Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel pump whine?

Views : 2503

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2018, 19:16   #1
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

Default Fuel pump whine?

Hi all

When the 240 starts to get low on fuel, I can hear a dull whining sound coming from the back. I don't think it used to do that. And I'm fairly sure that the sound is less prominent if the tank is full.

The car is not missing or intermittent - it's running fine - but I was wondering if I should do tests or something to prevent a future break-down?

The pumps haven't been touched in the 11 years I've had the car, but I changed the fuel filter about 2010-ish (25-30,000 miles ago).

Thanks
John
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 23:01   #2
Lucien
VOC Member

Is this the twin pumps on an injected car? A lift pump in the tank and inline main pump under the middle of the car? If so, it's usually a failing in-tank pump or air getting in, causing the inline main pump to gurgle. They're noisy but don't seem to completely fail - just get noisier.

If you're keeping the car, probably best get it sorted, but the replacements don't seem that good from what I've read.

There's also some talk about checking the fuses (fuse 5?) to make sure the in-tank pump is working. Or listen (ear to tank filler pipe) for the sound of the pump running.

This is a job I need to do too! They all seem to whine a bit.

Regards
Lucien
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucien For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2018, 10:59   #3
morsing
Premier Member

Don't think it's a pump problem, it's just sucking in air somewhere.
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2018, 17:04   #4
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

As said above, it'll be one of the pumps dying that puts pressure on the other. Happens often in 240s now they are getting old. It'll put pressure on the other and they can eventually die leaving you stranded.

You'll need to find out which one is whining and replace it....but they arent cheap whichever one you do as usually the senders are rusty and once disturbed they will fall to pieces.

Its wise to buy a new sender unit, seal and lock ring if you are going into the tank to check that fuel pump or replace it with a new standard one.

The cheaper and more modern option that I have done loads of times is to remove the external pump completely and pipe between it then buy a Walbro 255 from Conceptua Tuning and fit that in the tank in place of the small in tank pump.....unfortunately you'll still need a new sender unit, seal and lock ring.

This is more than man enough to flow a 240 as they are designed for cars up to 400bhp.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2018, 18:37   #5
morsing
Premier Member

What year is this car?

It's definitaly not a failing main pump, even if it's probably the main pump making the noise.

If it happens at lower fuel levels, could be a failing in-tank pump or just a split hose in the tank. Why start a major project just for that. The in-tank assemblies are not that expensive and the main fuel pumps seem to go on for ever - no need to get rid of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to morsing For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2018, 22:34   #6
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

Thanks Henrik

The car is a 92 240SE B200f/manual.

What would be the best bet for buying a new in-tank pump - and what other parts would be needed at the same time eg hoses, gasket etc?

Thanks in advance
John

PS I'm sure I've seen a thread about this before but I couldn't find it on a search.
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2018, 23:38   #7
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Brookhouse Volvo sells new in tank pumps for about £42 plus postage.

I'd buy a new sender unit as yours will probably be rusty a new seal for the top and a lock ring. All available from Brookhouse Volvo.

I'm always of the mindset upgrade when replace which is why I fit Walbro 255s. If I'm spending £42 on a standard pump then I'd rather spend £78 on a Walbro that's better made and more than man enough for the job.

That being said, our 240s run turbo engines and the more fuel you have the more reliable it'll be.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 07:29   #8
morsing
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Jim View Post
Thanks Henrik

The car is a 92 240SE B200f/manual.

What would be the best bet for buying a new in-tank pump - and what other parts would be needed at the same time eg hoses, gasket etc?

Thanks in advance
John

PS I'm sure I've seen a thread about this before but I couldn't find it on a search.
Hi,

These two articles support in-tank pump dying but main pump being fine:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=130176
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Fue...eplacement.htm

I agree with Antz, replace the whole sender unit. The fuel lines are quite often rusty and will eventually snap.

I bought a non-Volvo in-tank pump ten years ago, and it's still going strong, but I can't remember where I got it from or how much it was.

I would also suggest buying or borrowing a proper lock-ring tool as the hammer/chisel method is a bit un-pleasant.
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 09:55   #9
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

The first thing is surely to establish whether the in-tank pump really has failed, by listening at the fuel filler flap. You can run the pumps without starting the engine by connecting a temporary wire between the input side of fuses 4 and 6. You can isolate an individual pump by removing the fuse.
As Morsing says, the noise is most probably the main pump working harder, because either the small pump has failed, or air is being sucked in through a corroded pipe inside the tank, or where the pipes emerge from the top of the unit.
If the latter is identified, you can make a temporary (ie permanent ) repair with a gauze bandage and repair resin.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 07:39   #10
liamcafs

I made a little tool to make removing the tank lock ring a whole lot easier. I'll post a picture or youre welcome to borrow it for the postage.

I appreciate there are a lot of folk who want to keep their cars original but I followed Antz advice and replace both pumps with a single AEM in-tank pump when my tank pump started to whine.
'99 V70 AWD 155k miles SOLD
Link to my 240 Engine Swap Build Thread
liamcafs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to liamcafs For This Useful Post: