Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bypass aircon compressor inhibitor???

Views : 1497

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 7th, 2002, 04:12   #1
Friar Tuck

Default Bypass aircon compressor inhibitor???

Hi again Volvo gurus!

I need to somehow bypass the switch(es) that stop the aircon compressor clicking in. What happened was I put some leak sealer in the system (to try and fix a condenser seal leak) but there isn't enough pressure to start/open the compressor.

I've tried shorting out the switch near the bulkhead, that didn't work. There's 3 connections on the low port but I don't know which ones to short (if any), I tried a combination of 2 and the engine cut out :-(

Any help much appreciated as I'm a bit stuck!!

Thanks
Old Sep 7th, 2002, 20:31   #2
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Default RE: Bypass aircon compressor inhibitor???

Helps to say which model / year, but one way is to take a fused supply straight from batt + to the compressor clutch.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2002, 22:18   #3
Friar Tuck

Sorry, it's a V70 10v 1998

Thanks for the idea, but where's the + termonal on the compressor clutch? Would it be on one of the 3 terminals on the low port connector? If it is, any idea which one?

Thanks
Old Sep 8th, 2002, 19:40   #4
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I haven't got the wiring diag. for your car, and some info will depend on whether you have ECC or not.
On the 850 with ECC the pressostat switch has two wires coloured Grey & Blue/Grey this is the one in series with the clutch and the one you want. It's situated at the rear of the engine.
The three wire pressure sensor basically tells the engine ECU how hard the A/C is working to adjust idle speed etc.
That's all the info I have, so I hope it's of help.

Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2002, 20:56   #5
Friar Tuck

Thanks for that, I'm assuming it's the switch near the bulkhead, centrally located, at least I'm hoping it's that one! I'll go with the colour coding.

Thanks again, mind you I think summer's over by the look of it!

Cheers
Old Sep 15th, 2002, 22:59   #6
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Yes, Summer is over *sigh* but don't stop using your aircon at least once a week for ten minutes to run fluid through the system and prevent seals, hoses, compressors etc springing leaks.
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2002, 21:48   #7
Mike Arnold
Master Member

I am not familiar with the ecc on the V70 family but I would bet it is similar to the other Volvos.

If you need to run the compressor then taking the electric clutch connector on the compressor to +12v will pull it in (if it does not you have a clutch failure). Beware, if you have low gas you will not have a method of keeping the compressor supplied with oil so it will seize after a while.

Some a/c systems have high pressure switches (to prevent it exploding) and low pressure switches (to prevent the compressor running without fluid) as well as temperature sensors to prevent running in winter or running when over-temperature. Another variant is Rover who use a combined hi/low pressure switch.

In modern systems all the sensors go into a microcomputer and you cannot work out what is happening.

This may not help much but might give you one step forward.