Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlamp

Views : 695

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2020, 13:46   #1
BigMonty
ICE ICE BABY

Default Headlamp

Well the adventure continues.
Went to change my headlight bulb today and all the internals on the headlight have come loose.
You can waggle the reflected from the bulb, but the glass and caseing don't move.
So it looks like a replacement job. I have searched a bit and it seems the front bumper has to come off to take out the headlight. Is this a big job?
Tips and advice apriciated as always.
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 16:37   #2
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Not necessarily - take the headlamp apart and look inside to see what's gone wrong. The headlamp levelling has a plastic arm that has a ball and socket joint, this can easily pop out and then it all appears loose inside.

First take the headlamp out - having taken off the electrical connector, there are 3 x long bolts that are pretty easy to get out, and the headlamp lifts out.

Then around the edge of the glass there are a number of metal spring clips - ping these off gently with a screwdriver and the lens comes off, from where you will be able to see the internals and spot what's happening quite easily. You may even be able to do it without removing the lens! Much easier with the headlamp unit out of the car though, and you might as well as it's super easy (unlike many modern cars!).
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 16:40   #3
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

You don't have to remove the bumper.
Open bonnet, remove indicator by pushing the retaining clip down and slide indicator out (forwards).
Headlight is held in by 3x 10mm bolts.
Undo leccy connectors and remove bolts then pull headlight out.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acshortt5 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 23:27   #4
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Removing and opening the headlamp units is very straightforward and is as Luxobarge and acshortt5 describe.

Just be mindful that the reflective coating is very easily damaged and usually responds to most attempts to clean it by disintegrating. Best not to touch it if at all possible.

If all else fails, I've found the aftermarket replacement headlamps sold by PFS to be entirely satisfactory.

Martin

1998 V70 Tdi auto, 226,000 miles
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 09:46   #5
turboboy
Master Member

Default Replacement Headlamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post

If all else fails, I've found the aftermarket replacement headlamps sold by PFS to be entirely satisfactory.

Martin

I'd second that and their service was very good. The one I bought arrived broken (due to the inner part flapping around in transit) so, after sending them photographs, there was no quibble and they dispatched a replacement which was packed with extra bubble wrap inside to hold the reflector in place during transit.

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2020, 02:04   #6
patcal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post
Removing and opening the headlamp units is very straightforward and is as Luxobarge and acshortt5 describe.

Just be mindful that the reflective coating is very easily damaged and usually responds to most attempts to clean it by disintegrating. Best not to touch it if at all possible.

Martin

Newbe here. Who is PFS? Thanks.
patcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2020, 08:42   #7
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patcal View Post
Newbe here. Who is PFS? Thanks.
PFS = Parts for Saabs. It's the same company as PFV = Parts for Volvos, so search for "Parts for Volvos online" and PFV online should come up, in fact to save you searching, have a link:

https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/index.php

Old Aug 23rd, 2020, 12:33   #8
BigMonty
ICE ICE BABY

All done. Exactly what you guys said it was. Took me 20 minutes with no adult supervision and no bolts or clips left over. Don't know where I would be without this forum.
Thanks again guys.
Read brake caliper tomorrow.