Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Security of 850's

Views : 1760

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 22:16   #11
Networkguy

Default RE: Security of 850's

>Would that be a TDi on a T5, if so how much work was it?

No that would be a TDi on a TDi so no work at all (and as all the Nova boys have found out, it may be an oil burner but it is still rather quick :-) )
Networkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2002, 13:51   #12
Max

I don't believe the earlier 850 models had any form of immobilisation which would explain how easily it was stolen by simply breaking the steering lock and forcing the ignition switch. It is becoming far less frequent these days to see cars stolen in this way due to the time, effort and noise involved. As I've been telling customers of mine for the last decade or so, the easiest way to steal any vehicle is by appropriating the keys which will also have the necessary alarm remote and crook-lock keys all in one handy bundle. A quick smash and grab of an out of sight kitchen window is all it takes, but even quicker is simply to ask you for the keys in a menacing manner as you get out of your car. Tracking devices do help, but the weak link here even though the tracking firm may locate the car within minutes is the response from the police once informed by the tracking firm's control centre. Something I've been promoting for many years now are anti-hijacking devices, such as Clifford's BlackJax system. (Obviously I'm biased as I've been the Leeds Clifford dealer for nearly nine years). This system has been around in one form or another now for the last ten years or so and therefore is the most proven system of its type, available as part of the spec of an alarm system, or as a stand-alone system which can be fitted to absolutely any vehicle with a 12V electrical system. I won't go into the specifics of exactly how it works here, except to say it is simplicity itself, giving protection against stolen keys, or being ordered out of the car with the keys in and the engine running. The vehicle will then only go about a minute away before ending up immobilised in the middle of the road causing an obstruction to other traffic, the thieves having no choice but to simply abandon it after being caught unawares. Hence, no need to argue when faced with violence, just hand them the keys and let them take it. The car won't be far away, and in a minute or so it won't have been involved in any high speed persuits or had it's mechanicals 'thrashed'. The cost for this? £199 fully installed (possibly cheaper from less scrupulous and competent installers) with no subscription, no phone numbers to call and no hidden procedures to perform if being ordered out of your car. Needless to say in Leeds, BlackJax equipped systems are pretty much all I've been selling in recent years, everyone at least knowing or having heard of someone having their car stolen with the keys.

If anyone wants any more information, by all means email me or give me a ring during office hours on 0113 2441448 and I can explain in detail exactly how the systems work and so forth.

Max

The Leeds Clifford dealer and
North of England rep for the V.S.I.B

C70 T5 GT
480 ES
340 GL (now long gone)
Old Nov 21st, 2002, 16:33   #13
Mav_UK

Okay, that sounds cool. How do you trip it though with no procedure? Or is it a remote? Either way I see my next car, and my Spitty (When restored) being treated to this toy (esp the convertable spit, not secure in big cities with lots of lights......)

Stu
Old Nov 21st, 2002, 17:08   #14
cootuk
Premier Member

Default RE: Security of 850's

http://www.clifford.com/guides/ogs/blackjax4_owners.pdf

It seems like the door switch/courtesy circuit must trigger the unit to ask for the disarm code, so it would work whether or not the engine is running.

cootuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 14:21   #15
Max

How it works is this:

Every time you get in the car, start up and drive away, just because the BlackJax system has seen the correct ignition keys it doesn't necessarily mean it is the correct body behind the wheel. There is a small and very neat 2-button assembly (approximately 15mm x 20mm) which requires your PIN number at this point, and it is so easy to use it doesn't even require you to take your eyes from the road. Once it sees this PIN, it knows it's an authorised driver and BlackJax remains inactive. However, 20 seconds after driving away, if the PIN hasn't been entered BlackJax will beep five times, begin flashing the dash mounted LED (and for good measure the brake lights to warn road users behind) at which point you have a further 20 seconds to enter the PIN. This then stops the beeping/flashing and BlackJax knows you'd just forgotten to enter the PIN earlier, and it again remains inactive. If however, in another 20 seconds from reminding you for the code it still hasn't seen it, it then has to assume it's not you behind the wheel and begins sounding the siren/horn and cuts the engine as soon as it sees rpm's drop below 4000-ish. This then leaves the vehicle immobile in the road with it's brake lights flashing with traffic having to drive round it, and in this situation, the car thieves aren't really going to be hanging about. Also, if while the engine is running and BlackJax sees the door open and close, at some point soon it will have to verify it is still you behind the wheel by seeing the PIN again, otherwise the above procedure will happen in the same way.

It is incredibly simple to use, becoming second nature within a day or so of ownership and it is possible to put the system into 'valet mode', (an overridden state) if for instane the car is going to a garage for servicing and so forth.

So, if ever the keys are stolen in your absence, the car will only be a minute or so away, and if you are ever accosted at the roadside for the keys, or dragged from the car, just let them have it because they'll be caught out a minute or so away just the same, meaning you don't have to endanger yourself by putting up a struggle.

Max

(Where have the automatically inserted bits that normally go here gone?)