Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Still not worked out this USB media player yet ...

Views : 9942

Replies : 59

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2016, 13:24   #21
TheDufster

I think it's a cumbersome way of trying to access music in any car and given the power and storage facilities on modern phones there are better ways to do it.

I nearly went as far as trying to install a custom hard drive solution years ago before mp3 players with large capacity came out.

XC40 1.5 T3 R-Design
TheDufster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 16:06   #22
mhs

Default Sharing your pain

Walter, I have been struggling with exactly the same issues as you for the past four months, always ending up with - oh well, in so many other ways I really love the car. Love your analogy of the partly painted room. For me the lack of any concern or follow-up on the part of the Volvo dealer is as disappointing as the deficits in the vehicle itself, especially since, as a prospective buyer, I was led to believe that their after- sales service was equal to their sales service.
mhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 16:48   #23
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDufster View Post
I think it's a cumbersome way of trying to access music in any car and given the power and storage facilities on modern phones there are better ways to do it.

I nearly went as far as trying to install a custom hard drive solution years ago before mp3 players with large capacity came out.
I have all my music on the XC70 on a 16gb stick and it lives in the car. This is easy and cheap and I don't need to worry about leaving anything expensive on show. Also, it works, flawlessly (most of the time) and reads from a simple artist, album, song folder and file structure.

If the USB stick is now a cumbersome way to hold and access music then what is the next best solution? I have an S6 edge with all my music on it. Can I access this through the car to play music and also have it as a handsfree phone? Would I be able to choose music from the car display/control or from the phone in a holder?

Also can you recommend a decent music player for android which just lets you look at folder names and file names? I tried folder player but do not find it intuitive.

I don't run itunes or Samsung Kies, I don't download music and I don't set up playlists. I just want to see folders (of artist), click in to the folder to then see sub folders (of album) and then click in to see files (of songs). I want to be able to then click on a song and the car will play that song and all the other songs in the sub folder until the end.

Any help to avoid hours of frustration in 2 weeks time when the car is delivered would be most appreciated.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2016, 08:05   #24
TheDufster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Can I access this through the car to play music and also have it as a handsfree phone? Would I be able to choose music from the car display/control or from the phone in a holder?
Using Bluetooth - that's the way to connect the phone to the car. Get a brodit car mount and phone holder (www.dsldevelopments.com) which is a great way to mount your phone in the car. There is a glitch though - the track title/artist is supposed to appear in the car's display which happens most of the time, however if I switch between podcasts and playing music from my phone in on session the car's software seems to get confused and just displays the words "Audio Streaming".

Quote:
Also can you recommend a decent music player for android which just lets you look at folder names and file names? I tried folder player but do not find it intuitive.
The built in Music Player is ok, I was on the verge of looking for other music players when I discovered Google Play Music (not the subscription service). However, to use it you must be prepared to use your data connection to access you music which is all saved on the "cloud". You upload all of your music to Google Play (for free) and then it's accessible from anywhere as long as you've got an internet connection (I appreciate this won't suit everyone)

Quote:
I don't run itunes or Samsung Kies, I don't download music and I don't set up playlists. I just want to see folders (of artist), click in to the folder to then see sub folders (of album) and then click in to see files (of songs). I want to be able to then click on a song and the car will play that song and all the other songs in the sub folder until the end.
I don't have iTunes - and I thought I was the only person on the planet that didn't. I use MediaMonkey to organise my music (circa 13,000 songs) which works very well.

XC40 1.5 T3 R-Design
TheDufster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheDufster For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2016, 10:00   #25
Walter Eagle

I'm sorry but I just can't buy in to this proposition of using a phone to play music. That means I now have to install phone holders and mounting kits etc and I have to interact with the phone while driving. That's too much of a backward step for me. When using the phone as a phone to talk to people I don't need to interact with the physical phone at all. It lies on the seat beside me, or in my jacket pocket in the back seat, and I use the car controls to make, answer, and end calls. If the lack of USB "playability" means looking for an alternative method, I'm definitely not encouraged by the prospect of having a phone cluttering up the dash.

As Philip Fisher said, a USB stick is cheap, expendable, out of sight and the ideal source for music. If only there were better a software Volvo package for managing it in the XC90.

As for an Android app to play the music, I experimented with a few while testing what was/wasn't possible with a Bluetooth-linked phone as the media source. One I quite liked was Rocket Player, available in free and 'pro' versions in the Google Play Store. I have a number of albums loaded on a 16GB microSD card in my phone and the free version worked well enough for me.

Regards

Walter
Walter Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walter Eagle For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2016, 10:13   #26
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDufster View Post
I don't have iTunes - and I thought I was the only person on the planet that didn't.
I don't use iTunes either. Not a great piece of software but if you have an iPhone you've no option but to use it.
Lexman8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 22:28   #27
Walter Eagle

Last attempt.
Took 5,000 tracks, previously neatly arranged in folders by artist and album, which all other reasonable MP3 players can work with, and copied them to the USB stick on one great big heap, all in the root. Folders, meh, who needs 'em?

So now at least I've reduced the likelihood of the file and path length problem tripping me up.

Still got all the other usability issues, but at least things have got no worse.
Walter Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2020, 22:04   #28
aptones

i can't believe that 3yrs later the USB media player is still sh1t!!!

I've spent a whole day trying to work out why it lists every album with a single song in it..... look like i'm now going to have to try some of the tricks mentioned previously...

XC90 is a lovely car.... but with a really sh1t entertainment system, navigation and pretty much the whole usability of the main media screen!
(don't get me started on Android auto taking up a 3rd of the screen!!)
aptones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2020, 23:21   #29
aptones

so it seems the character limits and path limits have gone with my XC90 Sensus system.....

After p1ssing around for the past 2 hours, I ended up just creating 1 folder deep and building playlists at each folder.
Seems to have worked.

Album list is still a fricking mess, but at least my playlists show the albums list (1 folder per album).

Was reading another forum and came across this playlist maker freeware: https://www.dcmembers.com/skwire/dow...playlistmaker/

Basically you drag a folder into the program and it makes a simple m3u playlist for that folder.
aptones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aptones For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 22:09   #30
clarkgable

I gave up on the USB media a year or so ago. I just Bluetooth music from my phone now, works relatively well, certainly much better than the Sensus USB set-up
Handing back Sept 2020: XC90 D5 R-Design (MY18), Electric Silver, Family, Winter+HUD, Subwoofer, Digital TV, 3pin Socket, Rear Park Assist Camera, Rear Media Server, Inscription silver front grille fitted instead of standard R-Design one
clarkgable is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clarkgable For This Useful Post: