Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Another Windscreen Wiper problem.

Views : 1485

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 22:30   #11
bob12
bob12

I have never heard of or used Milliput but, having looked at it seems to be a 2 part mix that goes hard on setting.

Sugru is not a two part adhesive but a malleable silicone in an air tight packet that starts to set into a gel when exposed to air. It's ends up once cured as sort of rubbery and has a very good grip properties.

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 23:13   #12
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default Milliput

Milliput is a two-part compound much favoured by the railway, aircraft and military modelling fraternities for gap-filling.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 23:26   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
I have never heard of or used Milliput but, having looked at it seems to be a 2 part mix that goes hard on setting.

Sugru is not a two part adhesive but a malleable silicone in an air tight packet that starts to set into a gel when exposed to air. It's ends up once cured as sort of rubbery and has a very good grip properties.

Bob
Pretty much it for Milliput Bob, it's also petrol resistant and yes, i know someone who has successfully used it on a petrol tank. A previous attempt using a proprietary petrol tank repair putty had failed for them so were willing to try anything. Milliput came to their rescue and so far, the repair has held up longer (and looks better) than the putty.

Sugru sounds as if it would be excellent for things like the dashboard crash-pad, chewed gear leverl knob, steering wheel etc. Possibly even a tyre if push came to shove but wouldn't want to drive far on it!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 23:58   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Milliput is a two-part compound much favoured by the railway, aircraft and military modelling fraternities for gap-filling.
It's used by lots of other people too!

https://www.milliput.com/

I first encountered it at work about 35 years ago. I think its uses are only limited by the imagination.

Bobs "Sugru" sounds interesting as well, might have to get some of that for a later project i have in mind.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 00:00   #15
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

............. Possibly even a tyre if push came to shove but wouldn't want to drive far on it!
Now you are pushing the bounds of sensibility Dave
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 00:06   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Now you are pushing the bounds of sensibility Dave
I was suggesting it might do as an emergency tyre repair if you were REALLY stuck Bob, agreed it wouldn't be sensible long term, just enough to get you off the hard shoulder and to a tyre fitters if your spare was flat.

On a more sensible level, it could be used to repair (or create new) resilient mounts for things like the air filter box from the sound of things. Probably best to leave "critical" applications of it alone!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 00:07   #17
bob12
bob12

I remember some years ago when I was 15/16 and working with an ex RN navy engineering guy there was one of the first 2 part metallic 'chemical' (as they called it in those days) filler that we used on an outboard motor 'blown' plug thread. It might have killed us in mixing it but it did work ,,, for a short time!! Bob
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 00:15   #18
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I was suggesting it might do as an emergency tyre repair if you were REALLY stuck Bob, agreed it wouldn't be sensible long term, just enough to get you off the hard shoulder and to a tyre fitters if your spare was flat.

On a more sensible level, it could be used to repair (or create new) resilient mounts for things like the air filter box from the sound of things. Probably best to leave "critical" applications of it alone!
.... Trouble is I don't keep Sugru in my motor Dave.

In fact I keep very little emergency stuff.

I try to keep the car sufficiently roadworthy to drive anywhere without worrying about technical cliches on the way. I do however have full breakdown insurance!!

Bob
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 00:17   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I remember some years ago when I was 15/16 and working with an ex RN navy engineering guy there was one of the first 2 part metallic 'chemical' (as they called it in those days) filler that we used on an outboard motor 'blown' plug thread. It might have killed us in mixing it but it did work ,,, for a short time!! Bob
Those early "Chemical Metal" compopunds were ok for static applications with no variiation in heat, presssure, vibration etc but not much more. They've improved since and i have used them to repair the terminal cover on a 3-phase motor when someone dropped a big lump of steel on the original cast cover and broke it causing a shower of sparks and a bang big enough to cause the slippery-handed person to need to change their underware.

Happened to have some in my toolbox when i was sent to the "fault". I was told to get the details of the motor so we could order a new cover and do what i could to make it safe - it wasn't expected to run until a replacement was fitted.

Took a little while to sculpt the repair piece and for it to set but i left it running.

Reported back to the workshop after and my boss (the younger one who never believed anything ) insisted on seeing it so he disappeared and was gone longer than i'd been.

Anyway, after that he also insisted that the product became part of our toolkit.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 13:57   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Do any of our members 7/900 series cars have their cables etc. secured by those cable ties with a rectangular section which locates into a hole in the body panel, as in the ties which secure the harness to the bulkhead just below the front of the scuttle panel? One or two of mine have broken due to age and I would like to replace them with like for like but I’m having difficulty sourcing any.
As promised Ian, i think these are the ones you want/need :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CABLE-TIE...M/190849547596

It's fairly unusual to have a rectangular section and if you look at the bulkhead hole, i think you'll probably find it's round. Those fit a 6.0-6.5mm hole, if that's not the correct size, use the description "fir tree cable ties" and search ebay - check the seller location, i found a lot were in China and while they were cheaper, the difference wasn't worth the wait IMHO so picked a UK supplier.

The other option is normal cable ties with a separate fir tree base.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cable-Tie...e/352409410629
Fir tree base ^^^^^

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hellerman...m/264478707285
Fir tree base and cable ties kit ^^^^^ (suitable for 9.7-10.0mm hole)

Hopefully something there to do what you want!