Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 regen

Views : 900

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2019, 21:03   #1
Steven9233
Steven9233

Default D5 regen

Looking at forums I’m pretty sure DPF and associated issues have been done to death . My Xc70 2011 which was formally my fathers car , has never once shown any sign of dpf issue (now touching a large piece of wood )

Popped down shop last night and when turned off heard the sound that metal makes when cooling , touched the exhaust tips and they were super super hot ! No cooling fan as suggested by many that can happen , I realised that due to the fact I only just driven a few miles I must of interrupted a regen cycle.
Therefore out of nothing other than interest , I set my alarm 20 mins early this morning and took the car down the carriage way before work ,
Set the gearbox in manual (4) and sat at 50mph or there abouts with cruise on.
This is when I have found the definitive regen tell tell. After a couple of miles at this speed and revs at 2200-2500 the instantaneous MPG dropped from 45ish to 21mpg , I watched as this swung around 21-26 over the next 7 - 10 minutes (interrupted by cancelling cruise for roundabouts )
Then suddenly the mpg shot back to mid to late 40s . Did not notice any difference in noise or feeling of the engine just the MPG.
I am aware the car sorts out the regen automatically and do not need to do what I have stated to get a regen going , only did this from interest. Might be of some interest to fellow D5 owners ? If not apologies I know it’s a well covered topic , what did surprise me is the need for the regen ! As over the last few weeks I’ve done more than a few longer fast runs , which to be honest I do not normally do, therefore I can only conclude the regen by the ecu is triggered by time / miles ? I don’t know and to be honest I don’t care as long as it carry’s on working and doesn’t fail and cost the same as a decent second car to fix . For note it is the D5 2.4 dual turbo engine , guess it’s the same for most volvos . I do very short runs normally school/work only 3 miles away , but I’m aware of the dpf fear and make sure I drive a decent run once a week say 15-20 miles , and occasionally a motorway run. Car is now 8 years old , only 55,000 miles with full history (Castrol edge ) and like I said so far never had an issue , if it wasn’t for that ticking noise of metal cooling after a short run wouldn’t of had a clue up until then of any regen activity
Steven9233 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steven9233 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 22:16   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven9233 View Post
Looking at forums I’m pretty sure DPF and associated issues have been done to death . My Xc70 2011 which was formally my fathers car , has never once shown any sign of dpf issue (now touching a large piece of wood )

Popped down shop last night and when turned off heard the sound that metal makes when cooling , touched the exhaust tips and they were super super hot ! No cooling fan as suggested by many that can happen , I realised that due to the fact I only just driven a few miles I must of interrupted a regen cycle.
Therefore out of nothing other than interest , I set my alarm 20 mins early this morning and took the car down the carriage way before work ,
Set the gearbox in manual (4) and sat at 50mph or there abouts with cruise on.
This is when I have found the definitive regen tell tell. After a couple of miles at this speed and revs at 2200-2500 the instantaneous MPG dropped from 45ish to 21mpg , I watched as this swung around 21-26 over the next 7 - 10 minutes (interrupted by cancelling cruise for roundabouts )
Then suddenly the mpg shot back to mid to late 40s . Did not notice any difference in noise or feeling of the engine just the MPG.
I am aware the car sorts out the regen automatically and do not need to do what I have stated to get a regen going , only did this from interest. Might be of some interest to fellow D5 owners ? If not apologies I know it’s a well covered topic , what did surprise me is the need for the regen ! As over the last few weeks I’ve done more than a few longer fast runs , which to be honest I do not normally do, therefore I can only conclude the regen by the ecu is triggered by time / miles ? I don’t know and to be honest I don’t care as long as it carry’s on working and doesn’t fail and cost the same as a decent second car to fix . For note it is the D5 2.4 dual turbo engine , guess it’s the same for most volvos . I do very short runs normally school/work only 3 miles away , but I’m aware of the dpf fear and make sure I drive a decent run once a week say 15-20 miles , and occasionally a motorway run. Car is now 8 years old , only 55,000 miles with full history (Castrol edge ) and like I said so far never had an issue , if it wasn’t for that ticking noise of metal cooling after a short run wouldn’t of had a clue up until then of any regen activity
The DPF regeneration takes care of it's self and you are not supposed to notice anything , the ECU works out how full the DPF is, it calculates the weight of soot in there and when circumstances are right it will start a regeneration when it passes the limit . more or less every new tank of fuel ..
There is always black soot coming from the engine , The DPF collects it , it doesn't matter how you drive really ...as long as you give it a chance with some 50 mph cruising to regenerate when you can .. It is a robust system ..
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 01:24   #3
Ovlovppz

The dpf regen process intrigued me for while.
Soon after I bought the car (2009 V70 2.4 diesel)
it gave me a message about the soot filter being full and to consult the cars manual. So I looked on here and did the low gear, highish rev journey for twenty minutes. Message successfully gone.
This prompted me to look into the regen process further. I bought a wifi obd dongle for the car and down loaded an app called "Car Scanner".
This enabled me to see what happens and when.
After numerous journeys I have deduced that the filter sems to regen somewhere between 21gms and 24gms. When it happens, the filters temp increases from about 230 degrees C to about 650 degrees C and the filter slowly reduces its soot content to 0 grams. The temp then reduces back down to 230 and the filter begins to refill.
Now, when this happens, I have not witnessed a reduction in mpg. It remains the same. About 45 mpg.
I have even seen it regen whilst travelling at slow speeds through Lincoln.
I often travel to Banff in northern Scotland to visit my daughter. During this journey, the dpf does not regen. It will hover at maybe 10 grams and only start to fill when on the slower roads near Aberdeen. Then it is regen time.
It really is an incredible sysyem and once you understand it and are aware of its needs it is a doddle to live with as it does seem to take care of itself.
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 04:30   #4
Steven9233
Steven9233

thats interesting , thanks for the info. Very glad it’s a robust system.
I was worried about this dpf since day I agreed to buy the car.
I was concerned that looking after a car so carefully and lovingly as I plan to keep this for many years only for it to written off down the line with a failed DPF.
My wife’s car is a Honda Accord (my old car) which we have owned 11 years from new - not so much as a bulb gone , not one solitary issue of any kind just been perfect with superb petrol Vtec engine , the Volvo has a lot to live up to , I have to say though as time has gone by I have become very fond of the XC70
And although I am a reserved driver I find it very satisfying to blast away the typical Audi 1.9tdi nutter pushing on rear bumper !! Although this is my first diesel the D5 when rolling at least seems a high performance unit if called upon.
I bought the car as a family tool ( roof rack for kayak ) estate for holidays and the safety reputation the car has , but instead of just being a tool , I find myself waxing it and pampering it - guess I’ve fallen in love with this so called tool
The Following User Says Thank You to Steven9233 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 04:38   #5
Steven9233
Steven9233

It’s a handsome tool 🙂
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9B332B66-B8D0-4F3B-9DAC-721E11EC0EE8.jpeg (245.6 KB, 26 views)
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 04:51   #6
Steven9233
Steven9233

Can I ask what type make your obd is and where you got it ? I reckon this would help me to look after the dpf as I do quite a few short journeys , would be interesting to see when it’s due a regen rather than touching exhaust etc !
Had a look on eBay and there is 100s not clear to me which is correct compatibility . Thanks in advance
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 11:03   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovlovppz View Post
The dpf regen process intrigued me for while.
Soon after I bought the car (2009 V70 2.4 diesel)
it gave me a message about the soot filter being full and to consult the cars manual. So I looked on here and did the low gear, highish rev journey for twenty minutes. Message successfully gone.
This prompted me to look into the regen process further. I bought a wifi obd dongle for the car and down loaded an app called "Car Scanner".
This enabled me to see what happens and when.
After numerous journeys I have deduced that the filter sems to regen somewhere between 21gms and 24gms. When it happens, the filters temp increases from about 230 degrees C to about 650 degrees C and the filter slowly reduces its soot content to 0 grams. The temp then reduces back down to 230 and the filter begins to refill.
Now, when this happens, I have not witnessed a reduction in mpg. It remains the same. About 45 mpg.
I have even seen it regen whilst travelling at slow speeds through Lincoln.
I often travel to Banff in northern Scotland to visit my daughter. During this journey, the dpf does not regen. It will hover at maybe 10 grams and only start to fill when on the slower roads near Aberdeen. Then it is regen time.
It really is an incredible sysyem and once you understand it and are aware of its needs it is a doddle to live with as it does seem to take care of itself.
a very nice description of what actually goes on 👍
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 12:50   #8
Ovlovppz

The obd scanner was very inexpensive and I got it off eBay. I chose a wifi model so as the phone would continue to connect to the cars bluetooth.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F153655592452
The app is "Car Scanner" and needs a basic set up but once working is very simple and informative to use.
It seems to to the trick for me 👍
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 13:05   #9
Steven9233
Steven9233

Great , thanks for the info 👍
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 19:04   #10
piotrek

Bluetooth standard can simultaneously connect up to 4 devices, so your phone will connect to obd2 bluetooth and to car bluetooth without any problems (iPhones require obd2 Bluetooth 4.0).
Wifi obd2 dongle may interrupt music and data streaming via phone to car, and require more fiddling each time when connecting to obd2.
piotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to piotrek For This Useful Post: