Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starting issue

Views : 36527

Replies : 268

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2006, 18:46   #241
stuartvolvo
Trader

Default Starting prob

As stoatsngroats says, it will e a good idea to write a list. I am popping out just now although when i get back i will compile a list as to what i have done, to try and help fellow volvo owners out.

Regards
Stuart

Volvo V70 T5 Estate - Strut Brace, Pollen Filter, Polly Mounts, Tinted Windows, Upgraded Discs, 17in Wheels, Stainless exhaust, Overhaulled turbo & wast gate, ecu remap, k&n filter, white injectors = 380+ bhp.
stuartvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 21:56   #242
stuartvolvo
Trader

Default Starting Issues

Right, The following was changed / replaced / checked as i had my 96 850 T5 cranking over but not sparking: -

1. Fuel filter changed
2. Fuel rail changed
3. Injectors changed
4. Fuel regulator changed
5. RPM sensor changed
6. Camshaft sensor changed.
7. Coil changed
8. Distributor changed
9. HT Leads changed
10. Rotor arm changed
11. Starter motor checked.
12. Inlet manifold off cleaned and knock sensors checked.
13. All wiring from sensors to ecu checked.
14. MAF sensor changed
15. Throttle housing changed.
16. Antenna ring changed
17. Temperature sensor changed
18. Thermostat changed
19. Imobiliser out and checked.
20. Wiring from imobiliser to ecu checked.
21. RPM sensoor bracket cleaned
22. Engine / gerbox flange cleaned

I am sure there was one ot two other items that were changed, but i can think of them at the moment.
If i had the same problem arise again, with a car, i would start with the simplest and work my way through the list to the most difficult / expensive repairs.
Regards
Stuart

Volvo V70 T5 Estate - Strut Brace, Pollen Filter, Polly Mounts, Tinted Windows, Upgraded Discs, 17in Wheels, Stainless exhaust, Overhaulled turbo & wast gate, ecu remap, k&n filter, white injectors = 380+ bhp.
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 22:17   #243
cookie
Lord B on T5D5.org

Smile well done stuartvolvo

I have just read thread from begining to end, and now feel you deserve a pat on the back and a weeks holiday to recover from your ordeal. (or have you spent the next 10yrs holiday money trying to fix your car).

ben

V70 T5
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 06:34   #244
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bison View Post
My car doesn't have that really ---- gutted!!! But could be.........

If your relay does not have the part no 3545803, I expect your is the later type engine
im sure mine is later than yours bison...1996 N plate and mine does have the relay....?? confused??
we both run the motronic 4.3....
has yours been relocated or gone missing??
cheers
jod
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 00:12   #245
Bison

im sure mine is later than yours bison...1996 N plate and mine does have the relay....?? confused??
we both run the motronic 4.3....
has yours been relocated or gone missing??
cheers
jod

Hi Mate,

Sorry mine does have that relay and after checking all the wiring I have not found any splits or corrosion etc in it. Someone mentioned earlier about the problem happening when the car is hot, this is nothing to do with the temperature!!!

I have been speaking to a bit of an expert and he asked if I have changed the flywheel sensor, I said no I haven't and he was gobsmacked, said it was the first thing that should be changed also coilpack. I then went on to explain to him that the garage had tested the signals from the Flywheel sensor and they were ok. He then informed me that even though the signals were ok there may still be a fault, the signals can read as ok, but could still be to weak to create the spark! So will be changing the Flywheel Sensor and coilpack at the weekend to see if that makes a difference. If not he said there is only one more thing that it could be but I will see what happens with this first!

Bison
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 17:26   #246
stuartvolvo
Trader

Default Bison

Bison, Check that you have got a good voltage to your coil when your ignition is switched on. If you have a good voltage, your coil will not need replacing. The Coil will always have a permenant feed, and the ecu will sent a paulse, to it telling it when to send a spark down to the distributor. Coils dont usually fail on these volvos.

Regards
Stuart

Old Nov 16th, 2006, 18:03   #247
ITS850T5Estate

Default Compression Test

Hi,
Have you done a compression test? just thinking it could be oil drains past worn piston rings when its hot, but when engine is cold the oil forms a seal and maintains piston pressures, and they are re built by excessive cranking!
Have you tryed the simple HT test of taking the cover off the top of the plug lead area and then at night starting the car to check that there is no arking from any of the leads, don't touch anything but you can see the spark if a lead is damaged.
Just a thought.
ITS850T5Estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 18:18   #248
chow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HICu9...de=user&search= might be worth trying this, youve just about done everything else! fast forward the clip to 2min.30 secs in
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 13:30   #249
Mark_in_Conwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chow View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HICu9...de=user&search= might be worth trying this, youve just about done everything else! fast forward the clip to 2min.30 secs in
Yes, marvelous - do you have that in Swedish?
Mark_in_Conwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 23:13   #250
DLM48
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bison View Post

I have been speaking to a bit of an expert and he asked if I have changed the flywheel sensor, I said no I haven't and he was gobsmacked, said it was the first thing that should be changed also coilpack. I then went on to explain to him that the garage had tested the signals from the Flywheel sensor and they were ok. He then informed me that even though the signals were ok there may still be a fault, the signals can read as ok, but could still be to weak to create the spark! So will be changing the Flywheel Sensor and coilpack at the weekend to see if that makes a difference. If not he said there is only one more thing that it could be but I will see what happens with this first!

Bison

i do love these experts how come he did not tell you what the ONLY one more thing is mmmmmmm no matter i am in NO doubt we will find out what that is soon
V70 Classic 2.4 20V sold on VoS FB page in a few hours
Present - C70 2.4 SE GearTronic - V70R AWD Prins II LPG 2.5 GearTronic
DLM48 is offline   Reply With Quote