Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 D5 auxiliary belt failure

Views : 3941

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2024, 18:57   #41
GMcL
0's and 1's

Not sure what is random. Geely have owned Volvo cars for 14 years, this thread is about snapping aux belts. If they were failing at such a high rate then the owners have had sufficient time to determine if the failure rate is high enough to warrant further investigation and remedy the issue.

I don't see anything random there.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2024, 18:59   #42
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
Not sure what is random. Geely have owned Volvo cars for 14 years, this thread is about snapping aux belts. If they were failing at such a high rate then the owners have had sufficient time to determine if the failure rate is high enough to warrant further investigation and remedy the issue.

I don't see anything random there.
Yeah sorry I realised and edited my post but you replied really quickly...

I see the context - Chinese owner of Volvo brand. Well which of these would you normally associate with Chinese companies?...

1. High quality products developed for longevity and and robustly tested to ensure reliability

or

2. Cheap mass produced products often copied designs and brought rapidly to market to achieve high volume sales.

RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2024, 11:59   #43
Wardair

Default XC60 Aux Belt Failure - VCUK

Here are some things I have learnt from my experience of the Aux Belt taking out the Cambelt on my XC60:-
1) Volvo accepted that this can happen but do not accept any design deficiency even though most experienced Volvo mechanics will say that this started when Volvo reduced the design/size of the Aux belt from that used on earlier cars.
2) Volvo did a recall to change the the Aux belt tensioner and could have added Cam belt protection as it was known a broken Aux belt could interfere with the cambelt which damages the engine.
3) Volvo fully understand this is an interference engine where valves hit the pistons if the cam belt slips or is broken so you would expect something would have been changed other that just the Aux belt tensioner and drastically reducing the Aux belt replacement cycle.
4) I am also aware that Volvo introduced a smart alternator control from 2010 that adjusts the Alternator demand and when it is in 'Brake Energy Regeneration, Quick' mode the alternator load (1hp) is switched on and off repeatedly which adds extra Aux belt stress.

Extremely disappointed that Volvo didn't offer me any support on a fully dealer serviced car that had three belt failures and no one can tell me why this happened?
Pretty sure its a design failure yet Volvo offered no help and let me pay for the consequences, so no more Volvo's for me!
Wardair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wardair For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2024, 14:04   #44
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardair View Post
Here are some things I have learnt from my experience of the Aux Belt taking out the Cambelt on my XC60:-
1) Volvo accepted that this can happen but do not accept any design deficiency even though most experienced Volvo mechanics will say that this started when Volvo reduced the design/size of the Aux belt from that used on earlier cars.
2) Volvo did a recall to change the the Aux belt tensioner and could have added Cam belt protection as it was known a broken Aux belt could interfere with the cambelt which damages the engine.
3) Volvo fully understand this is an interference engine where valves hit the pistons if the cam belt slips or is broken so you would expect something would have been changed other that just the Aux belt tensioner and drastically reducing the Aux belt replacement cycle.
4) I am also aware that Volvo introduced a smart alternator control from 2010 that adjusts the Alternator demand and when it is in 'Brake Energy Regeneration, Quick' mode the alternator load (1hp) is switched on and off repeatedly which adds extra Aux belt stress.

Extremely disappointed that Volvo didn't offer me any support on a fully dealer serviced car that had three belt failures and no one can tell me why this happened?
Pretty sure its a design failure yet Volvo offered no help and let me pay for the consequences, so no more Volvo's for me!
I believe its definitely a design flaw too that they fail to admit. Sadly, as a result of this, many cars have ended up scrap.

What car will you get next?
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 12:59   #45
Wardair

Default XC60 Aux Belt Failure - VCUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I believe its definitely a design flaw too that they fail to admit. Sadly, as a result of this, many cars have ended up scrap.

What car will you get next?
As well as 4 Volvo's (850T5, C70T5, XC90 and XC60) I have also had 3 Lexus (GS, RX and SC) and must say the Lexus have been excellent both in quality, reliability, maintenance costs and dealer relationship, so I am currently looking for a secondhand RX450h to replace the XC60 as I am sorry to say that I have lost confidence with Volvo and want to go on a long European drive this summer.
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 14:09   #46
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
As well as 4 Volvo's (850T5, C70T5, XC90 and XC60) I have also had 3 Lexus (GS, RX and SC) and must say the Lexus have been excellent both in quality, reliability, maintenance costs and dealer relationship, so I am currently looking for a secondhand RX450h to replace the XC60 as I am sorry to say that I have lost confidence with Volvo and want to go on a long European drive this summer.
I don't think that's a bad choice at all. Lexus/Toyota are extremely reliable and they win awards year and year that reflect that.
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 15:16   #47
Phil Croxley

Quote:
I agree, I've had a total of 6 Lexus car, all brilliant. We took a GS300 on a European road trip, two years later the same trip in an LS430, absolutely faultless. The only setback is the cost of parts if you go genuine Lexus.
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 11:13   #48
GPEMK

These belts will have a variable life span. What would be fascinating to understand is the bell curve of failure v mileage.
If: “The manufacturing maximum Replacement mileage is 54,000 miles. There is no lower limit mileage advised.”
Then what is the percentage failure before that mileage that Volvo believe to be acceptable?
And at what lower figure would failure mean that the part was: “Not for for purpose” when it was sold
GPEMK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GPEMK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 13:12   #49
pont

Reading Clans post carefully has always served me well. I find the multiple auxilliary belt failures reported by the op incredible.
I hasten to add that it is not a case of me not believing the OP , its just its miles away from my experience of owning a number of these engines.
The belts are replaced at 54000 miles because this represents 3 years at the 18000 mile service interval.
I have a small collection of the aux belts that volvo have replaced for me over the years, all on or before time at below 54000 miles and 3 years max. They are all like new even under very close inspection.
What part number are we talking about here OP????
All of my engines have been 5 cylinder 2.4 litre diesel non start stop . Remember the service schedule on these engines is 18000 miles per annum, so even if you have only done 20000 at third service, the auxilliary belt will be changed, unless you tell them not to.
Conversely the cambelt will not be changed at 6 years if your milage is low. (6x 18000miles = 108000). But at 10 years or 108000, which ever comes first.
On Clans advice from years ago I always change the cambelt a little early.
pont is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pont For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 12:24   #50
Wardair

Default XC60 Aux Belt Failure

Hi Pont,

Just for confirmation the vehicle has had annual main dealer services and we do not drive 18,000 miles/year in the XC60 as we have two other cars.
I also think three belt failures is incredible and each time no fault was found and so another belt and tensioner was fitted, the last time it was just a belt so after the failure I asked if the tensioner was examined properly and was told it was OK, but when I asked if I could have it I was told it was disposed of? (this was before the engine repair work commenced)
The last catastrophic failure was 9,827 miles after a new belt fitted and only 1,487 miles after a main dealer service.
What I find most disturbing and what is pushing me away from future Volvo ownership is that VCUK were not interested in my case and the Main dealer was extremely disappointed with the reaction and total lack of support.
The response to my formal complaint to VCUK (after an 8 week wait) was it was partially upheld and VCUK stated 'we do accept this can happen', yet Volvo still offered zero help to repair the car.
Whilst I have now paid for a repair and am considering a court claim to recover the cost many people just scrapped their vehicles. Looks to me like a good case for a class action against Volvo!
Part Numbers Belt 31325042 and Tensioner 31330879

Quote:
Originally Posted by pont View Post
Reading Clans post carefully has always served me well. I find the multiple auxilliary belt failures reported by the op incredible.
I hasten to add that it is not a case of me not believing the OP , its just its miles away from my experience of owning a number of these engines.
The belts are replaced at 54000 miles because this represents 3 years at the 18000 mile service interval.
I have a small collection of the aux belts that volvo have replaced for me over the years, all on or before time at below 54000 miles and 3 years max. They are all like new even under very close inspection.
What part number are we talking about here OP????
All of my engines have been 5 cylinder 2.4 litre diesel non start stop . Remember the service schedule on these engines is 18000 miles per annum, so even if you have only done 20000 at third service, the auxilliary belt will be changed, unless you tell them not to.
Conversely the cambelt will not be changed at 6 years if your milage is low. (6x 18000miles = 108000). But at 10 years or 108000, which ever comes first.
On Clans advice from years ago I always change the cambelt a little early.

Last edited by Wardair; Apr 17th, 2024 at 12:31.

Tags
auxiliary belt, failure xc60