Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

From XC60 to Porsche Macan or BMW X3?

Views : 160101

Replies : 1567

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2017, 23:17   #1511
soupytwister
Master Member

Given you rejected the F-Pace with this issue, can't see you ever being satisfied in the short term with this issue in the Velar. So :

a) reject it now and save any losses
b) wait until issue *may* be resolved, but more difficult to reject at a later date

However :
c) is it really really bad, or could you live with it given most other F-Pace & Velar drivers aren't rejecting? Do the advantages of the Velar outweigh the issue, or will it just niggle forever & ever?

d) if the 25k Skoda had the same issue, would you reject or accept?
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 23:24   #1512
vadre

Such a disappointing outcome to your experience with JLR products. The very fact that you are relaying this sad tale to the forum leads me to believe that you will not be entirely happy, whatever the solution if you stick with the Velar.

For me, go get a 2 year old Lexus RX or similar and spend the change from your £70K on a posh motorhome.
vadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 00:02   #1513
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Perhaps, but Arianne was looking for 6 cylinders ....
I so feel for you Arianne, what a dilemma to be in.
You are a man who sets high standards and rightly so expect a £70k car to perform as expected but as we all know cars are not always 100% perfect especially when a brand new leading edge design which "maybe" had not been tested in all its different configurations.

So what to do, two basic choices:
1. Personally I would keep Velar but switch down to a 20" wheel size with the dealer paying for a new full set of 20' which allows you to maintain the option to switch back to your 21" if/when JLR can ever fix their design fault in say 12 months time.
There will be no point whatsoever keeping on the car the 21" wheels as your finely tuned ears will be constantly seeking out the sound.
For whats its worth, my brother-in-law recently purchased a similar Velar on 20" and he loves it - and he has a garage full of sports cars with none less than £150k each. His argument is that on his proper sports cars - McLaren/Ferrari/Porsche - he will expect extremely low profile "band of rubber" tyres but in his Velar that is sometimes taken offload for shooting a 20" is the largest size that feels right (note I said feels not looks right......)
2. Another option could be to try out the new XC60 T8 Inscription Pro with a list price of c£58k plus sensible options take it to about £68k before discounts.
With Polestar you are looking at 334BHP, 325 Nm torque and a 0-60 of 5.2 secs which is enough to put a smile on most people's faces.....!!!

Two options and I think you will go with the 1st as being the most logical and sensible choice. Get the dealer to pay for the most best looking set of 20" that are out there - they or rather JLR owe you one "big time".
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 00:19   #1514
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
Get the dealer to pay for the most best looking set of 20" that are out there - they or rather JLR owe you one "big time".
But is the 20" wheel a 100% cure for the (true cause of the) problem or does it merely 'mask' the issue ?
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 00:24   #1515
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
New XC60 must be looking favourite - especially as engine issues are sorted
Clearly the only answer: you know you belong here!!

Actually I would probably follow simonjedrake's advice......

Anyway, in other news: what is it with the Baggies and opposition manager sackings???
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 13:31   #1516
Crockers
Premier Member

A part of me thinks you knew this was a possibility. Both cars are practically the same.

To reject this car is of course your perogative but if the 20" wheels sort the problem I can't see the issue. These cars are designed to go off road therefore pretty 21 or 22 inch wheels is (imho) just "tarting" up the car.

You use the car for work so comfort is very important not bling (unless your job entails pharmaceutical distribution)

If you reject the car then I think JLR relationship is over. I think and admire how they've bent over backwards to accommodate you. Don't think Volvo would have been so accommodating. Lexus dealers are superb. Talking of Superb.....there may lie your answer

Having just looked at JLR website I notice the Velar first edition comes with 22" wheels as standard. So wtf are they playing at. Surely this car was tested to death so I find it very hard to believe yours is the first they have noticed this noise. So maybe walking away may be the better option.

The new Porsche Cayenne looks great imho. As does the Audi Q8. Got to admit 1st world problems can make you smile.

Last edited by Crockers; Oct 19th, 2017 at 13:39. Reason: After going on the LandRover website
Crockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 15:22   #1517
NigelDay
Premier Member

Default Version 1.0 issues

Not wishing to add to what has probably been expressed already (somewhere in preceding 1516 posts !), two points need to be made.
1. The F-Pace was (perhaps) a little rushed onto the scene to fill an obvious market niche. Ditto the Velar -- although as Crockers correctly states, the running gear is rather similar. The 'problem' - whatever it is - is not fully understood by JLR, otherwise they would have nailed it, full stop. We should remember Volvo have had a similar issues with the extensive time it took to understand and (hopefully) cure the VEA EGR issue, which again has all the hallmarks of an engine being rushed into production before it was tested to death. The SPA XC90 has also had its issues since launch. Having said that, whether it is cars or any other product, it is often said that only when many thousands of consumers get to test it do the real issues start to surface.
2. The F-Pace / Velar platform and mechanicals are new. Essentially version 1.0. Unless the timing is such the you really need a NEW car now, it's probably best to avoid version 1.0 models. So the advice to either lease for a year or two, or buy an Audi or Lexus, is probably the safer option. Add the minimal discounts available in year 1, and specifications not yet fully rolled-out, would make me very unwilling to buy early in the life-cycle.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 18:14   #1518
NigelDay
Premier Member

Default 5-litre V8

VERY fast, but with those wheels ???
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jaguar/...rce=newsletter
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 18:14   #1519
Arianne
Premier Member

Hello folks,

Thank you for your kind words and opinions (all of which are appreciated, whatever they are).

After a lengthy family discussion last night and a further discussion with my dealer this morning, we have decided upon Option 1 - persevere, keep the car and work with the dealer and JLR to find a solution.

There are a number of reasons for this....

Firstly, the dealer has agreed to provide an open-ended extension to the period within which a ‘no cost’ rejection can occur. We have agreed to work together and keep reviewing the position as events unfold.

Secondly, we just don’t fancy any other car. We certainly tried last night but there is nothing else we want. The noise is, as I have said, not as loud as on the earlier F-Pace.

Thirdly, both the dealership and we think that, because of the Technical Bulletin which has been issued for a proposed fix on the F-Pace, JLR don’t need to start from the very beginning. Back in early 2017 JLR had absolutely no idea what was causing the problem. They were scratching around in the dark. The dealer handed us a print out of the Topix Bulletin and it is clear that JLR think they have found the cause and the solution on the F-Pace. They also clearly state that the noise doesn’t affect the performance, reliability or safety of the Jaguar until the fix is implemented.

Fourthly, we are exhausted with it all and we just cannot face the upheaval of another rejection and all that goes with it.

So there we have it. Holly will be booked in for some sound auditioning, the noise will be recorded on an MP3 file and sent to JLR. In the meantime, the dealer has promised to try their very best to look after us and allocate the best available cars from their courtesy fleet. They have also agreed to work so that, in the event that this is still ongoing by the time we leave for our Xmas ski-drive holiday, our Velar will be available to us or a proper alternative will be provided.

Okay, that’s it. Thank you again to everyone who took the time to share their thoughts and opinions with me. Our decision is a judgement call. There is no right or wrong.

Best wishes,

Arianne
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 18:34   #1520
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
Hello folks,

Thank you for your kind words and opinions (all of which are appreciated, whatever they are).

So there we have it. Holly will be booked in for some sound auditioning, the noise will be recorded on an MP3 file and sent to JLR. In the meantime, the dealer has promised to try their very best to look after us and allocate the best available cars from their courtesy fleet. They have also agreed to work so that, in the event that this is still ongoing by the time we leave for our Xmas ski-drive holiday, our Velar will be available to us or a proper alternative will be provided.

Okay, that’s it. Thank you again to everyone who took the time to share their thoughts and opinions with me. Our decision is a judgement call. There is no right or wrong.

Best wishes,

Arianne
Arianne

As hinted last night, I was 95% expecting this decision ...... and I think its the correct one for your situation.
BUT whilst you are in the "driving seat" with JLR & your dealer, I would still suggest that you push for/request a full set of top spec 20" wheels/tyres keeping your existing 21" set until JLR have identified and corrected the fix ....... when the dealer can then have the 20" set back.

From my limited mechanical engineering knowledge I am not expecting this to be a straightforward fix which may even lead to JLR having to recall the 21" offending wheels and redesign a whole new wheel with different set of physical characteristics to match those of the cars drivetrain.

Tags
bmw x3, porsche macan