Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heater hose this time..........

Views : 692

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:46   #1
johnbaker

Default Heater hose this time..........

Hello.

I was on my way to a wedding preaching the virtues of the T5 to some chums the other day, when in mid-boast, a lot of steam erupted from the rear of my car. Mildly embarrassed, I explained, "Don't worry, that's supposed to happen." I didn't fool anyone.

Upon examination, there is a pipe running from centre near side of the block coming out from under the large air intake hose going into the bulkhead. I assume it is the heater hose. I can feel a split in it from the engine for about 3 inches. My main query is, if I was to get a replacement pipe for this, how do I go about disconnecting the metal clip the pipe goes into at the bulkhead and what sort of connection does it have at the engine?

I know I'm posting a question asking how to change a pipe and I feel quite defeated, but it's very fiddly down there and my car is currently parked up in Chatham near youths wearing baseball caps and I don't want it there for long!

Cheers

Baker
Old May 3rd, 2005, 17:31   #2
warthog
VOC Member

Default RE: Heater hose this time..........

John,

you have a couple of options.

1. The genuine Volvo part comes complete with the swaged metal elbow and quick release fitting that you can see attached to the bulkhead. The other end is the standard reuseable hose clip. You will probably have to remove the air inlet hose to the turbo to get enough access clearance.

2. The alternative is to replace the rubber part with a section of suitable hose from your local accessory dealer.

To do either of these options you will need to disconnect the metal elbow from the bulkhead (obviously!) This is easy to do. You push the two plastic sections of the clip in towards the metal centre, thus releasing a couple of tangs from the inside surface of the metal outer female surround. The metal elbow then pulls out of the bulkhead fitting complete with the plastic quick release clip. Don't loose the sealing ring that is inside the female fitting.

To follow option 2. above you will need to carefully hacksaw through and remove the outer metal swaging to release the rubber hose from the metal pipe. You should then be able to jubilee clip the new section of hose onto the metal pipe and replace the whole back into the bulkhead fitting.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 20:43   #3
imac
Premier Member

Default RE: Heater hose this time..........

Basically what Brian says!

I fixed the exact same leaky heater matrix pipe this week.

Access is a bit of a pain in the backside.

Remove the Airbox, disconnect the MAF and lower sensors, take the air inlet off the turbo and remove it. Then remove the lower part of the air box, it comes out real easy.

Drain the coolant system and then undo the larger rubber pipe and tie it out of the way with some string along with the other wires. You will now have full access to remove the entire pipe.

Make sure it goes on 100% otherwise it'll leak like crazy. The Volvo mech who put my engine bay back together didn't do it right and lit leaked like a sieve.

Do up the jubilee clip in a way that makes access easy if it happens again (or needs to be changed again.