Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cooling fan recall work completed but is something missing?

Views : 871

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 12:05   #1
paddlejonny
dented pride&joy

Default Cooling fan recall work completed but is something missing?

I have a question to allof you who have had your cooling fans replaced by Volvo under its recall! I have just had this done on my 2000 V70 2.4SE (140), however it looks like the air intake pipe to the ECU box is now missing. I have had a good look and can see no loose piping for it, or anywhere for the pipework to connect.
Have the mechanics left off this pipework or does the new mod do away with this pipe? I would like to know before I phone the garage and get fobbed off!

Jon

2000 V70 (new shape) 2.4 SE (140)
paddlejonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 19:39   #2
GrahamB
GrahamB

Default RE: Cooling fan recall work completed but is something missing?

Jon
Can't really help you on this one. It sounds a bit dodgy to me. I presume the pipe you refer to is the large one at the bottom rear of the ECU box. If there is nowhere to plug the pipe then presumably they have changed the ECU box cover?
Did you get the recall from Volvo or a dealer? I have a 2000 2.4 Classic 170 old shape. When I rang my local main agent, who I have never used before, they said that my car was not subject to the recall. I would like to check! They also said when I first inquired that it was a 20 minute while-you-wait job.
Audi A4 Avant TDI - Traitor
GrahamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 20:32   #3
paddlejonny
dented pride&joy

Graham,
I had taken the car in to my local Volvo dealership, (the car was bought a year ago from a non Volvo garage) to have the fault codes cleared after creating an airbag fault message when messing around with the dash fuses (another warning I should post!). They just did the job while it was in and told me about it when I collected it. Seems they run the VIN number through the Volvo database and can tell what recalls are outstanding for the car, if any. Very efficient!

The air intake to the ECU box is located at the front right of the box cover as you lookinto the engine bay. There is a a stubby pipe sticky out from it, that the rest of the pipework would have connected to (the missing bits!). When I looked at my Haynes manual it shows a pipe between the ECU box and somewhere around the rear of the radiator (where the new fan was installed!).

The ECU air intake doesnt seem right just being left as it is. I feel it should have more pipework as before, but cannot see where the pipework would go?

Anyone?
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 16:35   #4
Traduk

I would give the garage who did the work a ring and ask them to look for and re-fit (about a 5 second job) that pipe.

My V70 is a '99 T5 but I flipped the bonnet and had a look and the pipe goes from the ECU box in a dog-leg around to a hole in the left hand side of the fan cowling. Viewed from the front the hole is above a couple of rubber flaps on the left-hand side quite a way from the fan itself. The hole is not immediately apparent as it is recessed a bit and under the cowl. Obviously a male end just pushes into that connection point.

I doubt if Volvo fitted the pipe for nothing and as it will supply a little cooling air whilst in motion and quite a lot when the fan is blowing I guess that like all electronic kit they do not want it to cook.

If we get another summer like that record breaker of a couple of years ago i think your ECU could be in trouble without a breath of fresh air. I do not see any possible logic for a new fan having done away with the need for piped cooling to the ECU box.

Traduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 19:05   #5
paddlejonny
dented pride&joy

Liam,
I think you've got a point about the cooling of the ECU. I certainly dont want to cook the electronics.

I'll let everyone know how I got on with the volvo garage!
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:53   #6
paddlejonny
dented pride&joy

F.Y.I. Called the garage and also Volvo customer services and they confirm that indeed the pipework between the ECU box and the radiator shroud are no longer deemed necessary and are not replaced when the fan refit is carried out!

Jon

2000 V70 2.4SE (140) 69,000mls