Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What to warm up manually to switch to gas quicker

Views : 4371

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2011, 08:20   #21
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Are those pictures of iced-up vapourisers a thing of the past then or are they only in Alaska?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 00:25   #22
daveherbert

Default Thanks FatLadZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatLadZ View Post
also youll find that you can gas start most multipoint lpg kits by holding the lpg switch on as you switch the ignition on and crank it.
I found this out the other day when i was telling someone about the time 2 years ago when i ran out of petrol in deep snow and had to walkk 3 miles for petrol!!!!
Much to this guys joy he told me all about it and was laughing

I can confirm what FatLadZ says is correct, well at least in my case. I have a 4lt ford explorer with a multi point gas system. After reading FatLadZ post I immediately tried it and it fires up on gas. no petrol used at all. prior to this I was using 2 gallon a week. 2 gallon in the uk costs me about £12 x 52 weeks will save me over £600 a year. FatLadZ I owe you a beer mate
daveherbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 21:31   #23
TomW

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveherbert View Post
I can confirm what FatLadZ says is correct, well at least in my case. I have a 4lt ford explorer with a multi point gas system. After reading FatLadZ post I immediately tried it and it fires up on gas. no petrol used at all. prior to this I was using 2 gallon a week. 2 gallon in the uk costs me about £12 x 52 weeks will save me over £600 a year. FatLadZ I owe you a beer mate
Is it possible to carry out the above procedure with a V70 factory fit bifuel?
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 13:06   #24
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Cold start enrichement

Look at it from a LPG system manufacturers point of view:
Your engine is basically a petrol engine. On LPG the original ECU is tricked to let it think it is still running on petrol. To start a cold engine on petrol you need to enrich the air/fuel mixture, because some petrol will condensate in the cold engine and not be burnt. LPG is a gas and will not condensate in a cold engine, so mixture enrichement is not necessary. Because the ECU enriches the mixture as a standard, a cold engine on LPG will be running (much) too rich. What easier solution to avoid possible complaints about rough running than to start on petrol as a standard and to use the well tried out cold start strategy of the manufacturer? You also avoid problems with the original petrol system because it is regularly used. Other problems you avoid are frozen evaporators and starting problems because of a weak ignition system (LPG needs a stronger spark) which gave LPG systems a bad name in the past. On liquid injection systems (Vialle LPi) you also avoid the problem of ice particles in the inlet manifold, as a result of injection of liquid LPG (<0°C) into cold and damp combustion air.

My previous car (360) had a ring mixer type LPG system that was not connected in any way to the original fuel injection ECU. I always started that one on LPG, even during winters. I will never forget how easily it started on LPG after a very cold -18°C winter night, to jumpstart my neighbour with his new Renault diesel....
On my current 940 with Vialle LPi I like the idea that the petrol system is tested and "flushed" every morning. By the way, running a car on LPG with an (almost) empty petrol tank will destroy your fuel pump(s)! The petrol pump also runs when running on LPG!
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 22:19   #25
Herestandsaman

Interesting thread.
I have 3 cars on LPG
The car to switch to lpg first is a custom system installed by classicswede on my 855R
Next is the Prins system installed on my C70
& worst is the BRC system on my v70R
BRC is crap, & so is their customer service.
Herestandsaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 23:27   #26
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The BRC temp sensors are also different to all other systems. With the BRC software it is possible to lower the change over time and temperature but will all the other problems you have had with the system I don't think dropping the change over temp would be a good idea.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 16:24   #27
knobstar

I don't believe that running from start on LPG will have any adverse effects or even that it would be overly rich - surely the latter is impossible if you've got a closed-loop system? At least,on a closed-loop single point system it will always try to hit perfect stoich,will it not?
My system wasn't working great last winter but I intend to run it on just LPG this year :-)
knobstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2013, 00:12   #28
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

They run open loop on startup until the lambda has heated up

Also under load the injectors can freeze
Old Nov 1st, 2013, 08:36   #29
knobstar

Fair points,though I guess very system dependant: I have a heated lambda (5-wire type); no injectors as such (just a tube into the throttle) and can also set the amount of time it runs open loop (it's a Leonardo).
knobstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2013, 18:10   #30
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

How have you connected to the lambda or have you fitted a separate probe as the Leo can not read a 5 wire probe. Cars with a 5 wire are also going to have the engine light on the time of running a mixer system as the mixture control is not compatible with them