Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S70 fault codes

Views : 949

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2014, 20:50   #1
savanna

Default S70 fault codes

Hello,

About a week ago, I had some warning lights come up on my 1999 S70 (20V) dashboard and my speedometer and odometer stopped working - the lights were for ETS, ABS, brake circuit failure, and fault in the engine electronic system. I drove to an independent garage and their test showed the following codes: p0722, p1017, p0600 and p1021. The mechanic seems to think the problem might be the speed sensor and cleared the codes.

Now every day or so, a few warning lights come up on the dash and then go away, but the engine electronic system light seems to stay on. Sometimes, the speedometer and odometer stop working for a few minutes but they always come back to life. I have taken to using my satnav so that I can tell what speed I am doing at all times. I have also noticed some engine lag, especially when I try to pull away at roundabouts.

I can't seem to find a garage near me that can have a look at the car before Friday. The car has always been reliable, but now I am scared to drive it anywhere, as the engine has stalled once, although it started up again after a few minutes.

Has anyone experienced similar problems, and if so, how did you fix them? Can anyone recommend a garage in S Bucks (HP6 area)? Thank you.
savanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2014, 08:54   #2
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Is this a turbo car?

On the face of it there appear to be two or three problems.

Output speed sensor on the auto gearbox faulty. (P0722)

Some communication issues.(P0600)

Possible ECM faulty. (P1017)

Possible ETS faulty. (P1021)

If all this happened at the same time I'd start looking for a wiring problem or poor battery voltage.

If it's a non turbo car then this thread may help:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ighlight=P1017

Last edited by Chris_Rogers; Aug 19th, 2014 at 09:08.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_Rogers For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 16:53   #3
savanna

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your helpful reply. The mechanic I ended up taking my car to has said I need to have the ABS module repaired or replaced. He also said there are other problems with the car - apparently, the suspension and brake caliper need replacing. They have told me that I need to consider whether I want to spend a lot of money on repairs or get rid of the car. I like my S70 and it's been reliable in the two and half years I've had it and I'd really like to keep it, but I can't seem to find a competent garage (dealer or independent) in my area that does not charge a lot for repairs. Any suggestions?
savanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 21:44   #4
capt jack
VOC Member

Hard to be sure at 200 miles from you, but the garage you took the car to isn't trying to sell you another car by any chance?

Random electrical faults occurring all at once suggest a battery or charging problem. A lot of motor shops - Halfords for instance - will do a battery and charging test, often for free. This will give you a firm diagnosis of the state of the battery. If it is dying it will cost around £100 for a new one. The test will also tell you if the battery charging circuit is working properly.

If the car stalls and won't start then the RAC or AA will also check this out for free - assuming you're a member.

As for the 'new suspension and brake caliper'.......When did the car pass it's last MoT test, how many miles has it done since, and were any problems advised to you then? Suspension and brake integrity are the main part of the MoT test and developing problems should be spotted there.

Here's a suggested plan of action:

Get the car booked into to somewhere like National Tyres or ATS. With the exception of Kwik-Fit my own experience of these outlets is that they are pretty fair. Explain to them that you would like them to inspect and advise on the brakes and suspension, and to carry out a battery and charging circuit test. They should give you a written report. Don't agree to any work without coming back here first. Our local Motosave does free brake and suspension checks, so have a look around to see if anyone local to you does this. Even if they charge you say £50, all this should take no more than an hour and you will have a much better idea of what the problems might be. Don't actually go ahead and get any work done until you've had these checks done. Then come back on here and tell us what you find out.

It could be that the car has reached the point of no return of course, but all this would help to establish some basics. And it could indeed be that the ABS module is faulty, but to be honest my experience of having owned four 70-series cars with a total mileage on them of almost 600,000 miles is that it takes a lot to really break them, and that faults that seem dire are very often not serious at all. Mechanics are used to ordinary cars, which do indeed start to expire at low mileages, and will need expensive repairs because the cars are not well made in the first place. They also tend to reach for the computer and believe what that tells them without question.

But that isn't true of your S70.

Good luck

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Aug 22nd, 2014 at 21:46.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 08:54   #5
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

No speedo, points to an ABS ECU failure but the codes listed don't support this.

The ABS module can be repaired, cost around £100.
http://volvodiagnostic.com/shop/inde...roller=product
ETM is also repairable cost about the same.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=143579

Gearbox fault, if it's a sensor problem the speed sensor can be replaced for about £100 or less via a scrap yard.

However if all the faults occured together I'm suspicious that there is one underlying cause, most likely an alternator failure causing high or low battery voltage, has this been checked?

Brake and suspension work is just part of owning a car.

You can DIY then the cost of sorting the car may make it viable to keep.

Last edited by Chris_Rogers; Aug 23rd, 2014 at 09:06.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs, s70, speedometer not working