Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 D5 vs T8 Thoughts

Views : 2588

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2019, 17:35   #1
DangerMUK
VOC Member

Smile XC60 D5 vs T8 Thoughts

Hey Guys,

Just got given a loaner XC60 R-Design Pro D5 AWD and I've got an Inscription Pro T8 AWD.

Whilst the T8 definitely has more power (mine also has the Polestar upgrade where as this loan car doesn't), the AWD system in the D5 feels a lot better handling wise and through the steering wheel. Not sure if its a T6/T8 thing but maybe 300bhp through the front wheels just feels like that even with the electric motors at the back on the T8 variants - not sure.

Otherwise, I personally prefer the Inscription seats to the R-Design seats, but on the other hand prefer the fact you can get black headlining with black seats in the R-Design model and can't on the Inscription.

Noticed the wheel has gearshift paddles as well, never even knew that was an option!

Both are really cool cars though, was surprised how "AWD" the D5 feels compared to my T8! Shame they don't do a T6 AWD in the UK would be a nice car to test.

Possibly XC90
DangerMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 17:52   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

I nearly went for the R design but it was the dark headlining that put me off and you can't option a light roof lining, I wanted a nice light interior after having 3 dark leather interiors in a row so I went with the Inscription in Blond Nappa and wood trim. Also you could not have a heated steering wheel at the time on the R design, I think you can now though.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Feb 15th, 2019 at 17:54.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 20:29   #3
MaDProFF
Master Member

Paddles standard on Design Pro, the main reason I went for the Design Pro.
Mine also has heated steering wheel.

I agree that the difference in power over the T5 and T8 is the reason why you get torque steer, the electric motor is not powerful enough to keep up with the front under full acceleration, and certainly a little worse with Polestar.

But tbh it is no worse than back in the day with hot hatch FWD just more lively and you have to be on the ball a bit more it does not bother me, fact is it is a very very fast car when you want it to be.
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 01:00   #4
DangerMUK
VOC Member

Yeah I completely agree its very fast, but after driving this D5 more I think I can safely say in this comparison;

X60 T8 Inscription Pro (Polestar) with Air Suspension & 20" Alloys
X60 D5 R-Design Pro with Air Suspension & 21" Alloys

That the D5 model handles a lot better, not sure if its weight distribution, 4WD/AWD system, different suspension setup, but in London it handles a lot better than my T8 - the T8 is obviously a lot more powerful than the D5 but I'm not necessarily sure that directly equals better.

Would be very interested to try a T6 XC60 AWD to see if its the engine or the hybrid AWD setup or the battery & hybrid engine weight or all of them!

Was also surprised that 21" alloys didn't feel noticeably harsher than my 20" alloys - is the R-Design air suspension setup any differently to the Inscription air suspension or is it the same when not on standard/adaptive coils?

Possibly XC90

Last edited by DangerMUK; Feb 16th, 2019 at 01:07.
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 01:17   #5
anotherv60
Master Member

I assume it’s the same with the Rdesign for the XC60 as with the V90 Rdesign, they have a sports chassis which is supposed to improve handling although perhaps a firmer ride, but with air suspension perhaps you don’t experience the firmer ride and just have the benefit of less roll in corners.
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 08:34   #6
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMUK View Post
...That the D5 model handles a lot better, not sure if its weight distribution, 4WD/AWD system, different suspension setup...
Have you tried the previous D5 AWD version, IMHO it is far better.

We have had two older style D5 AWD's and have also test drove the new style D5 AWD and T8. Interior finish and tech are slightly better on the new versions but the handling is wafty, it is the only word that describes it. The limited positive feedback from the steering even with the settings at their maximum is disappointing.

Our D5 AWD is coming to the end of its 5-year manufacturer's warranty this year, it is unlikely to be replaced by the latest XC60. A T6 AWD with improved steering feedback is not available. A pity that Volvo think they know best in the UK and limit what we are allowed to buy.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 10:29   #7
nu11eaf
Premier Member

I agree, my last 3 xc90 mk 1 D5's handled much better on winding country roads, you could really drive them enthusiastically, I don't get the same confidence with my new D5 but it does improve a little when put into dynamic mode with lowered air suspension and slightly stiffer steering, but still does not feel as sure footed as my older models and those had standard 18" wheels and higher profile tyres..
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 15:01   #8
DangerMUK
VOC Member

The R-Design Pro with air suspension and 21" alloys in dynamic mode feels pretty good handling wise to me, in fact I'm surprised there's such noticeable difference in handling between my car and this loan car I'm in.

Do we know if the air suspension is different between R-Design Pro and Inscription Pro cars?

Failing the availability of a T6 XC60 anytime soon, would be nice to try the Polestar upgrade on this D5 and see what that does to it.

I'm guessing it's also the weight of the batteries in my T8 and as MaDProFF said there's a big discrepancy between the power rating of the front engine and the rear engine.

Just surprised at the difference between the two cars that's all. I'm also surprised that this R-Design has one inch bigger alloys and feels a lot less crashy over bad roads in London - but I'm guessing that might be the extra weight in the T8 or something similar.

Possibly XC90

Last edited by DangerMUK; Feb 16th, 2019 at 15:04.
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 20:42   #9
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by id5 View Post
Have you tried the previous D5 AWD version, IMHO it is far better.

We have had two older style D5 AWD's and have also test drove the new style D5 AWD and T8. Interior finish and tech are slightly better on the new versions but the handling is wafty, it is the only word that describes it. The limited positive feedback from the steering even with the settings at their maximum is disappointing.

Our D5 AWD is coming to the end of its 5-year manufacturer's warranty this year, it is unlikely to be replaced by the latest XC60. A T6 AWD with improved steering feedback is not available. A pity that Volvo think they know best in the UK and limit what we are allowed to buy.
Interior finish and tech “slightly better”?? C’mon now.. comparing first gen XC60/V60/XC90 interior and tech to SPA cars is like comparing a roman galley to a space ship.. and that comes from someone who owned a first gen XC60 and a V60- and I loved both of the cars, just to be clear.

Handling wise- test an RD (non-pro version..) car and tell me what you think.

I’d also disagree on the steering feel/feedback. No volvo was ever a BMW- but the SPA-generation adaptive steering is head and shoulders above the first gen cars’ fixed-ratio steering..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 20:44   #10
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMUK View Post
Do we know if the air suspension is different between R-Design Pro and Inscription Pro cars?
Air suspension is the same on all trims. Only the RD standard suspension setup is different- 30% stiffer springs and 10mm lower..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote