Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2018 xc60 inscription - speed camera warning

Views : 6894

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 2nd, 2018, 12:30   #1
beccles

Default 2018 xc60 inscription - speed camera warning

just swapped my 2017 r-design for the latest 2018 inscription. On the r-design i got an audible warning for speed cameras. On the new one i don't. Not sure if i get a dash warning (not driven it much yet but have noticed a profound silence when going through speed cameras!) but tbh a dash warning is not a lot of use if that's all i get.i can't be driving along looking at the dash all the time! Can i get an audible warning? if not then this is a surprising omission from volvo and a backward step..

Last edited by beccles; May 2nd, 2018 at 12:52. Reason: mistake
beccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2018, 00:32   #2
mike95

Unfortunately there is no audible warning for speed cameras.

I agree with you that it is a backward step and a little annoying. I would imagine that it would be a simple software upgrade to fix it but I haven't heard of any plans to do it.

Mike
Old May 3rd, 2018, 12:00   #3
beccles

thanks for the reply. I've since investigated a little more, and in fact you can get an audible warning for cameras, but it's inseparable from various other warnings, e.g. some road signs, speed limit etc. It annoyingly goes off if i hit 31 in a 30 for example and i then have to look at the dash to see what kind of warning it is.. if it's a speed camera it shows a little camera icon.. Meanwhile i've gone into the back of the car in front that has stopped suddenly while i'm not looking!
No doubt this is a great car with some nice touches but it does have some niggles.. e.g. the fuel gauge is very small and tucked away at the bottom of the dial, it often gets speed limits wrong, the foot opening boot hardly ever works, the menus are far too fussy.. I've switched SIPS on via the menus but it doesn't seem to work. The heads up display doesn't give much info and though there's a menu option to taylor what you see there, you don't actually get the option to change anything... For some features a button would suffice! Love the car, but much preferred the controls for everything as in the 2017 model.. easier and safer!!
Old May 4th, 2018, 00:19   #4
mike95

As far as I am aware the audible warning is just for the road sign speed limit, etc. and not linked to the speed camera at all.

Mike
Old May 4th, 2018, 21:40   #5
beccles

having driven the car a bit more now, i think you're right Mike. What a ridiculous omission! yes you do get a silent warning icon in the heads-up display, but you can't see that if you're wearing polaroids, and it doesn't pick up all cameras anyway.
i read that volvo say no-one will die in a volvo in a few years. Maybe, but a hell a lot of them will get speeding tickets!!

meanwhile, back to the tomtom!
The Following User Says Thank You to beccles For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2018, 12:39   #6
MaDProFF
Master Member

In the Past I have used the Pocket GPS speeding database, it is for many makes of sat navs.
I did notice a post for Volvo on the forums, but not sure if they got it working, it is installed as a poi on most systems, it will be something I will try to install when I get my XC60 in a month or two.

https://www.pocketgpsworld.com

They have been around for years, it is now subs, but you can try it first, database is updated weekly if not less sometimes.

I also use it on my iPhone, if need, and that should give you a warning if you are listening to music etc.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 22:50   #7
jonhedgerows

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccles View Post
having driven the car a bit more now, i think you're right Mike. What a ridiculous omission! yes you do get a silent warning icon in the heads-up display, but you can't see that if you're wearing polaroids, and it doesn't pick up all cameras anyway.
not sure if the 2018 and 2019MY are different on this, but on my 2019MY XC60 you have to turn on the audible warning:
Settings / My Car / Intellisafe / Road Sign Information / Speed Camera Audio Warning (I think... it's definitely buried in there somewhere)

Jon
jonhedgerows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonhedgerows For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 01:12   #8
molsal

I have audible warning for speed cameras, enabled as detailed by Jon.
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 18:26   #9
MaDProFF
Master Member

I also have audible warning, and an icon in dash, not all cameras are on the data base, though not downloaded latest maps, it does show some average cameras, it is mobiles I think it does not show. (the most important )
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 19:50   #10
Whippy
Premier Member

Or, radical idea I know but, you could just obey the speed limits.
Whippy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whippy For This Useful Post: