Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S70 Front Brakes

Views : 618

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 1st, 2005, 23:08   #1
Ian HT
VOC Member

Default S70 Front Brakes

I've been quiet for a while and now I've got two problems! The wiper intermittent relay mentioned elsewhere and my front brakes...

I tried to fit new front discs to my S70 2.5 10v today - done this numerous times on my 940 and other cars so no fears and usually a few ideas on how to deal with problems. However, the first disc I tried would not come off - rustbound solid to the hub, not a sign of movement. I tried hammers, levers, WD40, careful heat, etc. for some time (but being careful not to cause irreversible damage in case it really would not move). In the end I gave up and reassembled it having ensured no damage caused.

I'll probably book the car in for a service and ask the garage to do the discs but if anyone can suggest a tried and tested way of removing stuck discs I would love to know and I'll weigh up whether to have another go.

Ian.
Ian HT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:59   #2
bigandquick
Premier Member

Default RE: S70 Front Brakes

Sounds familiar.
Had the same problem with one of mine. I didn't want to pay anyone else so I persevered with the brute force. I ruined a perfectly good rubber mallet in the process. In the end I think I used the largest hammer I could find and a block of wood to protect the disc. The disc eventually flew off the hub and landed on my shin. Painful, but I saved some money.
Get as much WD40 behind the disc as possible, not easy when there are just 5 bolt holes to aim at, let it soak as long as possible then try again. Just make sure the car is well supported whilst you're pulling on it.
Clean the hub up before putting the new disc on; remembering my shin, I put a thin film of copper grease on mine. Made a mess of my trousers though.

'16 XC60 SE Lux Nav
bigandquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 17:59   #3
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

This reminds me of the first time I took a steering wheel off.
I thumped the back of the thing and it flew of in my face, this was long before air bags. Now I always leave a nut/bolt on loose to avoid this sort of thing.

To get the disc off a large puller may be the best option if you're to aviod bearing / shin damage.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 19:23   #4
Ian HT
VOC Member

Many thanks Tim and Chris - I've already done some damage, but not shins yet! Just a finger badly cut when my socket ratchet slipped. Must remember to use much softer paint tins to rest the caliper on next time...
I'll see how I get on but next weekend should be taken up with a new head gasket for a friend's Austin A30 and the one after is camping.
Ian
Ian HT is offline   Reply With Quote