122.photobucket.com/user/bag...?sort=3&page=1
Thanks!
726PAV is offline   Reply With Quote