Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Faded Bumpers

Views : 2802

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 22:53   #1
volvo850t5

I have an 850 estate which I bought a few months back. Great driving but the bumpers have faded.
They were either black or grey originally, the car is white. I would like some suggestions on the best way to get them looking good again. I have tried some 'Back to Black on a small area but after about a week it didn't look as if I had done anything.
Short of buying new ones - which won't happen! - I am stuck a sto what to do.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.:D
Old Apr 30th, 2002, 23:10   #2
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default RE: Faded Bumpers

I've tried various potions on the old and new-style grey plastic trim on 850s and the stuff that works best for me is the Back to Black spray.

Try not to overspray too much on the paintwork and rub it off after it dries on or while it's damp if you've got circular marks.

Badly faded plastic will need several goes to get it back to new, but it will get there.

Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2002, 12:19   #3
alun8

I use tyre wall paint. Small tin of black paint for tyres that costs a pound or two from a small auto shop. Not sure about Halfords. Using a fine brush to get to the edges without touching the paint it works wonders and lasts for ages. With your car being white I guess you may not do this in case some goes on the paintwork but if you do practice using the brush first on other things (like the tyres!) just getting in close. And use a good brush, not one with hairs coming away. Most importantly - take your time with any product you use. It will look much better in the end. The tyre wall paint is like gloss, a nightmare to get off so just be careful. Oh, and keep a rag with white spirits on nearby. It's better to be overprepared!
Al

850, 2.0, 20v
Old May 1st, 2002, 17:25   #4
Simon McL

I tried just about everthing on the grey inserts on my bumpers, in the end I bought new front ones for about £20 plus VAT each from a local dealer. What a difference !!!!! the old ones where almost white, the car looks years younger. Now i'll have to save up 70 quid for the back ones !

Si

850 GLT '92
Old May 2nd, 2002, 07:42   #5
Mav_UK

Don't forget to keep treating them to keep them looking new.....
Old May 5th, 2002, 13:17   #6
jaytee
Jim

I was at my local coachworks yesterday to enquire about paint treatment and the helpful chap there mentioned the dulled bumpers (850Tdi Estate) and showed me what they use for them, he called it RENOVATING GEL I didnt manage to get the manufacturers name but if anyone posts further interest I can find it out.

The only snag is that it was a 5 litre can, maybe there are smaller quantities available. The results were impressive, a quick wipe over and the colour changed from whitish grey to an original looking dark grey. It also protects the plastic and sheds water.Also for use on the door handles etc.

Jim
jaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2002, 22:49   #7
Mike Smith
Master Member

hmmm! interesting, perhaps a few of us can club together and share some, I'm up for it

Regards
Mike Smith
----------
96 850 GLT

For Every Problem - There is a Solution, Hopefully!
Gallery
Mike Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2002, 08:59   #8
markas
VOC Member

Hi all,

I am a great fan autoglym and use the bumper restorer, i can't remember the label exactly but it comes out like that kids green slim stuff.

Anyway i use this on my bumpers, side trim and other rubber bits and it works wounders. You apply it to the trims and let it dry and buff it up after. It leaves a shine and is water repelant. I normally apply two coats first after washing and then the second after the first buffing up. I then allow the second to dry overnight for a good finish. I have tried most of these products and i personally dislike the back-to-black type as they make a mess and seem to give a laquer finish.

Just in my opinion of course,

Hope this helps.

mark
markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2002, 21:30   #9
volvo850t5

Cheers Jim.
It would be most hepfull if you could find out the make of the gel and whether it is available to mere mortals like me.
It sounds exactly like the stuff I am looking for. I'm not really into using the back to black products, especially as my bumpers were grey.
I have cousins who run their own high quality body repair shop who are going to see about my noisy check strap, they might know of this product.
Old May 7th, 2002, 07:17   #10
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default Back to black is actually back to original

The back to black aerosol actually refreshes the colour rather than turns a grey bumper black.

I tried some of the "paints" recommended here and they did indeed blacken a grey bumper, but the aerosol sprays appear to put the solvents leached out by time back into the plastic, restoring its finish.

I would think that this gel does something similar, except it's more concentrated - and probably a lot cheaper per treatment!
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote