Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel Consumption

Views : 1954

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 15:28   #11
Cypher007
Master Member

Default RE: Fuel Consumption

i get around 24-36, 24 on town trips using coasting stops now and then (i find this gives the best town mpg and saves on brake pads), 35.6 on a good motorway run from Gaydon motor museum to Endinburugh and back down to Boston in Lincolnshire. all acording to the trip comp, but before i fitted it it worked out similar on paper.
Ferrita Cat Back (Don)
Denso Iridium Spark Plugs (Hong Kong)
PowerFlex Top Engine Mount (?)
PowerFlex Wishbone Bushes (Elk Parts)
302mm front brake upgrade
Goodridge front hoses (rears to be fitted later)
600W Inverter (ebay)

History:
1991 Volvo 340DL (1982)
1994 Volvo 360GLE (1989)
1999 Volvo 360GLT (1988)
2002 Volvo 850GLT (1991)
2004 Volvo 850T5R (1994)
Cypher007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2002, 16:21   #12
Freddie

My 850 20v GLT returns an equivalent of 45mpg around town and 55ish on a long run and thats with 144k on the clock. I've done 16k since the LPG conversion and cannot fault it. It's nice to hear all these horrendous mpg figures when mine has the running costs of a Nissan Micra!
Old Nov 13th, 2002, 19:49   #13
w07 1171

Wow, whats this conversion all about then ??, how much etc, are these figures correct or is it April 1 ?.

Reg
Old Nov 13th, 2002, 21:20   #14
sdevans1

about 23.5 mpg on average for a '94 T5 Estate Auto. Not very good, I admit

Steve
Old Nov 14th, 2002, 07:28   #15
Mav_UK

So if thats' the equivalent, whats the actual?

Stu
Old Nov 14th, 2002, 14:43   #16
Freddie

Actual is 21.5 to 22mpg around town and as I buy the gas at usually 36p/litre (sometimes at 31p if visit a certain garage near Southport). Conversion cost £1350 inc VAT. I'll leave the rest of the Maths up to you. If anyone wants a chat about it email direct on chrisairey@tinyonline.co.uk. Incidentally I have heard it is possible to bunker your gas at home for 23p/litre but then there are purchase/rental costs for tanks to consider. Certainly worth it for high mileages. Don't know why so many are apprehensive about it and even the local Volvo dealer has only sold 3 or 4 bifuels in the last year.
Chris
Old Nov 14th, 2002, 18:34   #17
Bedrock Barney

I cannot improve on 26mpg no matter how the car is driven. Serves me right for buying a T5 I suppose!

Richard

97 850 T5 Auto
Old Nov 15th, 2002, 07:06   #18
Mav_UK

I suppose the biggest thing with it is availability. Whilst here in Holland almost all garages sell it, when I go back to Leicester it's very difficult to find.......

Plus, the loss of a bit of power, not breing allowed in certain places (chunnel, multi-storey car parks in Belguim (I beleive - George?) does make it a bit of a bind. If your a migh miler and don't have these considerations then it's great - if done properly (and thats the other consideration, I've never driven one that was a 'good' conversion, all the company cars that ran on LPG sucked somewhsat, always eratic, never any power)

Laters

Stu
Old Nov 15th, 2002, 22:00   #19
doormanpgd

I run a V70 'R' AWD, with this kind of performance if I get more than 21mpg I'am not doing justice to ownership of such a beautiful performance car, this is 'sex on treads'
Dave
Old Nov 19th, 2002, 08:09   #20
Shandy

Hi Guys,

Nice to hear such wide ranging figures. When I bought my 850se estate I was unfortunate enought to find that bit of paper in the owners handbook with the fuel consumption figures on it. I nearly had a heart attack when I filled it up for the first time. I thought the tank had got a hole in it!! But that really doesn't matter when you realise taht you're driving such a fantastic car.

I have worked out my consumption around town to be 21-27. The higher figures were during the summer. But even after a major service just before it started to get cold, I still can't get much better than 24mpg around town. Lets face it though, who wants to be sat in traffic in cars like ours?