Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

855 T5 Manual, 'R' Goodies BC Racing Coilovers...

Views : 1570

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2019, 10:07   #1
AshleyT5

Default 855 T5 Manual, 'R' Goodies BC Racing Coilovers...

Morning all

Time to move the T5 on, I purchased the car from a friend who was only the second owner from new. He is a keen road race cyclist and used the car as a second car purely to travel to races with the bike in the back covering very low mileage during his ownership.

When purchased the car had 107,000 miles. I have completed around 50,000 trouble free miles.
Knowing nothing about Volvo’s, I bought the car as a stop gap for a couple of months and nearly four years later I can honestly say it’s one of the best cars I’ve ever owned and worked on. I’m only selling as I have use of other vehicles at home and through work so no longer needed.

I’m not desperate to sell so will happily tuck away and use sparingly if nobody is interested.

The car is a sought after manual 855 T5 CD in green. First registered on 05/10/1996

It’s a 2319cc 5 Cylinder Turbo producing 225 bhp

The car has two previous owners and a large stack of receipts, almost all MOT’s from new along with owners manual, spare key and alarm fob etc.
Vehicle details as follows;
• ABS / TRACS / Electric front and rear windows / Electric Sunroof / Heated front seats / Remote locking / Electric drivers seat adjustment. A/C does not work, never tested or recharged so unknown if it just needs re-gassing or more.
• MOT Until 14th October 2019
• Currently on 154,000 ish miles (will increase slightly as in use)
• Tow Bar (fitted by myself so not had one all its life) Genuine item I installed as I do the odd motorbike track day so was an option for towing bike trailer. Still fitted but swan neck removed to tidy the look.

As the car grew on me, I happily lavished some love on it and during my ownership I have undertaken the following works myself (mainly) with purchase receipts to prove.
• Regular servicing
• Rear suspension top mounts
• Outer CV Boots
• O/S outer CV joint
• Rear handbrake shoes
• Rear Disks and pads
• Front disks and pads
• Brake fluid change
• New windscreen
• New tailgate to glass weather strip
• Brand new (Volvo classic parts) rear bumper
• Brand new (Volvo classic parts) textured front upper bumper
• Cambelt (around 15k ago)
• Clutch and release bearing
• New lower arms
• New tie rods and ends

In addition to the above I have also undertaken some modifications which I feel enhance the car and can be left as is or removed so the car can be sold as a stock vehicle, these include;
• BC Racing coilovers, bought brand new around 1 year ago. Great coilover after lots of research, with Tim Williams recommended spring rates. These have pillow ball top mounts, damping and height and camper adjustment on the fronts, damping and height adjustment on the rear.
• Volvo T5R 17” Titan alloy wheels (set of 5)
• 302mm front brakes so larger caliper carriers and police spec pads (big improvement)
• 850R colour coded rear number plate plinth
• Rear Spoiler (freshly painted)
• Volvo 850R front bumper
• I also have purchased but never fitted; De-cat pipe, 3” angle downpipe, Japanifold, stainless catch tank

As with any car that is largely original and over 22 years old there are some negatives
I’m going to be honest so not to waste time or have people trying to knock me down on the price.
• Paintwork is ‘OK’, there is NO rust on the car but paint could do with a machine polish
• On the roof rail trims the plastic is coming away from the metal, no biggie but cosmetic as seen in pics
• The emissions light comes on occasionally. Handbook states either lambda or MAF sensor but has no effect on performance or fuel consumption etc. Does not go into limp mode or anything. It comes on every few weeks for a few days then clears itself
• Body work is pretty straight for age, few light scuffs and couple of larger stone chips on bonnet
• Main body defect is a dent on dogleg behind o/s rear door. See pic
• Load cover does not retract

Overall decent condition and honest car, very practical, fairly quick for its size and comfy (even with suspension)

As the car sits now I’m looking for £2500

IF I were to put back to standard;
• BC Racing Coilovers £450
• 17” Titans (set of 5, fifth wheel is black) £500 (tyres were advisory at MOT but legal)
• 302mm carriers, disks and pads £150
• 850R front bumper with new textured upper £350

• Car on stock suspension, brakes, 15” alloy wheels and tatty but acceptable front bumper £1500

(Light is reflection from the house, not one headlamp only working)

Located Maidstone Kent (ME16)

Ash
AshleyT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 10:20   #2
AshleyT5

Couple more pics

Ash
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AshleyT5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 14:54   #3
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Hi, Well written advert, which makes such a change for the "car for sale, make me an offer" type.

Hope the car goes to someone who appreciates it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CharlesStevenson For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 14:58   #4
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

P.S. re the black plastic trim coming away from the roof rail trims, I found that you can buy tape by the Gorilla brand that is the exact width in grey that will cover the bare metal and that stays in place for many months & across hot & cold temps. (not an OE fix but, it works)
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesStevenson For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 15:13   #5
AshleyT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesStevenson View Post
P.S. re the black plastic trim coming away from the roof rail trims, I found that you can buy tape by the Gorilla brand that is the exact width in grey that will cover the bare metal and that stays in place for many months & across hot & cold temps. (not an OE fix but, it works)
Thats good to know, thank you.
If i end up keeping it i'll look into that

Ash
The Following User Says Thank You to AshleyT5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 20:54   #6
XCR
Master Member

Had I not just bought a '98 V70 T5 in the same colour locally today, I'd have been giving you a call on this as it looks fantastic.
Good luck with the sale.
XCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2019, 18:12   #7
AshleyT5

@Ross 63, PM replied to

Ash

Last edited by AshleyT5; Jan 28th, 2019 at 18:14.
The Following User Says Thank You to AshleyT5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 09:40   #8
AshleyT5

Deposit taken

SOLD Pending viewing

Ash
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 22:04   #9
Ross 63
Breaks things

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyT5 View Post
Deposit taken

SOLD Pending viewing

Ash
Nice to meet you today Ash. She behaved well all the way back to Edinburgh and managed 450 miles on a tank, loaded to the gunwales with kit and not hanging around.

The coilovers aren't really practical for me in pothole ridden Edinburgh, so these will be coming off and new oe springs, shocks and top mounts going on. A couple of wee jobs to do, but onwards and upwards. She joins her autobox sister in the Capital of Scotland.