Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

creaking/groaning clutch/brake?

Views : 1809

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 20:57   #1
kins

I have a '94 850 GLT 2.5 manual. I have noticed a strange noise which occurs intermittantly.
When moving off, on reaching the biting point I hear a creaking/groaning noise, which then stops as I lift the clutch. This only happens in first gear, though
I have heard this as well several times when reversing, particularly on a hill.

I suspect it's the clutch, but have had no other signs of clutch wear, and the sound is definitely not there all the time, but seems to start only after several miles when the car is well warmed up.

Is there any way I can test the clutch, or could it be the brakes, as the last thing that happens before moving off is braking to stop.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Nov 12th, 2002, 00:35   #2
sheerwater
Master Member

Default RE: creaking/groaning clutch/brake?

Hi,
Have you thought of engine mounts especially the stabiliser bar. May account for noise as engine warms it up. Could it also be the flexi hose on the exhaust . Just ideas .Cheers Nige
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2002, 11:01   #3
KevinG

Sounds suspiciously like the common dry release-bearing in the clutch. My T5 does this badly, and I've even detected it in other gears though its worse when pulling away from standstill. The noise I get is slightly different to a groan or creak, more of a shriek, and you can detect it in the pedal.

My advice would be to try and put up with it until such time as a complete new clutch is required, owing to the costs.
Old Nov 19th, 2002, 09:23   #4
Shandy

Hi Kins,

I have an 850se estate and exactly the same problem. Mine sounds like I've got a Wookie stuck under the bonnet. I'm thinking mine's to do with clutch bearing as I can only get the sound in first (like you) when I pull away or I'm crawling in traffic and only at certain revs and degrees of clutch engagement.

It's annoying, but looking at the complexity and cost of a clutch change, I would leave it until you really need to do something about it like KevinG said.

Andy
Old Nov 20th, 2002, 03:08   #5
cootuk
Premier Member

My 1996 2.5l 10v also has this in 1st gear.....seems not to happen if I rev the engine and pull away quick (or maybe then I don't hear it), but it definitely is annoying when pulling away slowly.
At least I'm in good company....
cootuk is offline   Reply With Quote