Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Horrible Hot Starts

Views : 730

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2018, 23:13   #1
stiggles
TG's tame racing driver

Default Horrible Hot Starts

Hi Folks

I've returned to X40 ownership after 2 years and I'm now running a 52 plate v40 1.8 (Volvo engine). The vehicle has done just over 104,000 miles.

All is well apart from hot starts which are a mixture of baffling and terrifying. It catches quickly but there is an almighty clatter that shudders the whole car for a fraction of a second before it settles down into a quiet & stable idle. The noise is almost metallic. It's quite embarrassing. Yesterday I turned a few heads on the petrol station forecourt

I'm no stranger to these engines (having had both a v40 and s40 before this one), but I've never experienced anything like this before.

I've just done a full service (air-filter, genuine oil filter, genuine Volvo plugs) and it runs beautifully apart from the aforementioned hot starts.

VVT is quiet, and it pulls and runs great otherwise.

Any suggestions? Time permitting I'm going to see if I can record what it's doing over the weekend.

Thanks

David
stiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 18:32   #2
villar4sotrondio

That makes me think of engine mounts.
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 21:14   #3
stiggles
TG's tame racing driver

Here's an example

Typically when I decided to film it wasn't as loud as I've heard previously it but should give you some idea

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 22:57   #4
Baffler
Premier Member

And it only happens when it's hot? Cold start is normal?

Starter motor sounds a little odd...I wonder is the correct one fitted?

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 12:41   #5
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

do you have a rail fuel pressure regulator on that puppy? That is one strange sound. It may be worthwhile to get a fuel pressure tester hooked up to see how the pressure looks at start-up. Maybe try also cleaning the throttle body...

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2018, 20:05   #6
stiggles
TG's tame racing driver

Hi Folks

I think after some further investigation I think I've got 2 issues. The hot-starts are smoother since the swapping out of the plugs but I'm still getting some odd noise and clattering on start-up. I also noticed a similar noise can occur momentarily on blipping the throttle.

I grabbed a camera and filmed the aux belt area with the engine running (look further on for slow-motion footage)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

As you can see for a fraction of a second there's allot of belt chatter. Given the hot-starts can be irregular as well I think that's causing extra noise from the belt area. It's generally quiet at idle so I'm assuming it's either the tensioner or possible a very early sign of the alternator clutch pulley as I understand that is designed to smooth out/deal with engine vibrations.

Depending on how long I keep the car (I'm currently running it as a stop-gap) I may swap both the pulley & tensioner.

Will keep everyone updated.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to stiggles For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 00:54   #7
stiggles
TG's tame racing driver

Hi All

Sorry for resurrecting this thread after so long but I wanted to provide an update with a notable (worrying) development that happened on last week.

Since my last posts I traced some noise back to a seized free wheeling alternator pulley. After some fun & faff getting the right pulley (it turns out my car seems to have a 2.0T alternator?) it eliminated quite a bit of the belt movement and seemed initially to quieten down the startups also.

Then last week - this happened whilst on holiday
+ YouTube Video

The initial turn-over sounded pretty terminal and I assumed it was Valves contacting pistons. The next turn-over it ran as normal. It's continued to do this if restarted when hot (albeit not quite as violent) over the last week. If left to cool it starts ok. I'm completely baffled as to the cause now, it almost sounds like it's predetonating perhaps and firing out of sequence the first time which obviously isnt good for the engine's longevity.

So at the moment I'm unsure what the solution will be. It successfully clocked up a further 1200 miles after this 'incident' so I can't believe it's a timing belt issue. I'm considering throwing some 98Ron or higher fuel in it next to see if that aids with the hot starting or perhaps even trying a carbon clean incase it's a carbon build up causing the strangeness.

As before I'll keep you posted if I ever suss the problem!
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 18:54   #8
magnuz
Ancient

It sort of sounds like over advanced ignition timing that i have had in old cars from years ago that didn't have electronic ignition systems & the distributor had moved. That problem can cause pre ignition & try to force the piston back down the cylinder before it reaches the top, causing sluggish starter motor turn over & a knock similar to diesel knock.
But as your car doesn't have a distributor, & is all elecronically controlled, i don't know if the timing could possibly be out or not ?
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 14:13   #9
canis
Non Fragile

Ahhhhhh, yes. So maybe a camshaft/crankshaft position sensor - it's tiny internal coil going open circuit when hot, maybe, and the engine management failing to predict the exact moment.

Just a thought.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote