Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Puzzling electrical fault, overdrive, fuel and temp gauges

Views : 715

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Anyone ever had this problem before?
Yes 1 33.33%
No 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 23rd, 2021, 16:59   #1
Graphic

Default Puzzling electrical fault, overdrive, fuel and temp gauges

Facing a very puzzling electrical fault on a 1990 240 estate automatic (2L, 114k miles)
The fault ties up the fuel and temp gauges with the overdrive lock lamp. Any advice or guidance greatly appreciated.

Car is stored when not in use with the battery disconnected. (Always starts first time when taken out :-).
BUT after 5 mins or so the fuel and temp guages suddenly drop to zero and stay there plus the overdrive Lock indicator lamp (orange arrow up) comes on and stays on.
When the button is pressed on the gear shift the light now goes out (instead of on !).

So far I've tired
Replacing the gearbox relay (the one down left of the steering wheel)
Replacing the power transitor on the back of the instrument panel that feeds the fuel and temperature sensor.
Testing out the fuel guage sender in the tank (current and voltage ok).
Taking out the radio circuit fuse (original radio finally died last year - awaiting replacement).

Just wondered if any of the really experienced 240 pros have any idea whats going before I start a full 'foresenzic' electrical diagonstic job.

Any insights or comment geatly appreciated.

Thankyou.

Last edited by Graphic; May 23rd, 2021 at 17:02.
Graphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2021, 19:18   #2
BrianH
VOC Member

Check the small wire that comes from the alternator direct. I had a problem like this recently.
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 00:14   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
Facing a very puzzling electrical fault on a 1990 240 estate automatic (2L, 114k miles)
The fault ties up the fuel and temp gauges with the overdrive lock lamp. Any advice or guidance greatly appreciated.

Car is stored when not in use with the battery disconnected. (Always starts first time when taken out :-).
BUT after 5 mins or so the fuel and temp guages suddenly drop to zero and stay there plus the overdrive Lock indicator lamp (orange arrow up) comes on and stays on.
When the button is pressed on the gear shift the light now goes out (instead of on !).

So far I've tired
Replacing the gearbox relay (the one down left of the steering wheel)
Replacing the power transitor on the back of the instrument panel that feeds the fuel and temperature sensor.
Testing out the fuel guage sender in the tank (current and voltage ok).
Taking out the radio circuit fuse (original radio finally died last year - awaiting replacement).

Just wondered if any of the really experienced 240 pros have any idea whats going before I start a full 'foresenzic' electrical diagonstic job.

Any insights or comment geatly appreciated.

Thankyou.
probably an earthing problem on the instrument panel , does the tachometer work? add a separate earth wire to the black wire which goes to the 3 way plug on the back of the Tachometer ...
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 00:55   #4
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

We occasionally get some strange electrical faults. The fix for us is always to check the ignition key has returned to its proper position after starting.

------------------------------------------------------
Comfy and roomy but a bit boring. I've had two.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 10:53   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Chances are it's a dry joint somewhere on the PCB on the back of the instrument cluster. If i don't use my 760 for longer journeys for a while, i get the OD warning light coming on by itself, using the button in the side of the shifter sorts it out though.

If it performs ok after a short period of activity, i'd suggest the dry joint is getting moisture in from the atmosphere, once dried out with some use everything is back to normal. Could also be slight corrosion on one of the instrument cluster plug connectors.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 22:26   #6
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Hello

Has this been solved/resolved please?

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel gauge, overdrive, temperature gauge