Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

960 losing coolant

Views : 2673

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2018, 11:55   #21
Chris50

Thanks everyone for the advice....if the amalgamating tape doesn't hold I will be off to Screwfix...great tip.
Chris50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris50 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2018, 11:56   #22
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Pic shamelessly stolen from Toolstation!

As i was recommending their product i don't think they can sue me for copyright though!
As you used it non-commercially, what damages can they claim ???

And you have attributed the picture !!!!!!!!

I should have been a lawyer.

I like that get you home approach to the hose Dave.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2018, 11:57   #23
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris50 View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice....if the amalgamating tape doesn't hold I will be off to Screwfix...great tip.
Good plan. Dave has giving you a good tip to keep the car going.
Old Sep 15th, 2018, 13:06   #24
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Dave. We disagree. And the amount of money is so small it might not worry the chap who owns the car. Anyway let us not dispute.

My view remains. The pressure cap might not have been considered already. Or it might not. The hose is leaking. That is crucial. The cap might be at fault but only because it is so far possibly an unknown quantity.

I don't know the answer.

The hose is leaking.

One thing at a time.

We're not disagreeing or disputing, merely looking at it with different attitudes.

When the system was pressure tested, the cap automatically became a consideration as it should have been removed to fit the pressure tester. Therefore if no leak was found under the pressure test (as was the case because the hose was intact at that time) then that points to the original leak being the cap - the only item NOT tested during the pressure test.

Q.E.D. or in the vernacular, simples!

I have to confess to wondering about the state of the other hoses, they must all be a similar age i would think and have all suffered overheating from the leaky rad.

The hose has since burst, quite probably weakened over time due to the fact it was overheating, airlocks ensued which would cause an effect similar to water-hammer in a domestic water system. As the hose was no doubt old and already weakened by the excess temperature, any of the effects from the airlocks would have weakened it further.

Prolonged use after the satisfactory pressure test would have put the hose under a minimum of 16.5psi constant pressure when hot. The hose is being fixed, there is a chance other hoses have also been weakened but there is a very high chance the pressure cap isn't functioning as it should and for the cost, worth fitting a new one as a precautionary measure if nothing else.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2018, 13:24   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
If you've wrapped insulating tape round the self-amalgamating (or self-fusing as they seem to call it these days) tape to seal and protect it, then it certainly should.

In the past i've used self-amalgamating tape to seal the cable entry into pipe angle sensors on the dredge head of suction dredgers that usually dredge at a depth of 25-30m and never had one leak.

You can see the dredge head more or less dead centre where the guy in the orange suit is working. Worst problem on those was having to replace the SWA if it got snagged on something and damaged - it's a long pipe and if it was the head angle sensor cable rather than the gimble (the black donut halfway along) angle sensor, that was one very long cable attached to the outside of the dredge pipe!

Much higher pressure down there than in a cooling system, assuming there isn't a problem between the combustion chambers/cylinders and the water jacket but hopefully the K-Seal will have filled that void!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 15th, 2018, 14:31   #26
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
We're not disagreeing or disputing, merely looking at it with different attitudes.

When the system was pressure tested, the cap automatically became a consideration as it should have been removed to fit the pressure tester. Therefore if no leak was found under the pressure test (as was the case because the hose was intact at that time) then that points to the original leak being the cap - the only item NOT tested during the pressure test.

Q.E.D. or in the vernacular, simples!

I have to confess to wondering about the state of the other hoses, they must all be a similar age i would think and have all suffered overheating from the leaky rad.

The hose has since burst, quite probably weakened over time due to the fact it was overheating, airlocks ensued which would cause an effect similar to water-hammer in a domestic water system. As the hose was no doubt old and already weakened by the excess temperature, any of the effects from the airlocks would have weakened it further.

Prolonged use after the satisfactory pressure test would have put the hose under a minimum of 16.5psi constant pressure when hot. The hose is being fixed, there is a chance other hoses have also been weakened but there is a very high chance the pressure cap isn't functioning as it should and for the cost, worth fitting a new one as a precautionary measure if nothing else.
Frankly I see holes leaking in that theorising. But anyway time will tell. It still could be the cap also, or it could not. Time will tell.

Old Sep 15th, 2018, 14:49   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The only hole in that theory is the one that the expansion tank cap fits onto or in the case of the pressure test, the pressure tester - hence not being possible to test the cap as part of the system.

However, if the pressure test showed no leaks on an otherwise sealed system and it's still losing coolant, the fault has to be the cap. There are no other possibilities or holes, metaphoric or otherwise!

Old Sep 15th, 2018, 15:18   #28
Chris50

Quote:
If you've wrapped insulating tape round the self-amalgamating (or self-fusing as they seem to call it these days) tape to seal and protect it, then it certainly should.

In the past i've used self-amalgamating tape to seal the cable entry into pipe angle sensors on the dredge head of suction dredgers that usually dredge at a depth of 25-30m and never had one leak.

You can see the dredge head more or less dead centre where the guy in the orange suit is working. Worst problem on those was having to replace the SWA if it got snagged on something and damaged - it's a long pipe and if it was the head angle sensor cable rather than the gimble (the black donut halfway along) angle sensor, that was one very long cable attached to the outside of the dredge pipe!

Much higher pressure down there than in a cooling system, assuming there isn't a problem between the combustion chambers/cylinders and the water jacket but hopefully the K-Seal will have filled that void!
Hiya yes I have glued the crack in the pipe then covered entire pipe with amalgamating tape twice and then two layers of insulating tape.Just had it running for 10 mins to warm up and seems ok.I have ordered the other pipes as well so will be replaced as a precaution.Actually the old radiator wasn't leaking too badly and car never overheated but I thought would be keeping car for long time as was really impressed with the driving experience ....like sitting in a big comfy leather armchair driving up the road😀.
I'm assuming the tape will be ok with the temperature of the water?
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris50 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2018, 15:35   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm assuming the tape will be ok with the temperature of the water?
Most self-amalgamating tapes are good within the range of about -10C to 130C but it varies. Depends which one you have but generally if you've wrapped the insulting tape tightly round the outside to seal it, then it should do the job, at least until the new hose arrives, just be a little "sympathetic" to it until then - things like changing down a gear for hills so the engine doesn't labour, no traffic light Grand Prix starts (no matter how tempting it is to show the chav in the barried Ka, Corsa, Saxo or similar) a clean pair of heels, no high speed motorway runs (keep it down to 70 ish) - you get the idea!

They are a bit like a high-speed, road legal sofa! Experience with mine tells me most people think of the older Volvo estates (7/9xx and older) as slow, ungainly behemoths incapable of any sort of speed.
I love scaring the bejesus out of them and leaving their ears ringing with the 90 degree V6 howl!

Old Sep 15th, 2018, 20:42   #30
Chris50

Depressing update......took it out for an hour and seemed fine... gentle pootle.Popoed the bonnet and noticed the heater control valve squirting hot water out...I assumed I hadn't tightened jubilee enough but on closer inspection it's totally fractured where the spigot starts...had to remove spigot from pipe as totally separate
I tried araldite but as soon as it got hot it cracked and failed...not enough surface to get a good bond..I tried building it up in layers but no good.
So now need replacement valve😭.
On a positive note...my tape repair worked a treat........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris50 For This Useful Post: