Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 cuts out on hard acceleration

Views : 1524

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 17:03   #1
Gmurr

Default 850 cuts out on hard acceleration

I have an 850 AWD estate, which drives fine in all cicumstances ..except under hard acceleration.

Things go well until about 4000rpm when the engine just dies, but restarts as the rpm falls again.
Any suggestions on cause are wellcome.
Old Aug 10th, 2002, 22:16   #2
Dave_G

Default RE: 850 cuts out on hard acceleration

I would check the ignition and fueling on your car. It could be a fuel surge problem (but unlikely with an injected engine) or more probably ignition. When were the dizzy cap, rotor arm and leads last changed?
Old Aug 11th, 2002, 09:09   #3
Gmurr

Thanks Dave,
Dizzy cap and rotor have been changed, that was my first thought too. Not changed the leads but they are probably original 86,000 miles and 6yrs old though they look ok.
Old Aug 11th, 2002, 09:12   #4
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Try running gently up to 4K revs - it could be that the rev limiter is set wrong and check the handbook to see if AWD vehicles have a low rev limit to preserve their transmissions.

You're I'm sure aware that tyres are a very sensitive point on AWD cars - search the 850 and Performance forums for the many posts on this subject.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2002, 12:18   #5
Gmurr

Thanks Simon,
Checked handbook but no restriction on rpm mentioned.
Tyre size difference problems I'm aware of, but the roads around here are so bad the tyres don't get a chance to wear, damage much more likely cause for replacement . Tyres all within 2mm.
Running slowly up to 4000rpm and beyond can be done. Even when accelerating hard this can be achieved on occaision, after the "cutting out" has been experienced several times the extent of the fault seems to lessen.

Gmurr.
Old Aug 12th, 2002, 19:58   #6
Viper7070

The fact that the car actually dies like you mentioned means thatyou don't have a fuel problem. If it was a fuel/air restriction you would lose power and the cut-off wouldn't be instant. My guess would be electrical. Possibly a AFM, TPS, etc.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 21:16   #7
Gmurr

Thanks JG,
Will investigate, presumably onboard diagnostics should come up with something if it's electrical.
Cut off, when it happens, is instant. Full power ..nothing..power..nothing on..off.... and so on as the rpm rises then falls. Alarming when overtaking!

Gmurr.
Old Nov 25th, 2002, 21:01   #8
NUTS RuS

My T5 Estate does the same when its 'over-boosting'.

Back off the throttle and feed the revs up gently and it does not do it. Has anybody been playing with the waistegate ??

Just a thought.
Old Nov 25th, 2002, 21:31   #9
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I agree it seems that ECU has detected overboost. DTC should be logged, look for air leaks,bleed valve or wrongly adjusted wastegate actuator.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote