Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bowes sound - is it worth it?

Views : 1519

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 07:45   #1
mrlossyman

Default Bowes sound - is it worth it?

Just finalising my xc90 spec and I'm wondering if those that have the premium sound can share their experience? I've it on my xc60 but the xc90 is a very expensive addition.

Also can you tell me:

Is it worth adding apple play it £300 in the UK
Do the power head rests power up as well as down?
Is the headup display useful? Worth the extra?
What do you think is a must have option (I am buying the d5 rdesign)

Appreciate your help.
mrlossyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 13:45   #2
Carl Sberglager

I listened to the B&W system a few times and couldn't see the value in paying £3,000 for it, so opted for the £300 sub woofer instead and I think the sound is pretty good.

Apple Car Play is only as good as the apps that support it. My main use would be Spotify, but the Car Play app only allows control over music already selected on the iPhone, so doesn't make it any more hands free. Also disappointed that it doesn't support iPod, only iPhone, which would be useful to non Apple phone users (I have a Windows phone, Mrs S has an iPhone).

The must have options for our family were the Winter Pack (which would eliminate the HUD, if you want heated windscreen) and heated rear seats, a necessity for cold Yorkshire mornings. Also worth the little extra for the front seat extensions, if not standard on the model.

Last edited by Carl Sberglager; Feb 22nd, 2016 at 14:28.
Carl Sberglager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 14:25   #3
mrlossyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Sberglager View Post
I listened to the B&W system a few times and couldn't see the value in paying £3,000 for it, so opted for the £300 sub woofer instead and I think the sound is pretty good.

Apple Car Play is only as good as the apps that support it. My main use would be Spotify, but the Car Play app only allows control over music already selected on the iPhone, so doesn't make it any more hands free. Also disappointed that it doesn't support iPod, only iPhone, which would be useful to non Apple phone users (I have a Windows phone, Mrs S has an iPhone).

The must have options for our family were the Winter Pack (which would eliminate the HUD) and heated rear seats, a necessity for cold Yorkshire mornings. Also worth the little extra for the front seat extensions, if not standard on the model.
That's great thank you.

I've removed apple car play and the bowes.

I've added winter pack with hud
Rear heated seats
3 pin plug!
Xenium pack
Intellisafe pack
Family pack
Folder headrests
Sub
Burst met

:-)
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 15:19   #4
Deman77
Master Member

Headrests only collapse, but that comes free in family pack where just the booster, electric child locks and integrated shades are worth the money.
I specced car play but not used yet (only just getting sw update to get it) - for what it can do now I see no value in it (waze doesn't support it) but if you are big on music you may like what they did. It may improve with time. You can always add it later.
I can't live without HUD. I think it should be a standard safety feature (never get distracted from the road). Keep in mind it will delete heated windscreen (can't have both).
Fuel heater is an essential feature for me (it's a bit steep) as diesel takes ages to warm up. You can preheat the car and the engine from the app (means heated windscreen missing will be ok). I would still keep winter pack - warm steering wheel and seat are nice, but with fuel heater will mean you get warm air in the vents pretty much from the start even if you didn't preheat (need to enable heating booster in settings - default is a No)
4zone air con is important if you want any comfort in back row. - have a look on iPhone manual app you can see the diagrams of vents for 2zone and 4zone. Basically only went a in bpillars for back seats as standard. With 4zone you get two more in the middle and for 3rd row plus individual controls in the back of centre armrest. Again not cheap.
Pay for drive mode selection too if not r-design - it doesn't make a huge difference but you may need to use that off-road mode once and 200quid is good value for it.
Lighting pack is very classy for what it costs.
360 camera will allow you to fit in spaces with inches to spare. For such large car a must.
The little flashing things on door mirrors are great for blind spot monitoring - adaptive cruise control great. Lane keep great.
I find standard sound very good, but if you are a connoisseur people say bowers is as good as you can get in any car right now.
If you go for momentum go for dark colours - black grille looks cheap on lighter colours. Inscription looks much nicer in light colours with all the chrome trim not so in your face but not terrible in dark if you must.
If getting Amber seats and not Rdesign then spec black headliner otherwise you will have 5 colours interior (black dashboard, plastics and carpets, Amber seats, whatever colour inserts, chrome bits of trim and cream headliner). It's very subtle but if you are OCD it will bother you - the texture of headliner is nice and expensive and doesn't jump out at you but now I told you it would bother you no end. With black seats it's not so bad as it's only 4th colour.
Air suspension is a toss - arguably no better with some people complaining paining about rattle after 2-3k. I like it on mine for how flat it corners and breaks but in comfort setting it does not go anywhere near what I expected (it could be something to do with the fault that people seem to be having -weak struts or smth, so may get a recall over time).
Volvo Kick guard for back of seats if you have little ones. Mud flaps are worthwhile. Full textile boot liner on poppers is very good too.
Laminated side windows are pointless as all the noise at speed comes from tyres and suspension.
The only features I wouldn't reorder now are - car play, b&w, laminated side windows, passenger electric seat, any seat upgrades for momentum (standard seats are great). So that leaves you with a very expensive list of must haves. Good luck.
Deman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deman77 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 16:02   #5
mrlossyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
Headrests only collapse, but that comes free in family pack where just the booster, electric child locks and integrated shades are worth the money.
I specced car play but not used yet (only just getting sw update to get it) - for what it can do now I see no value in it (waze doesn't support it) but if you are big on music you may like what they did. It may improve with time. You can always add it later.
I can't live without HUD. I think it should be a standard safety feature (never get distracted from the road). Keep in mind it will delete heated windscreen (can't have both).
Fuel heater is an essential feature for me (it's a bit steep) as diesel takes ages to warm up. You can preheat the car and the engine from the app (means heated windscreen missing will be ok). I would still keep winter pack - warm steering wheel and seat are nice, but with fuel heater will mean you get warm air in the vents pretty much from the start even if you didn't preheat (need to enable heating booster in settings - default is a No)
4zone air con is important if you want any comfort in back row. - have a look on iPhone manual app you can see the diagrams of vents for 2zone and 4zone. Basically only went a in bpillars for back seats as standard. With 4zone you get two more in the middle and for 3rd row plus individual controls in the back of centre armrest. Again not cheap.
Pay for drive mode selection too if not r-design - it doesn't make a huge difference but you may need to use that off-road mode once and 200quid is good value for it.
Lighting pack is very classy for what it costs.
360 camera will allow you to fit in spaces with inches to spare. For such large car a must.
The little flashing things on door mirrors are great for blind spot monitoring - adaptive cruise control great. Lane keep great.
I find standard sound very good, but if you are a connoisseur people say bowers is as good as you can get in any car right now.
If you go for momentum go for dark colours - black grille looks cheap on lighter colours. Inscription looks much nicer in light colours with all the chrome trim not so in your face but not terrible in dark if you must.
If getting Amber seats and not Rdesign then spec black headliner otherwise you will have 5 colours interior (black dashboard, plastics and carpets, Amber seats, whatever colour inserts, chrome bits of trim and cream headliner). It's very subtle but if you are OCD it will bother you - the texture of headliner is nice and expensive and doesn't jump out at you but now I told you it would bother you no end. With black seats it's not so bad as it's only 4th colour.
Air suspension is a toss - arguably no better with some people complaining paining about rattle after 2-3k. I like it on mine for how flat it corners and breaks but in comfort setting it does not go anywhere near what I expected (it could be something to do with the fault that people seem to be having -weak struts or smth, so may get a recall over time).
Volvo Kick guard for back of seats if you have little ones. Mud flaps are worthwhile. Full textile boot liner on poppers is very good too.
Laminated side windows are pointless as all the noise at speed comes from tyres and suspension.
The only features I wouldn't reorder now are - car play, b&w, laminated side windows, passenger electric seat, any seat upgrades for momentum (standard seats are great). So that leaves you with a very expensive list of must haves. Good luck.
That was really useful, I appreciate your effort in that write up. I'm having an r design so.i think a few of the options are included. Sounds like you specd pretty much everything!!
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 17:47   #6
Deman77
Master Member

Just about. And only a few "cheaper" things are regrettable.
When you try those things on the demo you find a lot of them to be essential. They are not huge but they are there and when you think what it's like without them you go I'll have it.
And comparing the way things are done to something like xc70 I had as a loaner it's like it's a different manufacturer. Everything is more ergonomic, better looking, better feeling, less intrusive. You don't feel like you are overpaying for options with this car.
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 21:02   #7
mrlossyman

now removed the power folder head rests so you've saved me even more money :-). I think I've specd everything but:

CD player
Bowes sound
Air suspension
Power folder rear heads
Aux heater (I live in the SE)
Laminated side windows.
Apple car play (I have an android phone)

Been told 12 - 14 weeks.
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 22:56   #8
Deman77
Master Member

Get the heater. I'm just outside London. Mild winter and it was still worth it especially if you use the car for school runs (efficient D5 takes ages to warm up) - it really is much more comfortable. Preconditioning also reduces engine wear.
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 23:01   #9
Rooster
Speed freak

I think i would prefer the heated windscreen to the head up display as you carn't have both
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 07:18   #10
mrlossyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
Get the heater. I'm just outside London. Mild winter and it was still worth it especially if you use the car for school runs (efficient D5 takes ages to warm up) - it really is much more comfortable. Preconditioning also reduces engine wear.
People are selling this heater to me! I'll price it in, but then I think would I rather the bowes?