Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 blower/heater.

Views : 1471

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2019, 09:38   #1
timetrip
Not a junior anymore

Default 240 blower/heater.

Hi Guys, After about two years of an intermittent noisy fan on my 240 glt H reg B230F,,It finally died. I know its a dash out to fit new heater fan,,,but are there any other alternatives like Car heater fan { ebay £8 } or plugging in a 230volts home heater to get going on{as i am fortunate to park close to cottage}. Or possibly how much it would cost to replace ?? and who can do it. Regardless of where i have to drive it to. thanks in advance.Adrian,{timetrip}.
timetrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 10:45   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetrip View Post
Hi Guys, After about two years of an intermittent noisy fan on my 240 glt H reg B230F,,It finally died. I know its a dash out to fit new heater fan,,,but are there any other alternatives like Car heater fan { ebay £8 } or plugging in a 230volts home heater to get going on{as i am fortunate to park close to cottage}. Or possibly how much it would cost to replace ?? and who can do it. Regardless of where i have to drive it to. thanks in advance.Adrian,{timetrip}.
You just have to resign yourself to have a go if you are mechanically minded , spring time is good , take your time , get the heater out and fix it , great feeling of job satisfaction afterwards .
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 18:59   #3
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Agreed..you can not have a 240 over the winter without a heater..i"ve done this job twice in the bleakest of winters and trust me I would not have done this if it was not needed..The job itself is doable for the likes of us...how ever if you have funds..get somebody else to do it..personally..nobody touches my old bus..They fix one thing and break another..in car heaters..well what can i say...its a shame you are so far away..i would love to help you...Clan is right..there is no easy way around this..Regards ,Del.
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 19:36   #4
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Ah the heater fan... honestly it’s not that bad. It takes time and you’ll need to take lots of photos as well as label things during disassembly, especially if you haven’t done it before, but you don’t need any special tools or any magical skill- just time, patience and coffee.

New heater fans are about £70. I imagine a garage would charge a huge amount to fit it though, given that it’ll take a few hours and garage time isn’t cheap.

You don’t need to remove the dash, just the centre console etc below the dash. As others may point out though, removing the dash if you’ve got to that point doesn’t take much longer and allows you to check and lube the wiper mechanism and check for rust etc so you may as well.

Are you likely to do the work yourself, or only interested in finding someone else to do it?

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2019, 09:59   #5
timetrip
Not a junior anymore

Default heater blower...

Hello again,,Well i am fortunate to live on a farm opposite a work shop with three ramps in it with plenty of space etc and, the mechanic said he would help me do it ...only been here since April and he is very good...are there any other bits i need to renew or look at while its all out..??.. It is my GLT B220F in grey which i might add ,, i had converted to lpg just over 10 years ago.Cosmetically it is reasonable with 129,000 to date..With stainless exhaust,{ bit noisey } and i did the shims which makes it a bit noisier.. any other help would be great to hear about ,,and thanks for the replies so,,,cheers Adrian,, Worcestershire area..!!
Old Nov 28th, 2019, 10:01   #6
timetrip
Not a junior anymore

Default B200f

B200f,,,,,lol
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 18:13   #7
Jonny Cut Corners

Its not too much of a difficult job. Just one of those fiddly one where most of the time is taken up with getting to the part in question.
Jonny Cut Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 20:22   #8
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I haven't done the job. Does the workshop owner have a space heater you can use? I gather this job takes time. If a space heater use propane then even a small space heater uses nearly a kg of propane per hour so you'd want to buy him a refill for his propane bottle... money well spent for you I reckon?

As it happens I'm just now buying a small, about 11 Kw, space heater for myself.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 10:15   #9
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Mention of buying a heater for the workshop suddenly got me thinking. Why not just plumb in an old heater matrix in the passenger footwell and tap into the water hoses? The actual core is very small, all the apparent bulk is ducting, flaps, etc.
The circular one in my landrover mounted under the dashboard throws out quite a lot of heat.

I'm not really suggesting as a permanant solution, just an easy stop-gap to keep warm until next summer.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 10:51   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
Mention of buying a heater for the workshop suddenly got me thinking. Why not just plumb in an old heater matrix in the passenger footwell and tap into the water hoses? The actual core is very small, all the apparent bulk is ducting, flaps, etc.
The circular one in my landrover mounted under the dashboard throws out quite a lot of heat.

I'm not really suggesting as a permanant solution, just an easy stop-gap to keep warm until next summer.
it's not going to demist the screen or have any air flowing through it to move the warm air around ..