Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Satnav update

Views : 484

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2018, 14:06   #1
migrator
Aye - him again

Default Satnav update

I have purchased this item from the Bay for my S80 (05 plate).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-RTI...53.m2749.l2649

The CDs have just arrived here today (very early) and I need some info before I start to dabble.

Do I need to 'install' the update CD before loading the appropriate map CD?

All advice much appreciated.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 17:28   #2
migrator
Aye - him again

I tried the UK CD but git the message that the CD could not be read. I tried the update CD and got the message that it was loading a new program (with a progress bar being updated at the foot of the display screen. At thye end of the program load the RTI home screen was presented but soon changed to a request for a map CD to be loaded. I tried each of the three map CDs in turn but each gave the message that the CD could not be read, followed by a request to use the Volvo cleaning CD. I will need to find one of those now.

VOC 11817
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 20:10   #3
Simon Jones
Premier Member

They are (should be) DVD rather than CD so hopefully what they've sent is correct. When I got a new set, the software update was part of the UK map disc & there was no separate disc as there appears to be on that ebay link. Any instructions in the pack?
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 21:17   #4
migrator
Aye - him again

The four discs are all original Volvo kit. The software update is a CD and the three map discs are DVD. No instructions have been sent. Seller's feedback is 231 positive/2 negative. Buyers are multi nationals giving good reports on the quality of the items.

I do not know the history of the in car kit, hence the suggestion of the cleaning disc. New ones are selling (from Germany) at about £80.00 but there are others at around £30 for my car. Perhaps it will be possible to borrow one from a local member.

VOC 11817
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 21:40   #5
Simon Jones
Premier Member

It's a good idea to use the cleaning disc but if it was reading the old (potentially scratched / dirty) DVDs then it ought to read the nice fresh new ones with no problems. Are they definately genuine Volvo discs or copies? Often home-made discs highlight any weakness in a relatively tired laser.

I've got the proper Volvo cleaning disc that you are welcome to borrow if you can cover the cost of postage?
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2018, 09:28   #6
migrator
Aye - him again

PM sent.

VOC 11817
Old Mar 14th, 2018, 10:54   #7
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by migrator View Post
The four discs are all original Volvo kit. The software update is a CD and the three map discs are DVD.
On the Volvo DVD nav drive, the CD laser is only used for software updates, and the DVD laser is used for reading the map DVDs.
So the CD has much less operational hours on it that the DVD laser.
This is often why the CD can be read OK but the DVD is more difficult to read.

If a DVD drive can read a CD but struggles to read a DVD then it is normally one of two things:

1. CD Laser is OK but DVD Laser is old and weak. You can try cleaning (see point 2), but if that doesn't work the only solution is a new laser (or new drive, or new nav unit)

2. Laser lens is dusty / dirty. A gently clean with a cotton bud and isopropyl alcohol or window cleaner (streak free) is called for. You want to remove the dust and grime from the laser lens. Affects CD and DVD reading equally, but if the DVD laser is weak and the CD laser is strong, then the effect can be more noticable when reading DVDs.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post: