Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

first timer needs help

Views : 794

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2008, 16:23   #1
mike emslie

Question first timer needs help

help please my 99 s40 t4 is ill my electrition needs a wiring diagram. my local volvo dealer isn't to forth coming so i need to find some other way of picking up one please help. or if some one knows what could be wrong, my traction controls not working and the idl control valve aint either. i have already tried a new idl control valve which didnt sort it so im guesing that there is a wiring problem. could someone please help before i have to lots of hard earned chash to murry volvo in edinburgh.
mike emslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 16:25   #2
Enigma666
Master Member

Have you checked for a split pipe at all?
I'm pretty sure poor idling could be caused by a split pipe?
Any more symptoms? Does it just idle rough or cut out completely?
Enigma666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 16:31   #3
Liberty555

Mike, PM me and I'll send you the full wiring diagram.

Is the idle valve actually working? ie if you take the valve off and turn on the ignition, the valve should open slightly - don't start the car though!

You could have a leak in air as Enigma666 suggests.

As for the trac control - you can look at the wiring diagram - I don't have DSA so can't comment further!

Cheers
Liberty555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 16:36   #4
Enigma666
Master Member

Out of interest, what makes you say that the traction control is not working?
Have yo got a solid DSA light on the dash?
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 22:44   #5
mike emslie

Evening all and many thanks for all the responses and help.

The engine cuts out completely now, it did just run rough for a while but does now cut. I've checked the pipes and cant see any splits. I bought a brand new idle control valve and changed it over, no change but when I disconnect the valve all together she purrs like a kitten, any suggestions?

Sincerely appreciate all the help

With the traction control, the DSA is on permanently and when I put on the power she spins up.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 05:48   #6
Baffler
Premier Member

Welcome to the forum...

Main Stealers aren't very forth coming...that's why we're here

I believe the wiring loom under the radiator gives trouble due to trapped water and corrosion which takes place so the car has a tendancy to do all sorts of strange things. Have your auto electrician check it out for any traces of swelling, furing etc.

Just another angle to come at it from T4's can break your heart and pocket especialy if you have a so called "Monday Morning Car"...

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:28   #7
Enigma666
Master Member

My loom was knackered which was causing my ABS light to stay on.
After having the ABS module re-built etc my mechanic eventually found 2 small shorts which were causing the issue.
The loom is certainly a good place to start
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 17:58   #8
mike emslie

Default sick t4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Welcome to the forum...

Main Stealers aren't very forth coming...that's why we're here

I believe the wiring loom under the radiator gives trouble due to trapped water and corrosion which takes place so the car has a tendancy to do all sorts of strange things. Have your auto electrician check it out for any traces of swelling, furing etc.

Just another angle to come at it from T4's can break your heart and pocket especialy if you have a so called "Monday Morning Car"...
Thanks for that tip someone else said the same thing not so long ago to me. How do you get the the loom under the rad, is it visable or do you need to take the rad out.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 15:40   #9
Enigma666
Master Member

Rad needs to come out to get full access, it's a right pain as I found out when I tried it.... The damn thing runs through the wheel well too on the front left side...perhaps worth dropping the wheel off and removing the wheel arch guard yourself and checking for any splits there perhaps?
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 12:13   #10
mike emslie

Default sick t4

Thats what i thought, i had a gut felling that the rad has to come out thanks for the info i will let you all know how i get on many thanks.