Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Low battery warning

Views : 10105

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 20:47   #1
jayheartdoc

Default Low battery warning

Hi all,

Has anybody had the low battery warning come up on their car and had a successful fix? Mine appeared after the November software/CarPlay update. It's been back to the dealer once who applied a software update but the issue has returned. It's going back to be checked next week so I'm wondering if anybody on the forum has an idea as to what the likely cause is so I can ask the dealer to look at it.

I've not had a problem starting the car but stop/start doesn't function, presumably because the battery power is too low.
jayheartdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 21:34   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayheartdoc View Post
Hi all,

Has anybody had the low battery warning come up on their car and had a successful fix? Mine appeared after the November software/CarPlay update. It's been back to the dealer once who applied a software update but the issue has returned. It's going back to be checked next week so I'm wondering if anybody on the forum has an idea as to what the likely cause is so I can ask the dealer to look at it.

I've not had a problem starting the car but stop/start doesn't function, presumably because the battery power is too low.
Either you have been sitting going through the electronic screens etc a lot with the Ignition on and drained the battery a bit or the battery is faulty , your dealer should be able to sort it they have the right tools and instruments ...
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 21:54   #3
Whyman
Premier Member

I have had this regularly over the last year or so. Car has been back to the dealer twice and no fault found? It seems to be worse/more likely when I have done a few short trips in one day and started they car a few times. I do wait in the car for short periods for SWMBO with the radio on and the system turns the radio off quite quickly.

The car has never let me down but it is still a concern.

Maybe a new battery will cure the problem?
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 22:32   #4
jayheartdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Either you have been sitting going through the electronic screens etc a lot with the Ignition on and drained the battery a bit or the battery is faulty , your dealer should be able to sort it they have the right tools and instruments ...
Bought the car in Sept 2015 and covered 6000 so the car is driven daily. Never really sit in it with the engine off and Sensus on so must be faulty battery I guess. Some of the guys on Swedespeed are having similar issues.
Old Feb 4th, 2016, 15:23   #5
Deman77
Master Member

I wonder if they left your car with ignition on not connected to the battery charger when updating the software. It takes hours to update. They drained your battery and beyond certain level it can't recover from simple driving. Which dealer?
Deman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2016, 18:25   #6
jayheartdoc

The battery appeared to be fully charged when I picked the car up because stop/start started working seamlessly. Paul Rigby Volvo, Birmingham
Old Feb 4th, 2016, 20:29   #7
nvh28uk

Default Low Battery Warning

I picked up Ex-Demo in Nov, with 6000 miles on and had issue within 4 weeks. Software upgrade which took over an hour connected up at dealer seems to have resolved fingers crossed.

Did note that it seemed to coincide with steering wheel heat and seat heat on low, so when I got the warning kept them off. No issues with no start, but as mentioned previously worrying it is a warning and thinking wont start. As you say when warning on auto engine cut down doesn't kick in.

I thought as been in showroom with v flat battery may have damaged battery but as I say so far so good.

Also note that passenger seat heater sometimes turns off very quickly and unexpectedly.... just wondering if this may be something that is causing an unexpected battery drain.

Dealer told me it was about the software not reading the battery voltage correctly.

Hope you get it sorted.
nvh28uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2016, 10:14   #8
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvh28uk View Post
Also note that passenger seat heater sometimes turns off very quickly and unexpectedly.... just wondering if this may be something that is causing an unexpected battery drain.

Dealer told me it was about the software not reading the battery voltage correctly.
My Merc shuts off non-essential systems if the battery voltage drops below a certain threshold. Large current items such as heated screen, heated seats, etc, are the first to go. If it's really bad the audio and satnav eventually go too. However, I do get a warning message on the dash telling me it's shutting them down because of the voltage problem.

Could well be a software issue in the XC90 and the threshold just needs tweaking.
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2016, 08:09   #9
Walter Eagle

Hi jayheartdoc

My XC90 was delivered on a transporter, and when I came to start it up for the first time I got the "Low battery charge level" warning. I wasn't delighted that a January car (when you need a healthy battery) got supplied from the dealer with low juice. However, the warning disappeared as a soon as I'd travelled a short distance, and hasn't subsequently (2,000 miles later) re-appeared. I've written it off as 'just one of those things'.

If your symptom is constant or repetitive it would seem to point to a deeper problem. My own feeling is that a dodgy battery is not the most likely suspect. I'd have thought an electrical or electro-mechanical issue elsewhere may be worth investigating. Either the charging circuit (and mechanical parts that drive that) or indeed the battery monitoring circuit. If everything else works OK, could it be a false alarm?

Good luck, and let's hope you too can look back later and treat it as JOOTT.

Walter
Walter Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2016, 16:47   #10
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Eagle View Post
Hi jayheartdoc

My XC90 was delivered on a transporter, and when I came to start it up for the first time I got the "Low battery charge level" warning. I wasn't delighted that a January car (when you need a healthy battery) got supplied from the dealer with low juice. However, the warning disappeared as a soon as I'd travelled a short distance, and hasn't subsequently (2,000 miles later) re-appeared. I've written it off as 'just one of those things'.

If your symptom is constant or repetitive it would seem to point to a deeper problem. My own feeling is that a dodgy battery is not the most likely suspect. I'd have thought an electrical or electro-mechanical issue elsewhere may be worth investigating. Either the charging circuit (and mechanical parts that drive that) or indeed the battery monitoring circuit. If everything else works OK, could it be a false alarm?

Good luck, and let's hope you too can look back later and treat it as JOOTT.

Walter
I don't think this guy has a new XC90. I think he has posted in the wrong forum.