Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Undiagnosed Steering Pproblem

Views : 1787

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2021, 19:05   #1
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Default Undiagnosed Steering Pproblem

Six weeks ago I bumped over a traffic island where the bollard was missing and I didn't see it while making a left turn into a side road. Of course the council are denying all responsibility but before I can take the matter further I need to diagnose the exact nature of the problem.

The front right (offside) wheel struck the 6 inch kerb while at almost full left lock. The steering then was left pulling to the left and the wheel was slightly off centre, down slightly to the right.

I took the car to the local dealer who are helpful and go out of their way to be so. They have a Hunter steering alignment rig and put the car on it and said that the steering angles, front and rear, needed realigning, which they did. They also inspected the steering and said that they could find no actual damage. I test drove the car and all seemed well so I paid the bill and took the car away.

Over a period of a couple of weeks I felt that the steering was not as stable as it had previously been and by the time three weeks had elapsed the steering wheel was off centre by about an inch at the rim.

I took the car back to the dealer and said I was worried that they may have not found something as the wheel was off centre and the steering felt as if minor adjustments needed constantly to be made to hold a straight line. They put the car back on the Hunter rig and confirmed that the angles were out of alignment and readjusted the set up and again inspected the steering but could find no damage. They said that they could not charge me for the work as it might be that they hadn't done it properly the first time although they were confident that they had.

Within a week the same thing happened again and after a 200 mile round trip the steering wheel was again an inch out of true, down on the right and the car was drifting slightly to the left and needing constant micro adjustment to hold a straight line.

Back to the dealer for the third time and back on the Hunter rig where the read out inexplicably showed that it was now the rear tracking which was more out than the front which was also out of alignment. The technician said that rear wheel misalignment can have a significant effect on the steering and handling of the car. The tracking all round was again adjusted, again at no cost, but I now have little confidence that it will stay as it hasn't before and no one can say what the underlying fault might be.

Since the tracking adjustments cannot all loosen themselves at random in this way, I am left with a couple of possibilities. Firstly that the problem is inside the rack where, of course, things are supposed to move but that doesn't explain the rear tracking. Secondly, more sinisterly could the chassis be out of true? The technician offered the thought that the bushes needed replacing but that seemed unlikely that they would all fail immediately after the impact on one wheel and that the car has only done 55K miles.

This car has been my most successful car over a lifetime of driving all manner of cars. I had intended to keep it for the indefinite future with great confidence. That confidence has suffered and I don't know what to do when within the next few days the problem reappears, as it is likely to do judging from recent events.

This is not something that VIDA can check and the Hunter rig is acknowledged to be the best in the business. Do these symptoms ring any bells with anyone as I am spiralling into a depression about the state of this car.
Old Jun 2nd, 2021, 20:42   #2
yostumpy

Sorry I can't shed any light, but interestingly you say it pulls to the left, but the steering wheel is down on the right? OR is it down on the right, because you are holding it there to keep it in a straight line?
I would go trough your insurance company, as then whatever it costs, will be covered, and you keep sending it back until its right. Have you damaged the tyre casing, maybe swap fronts and rear over, see if it makes a difference.
Also take it to one of those multi storey car parks, with the polished floors, drive in a straight line, with the windows open,and see if you can hear the tyres squealing at all, (out of alignment).
Are the steering rack bolts tight? Is the alloy wheel damaged?

Last edited by yostumpy; Jun 2nd, 2021 at 20:47.
yostumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2021, 21:10   #3
yostumpy

Update :-

Possibly got to the bottom of this, 3 sets of front tyres later!

Seemed it was reasonably obvious though I'd thought about it before and taken a measurement but obviously not well enough!
Haven't driven it yet as still in pieces on the road.

Right hand track rod was adjusted to about the min limit point, let hand rod threads were bottomed out. Seems that every alignment shop has done the same thing and just adjusted one end. So the rack is trying to self centre, and that centre point is off to the right, hence wheels ate pushed to the left.
Had trued to diagnose this earlier by running with front end off the ground but maybe I wasn't looking for the right thing

Found this on a post from 2016
Old Jun 2nd, 2021, 21:46   #4
Ian21401
Premier Member

Has the offside front suspension been forced back and inwards by the impact of the wheel against that kerb? Has the suspension strut been moved? Has the lower control arm been forced back and inwards so slightly deforming the subframe where it is attached. I guess it would only need to be by a few mms. and probably not apparent to the naked eye.
My brother had an incident decades ago with a mk1 Cortina. Over enthusiastic on a right hand bend on a country lane causing the nearside front wheel to mount the verge with some force. Pushed the Macpherson strut suspension inwards slightly. Still driveable but not right and needed to be sorted.
Just random thoughts from a distance.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2021, 22:04   #5
ferg55

I would agree that this is probably a job for your insurance - you could be chasing down the fault at great cost to yourself otherwise. It is likely that the front wishbone, strut, tie rod or some other component (or combination of) has deformed whilst absorbing the impact - they are designed to do so and thus not break suddenly. If your friendly dealership can "diagnose" that some or all of these components have likely suffered, the insurance will then pay for them to be replaced. I'd look at it as a golden opportunity to get a lot of major parts renewed in one claim - and in the case of your expensive 4C shocks then, well, both sides of course
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 07:09   #6
grubby mits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
Six weeks ago I bumped over a traffic island where the bollard was missing and I didn't see it while making a left turn into a side road. Of course the council are denying all responsibility but before I can take the matter further I need to diagnose the exact nature of the problem.

The front right (offside) wheel struck the 6 inch kerb while at almost full left lock. The steering then was left pulling to the left and the wheel was slightly off centre, down slightly to the right.

I took the car to the local dealer who are helpful and go out of their way to be so. They have a Hunter steering alignment rig and put the car on it and said that the steering angles, front and rear, needed realigning, which they did. They also inspected the steering and said that they could find no actual damage. I test drove the car and all seemed well so I paid the bill and took the car away.

Over a period of a couple of weeks I felt that the steering was not as stable as it had previously been and by the time three weeks had elapsed the steering wheel was off centre by about an inch at the rim.

I took the car back to the dealer and said I was worried that they may have not found something as the wheel was off centre and the steering felt as if minor adjustments needed constantly to be made to hold a straight line. They put the car back on the Hunter rig and confirmed that the angles were out of alignment and readjusted the set up and again inspected the steering but could find no damage. They said that they could not charge me for the work as it might be that they hadn't done it properly the first time although they were confident that they had.

Within a week the same thing happened again and after a 200 mile round trip the steering wheel was again an inch out of true, down on the right and the car was drifting slightly to the left and needing constant micro adjustment to hold a straight line.

Back to the dealer for the third time and back on the Hunter rig where the read out inexplicably showed that it was now the rear tracking which was more out than the front which was also out of alignment. The technician said that rear wheel misalignment can have a significant effect on the steering and handling of the car. The tracking all round was again adjusted, again at no cost, but I now have little confidence that it will stay as it hasn't before and no one can say what the underlying fault might be.

Since the tracking adjustments cannot all loosen themselves at random in this way, I am left with a couple of possibilities. Firstly that the problem is inside the rack where, of course, things are supposed to move but that doesn't explain the rear tracking. Secondly, more sinisterly could the chassis be out of true? The technician offered the thought that the bushes needed replacing but that seemed unlikely that they would all fail immediately after the impact on one wheel and that the car has only done 55K miles.

This car has been my most successful car over a lifetime of driving all manner of cars. I had intended to keep it for the indefinite future with great confidence. That confidence has suffered and I don't know what to do when within the next few days the problem reappears, as it is likely to do judging from recent events.

This is not something that VIDA can check and the Hunter rig is acknowledged to be the best in the business. Do these symptoms ring any bells with anyone as I am spiralling into a depression about the state of this car.
My opinion:- The alignment is changing with the forward motion of the car. When it comes to rest the alignment completely or partially recovers - that is why the alignment rig cannot correct it. There must be as yet undiscovered damage (or more likely weakness) somewhere. Think bushes mountings and joints. Take it for a second opinion to another workshop and get them to test everything hard with a breaker bar.

GM
grubby mits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grubby mits For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 10:54   #7
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Default Second set of problems may or may not be related

Drove the car over rough ground and the rear suspension bottomed on a rock. Dash warning light and messages for DSTC Service Required and City Safety Service Required. My VIDA says there is now a connection problem between the CEM and the TCM and consequently there is no all wheel drive, just FWD

Peculiarly the car now handles differently but without the symptoms of indifferent steering that it was suffering from. The steering is much more responsive and there seems to be more power available on the road. It's like a different car. It's going back to the dealer as the electronics are beyond my DIY skills.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 11:06   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Drove the car over rough ground and the rear suspension bottomed on a rock. Dash warning light and messages for DSTC Service Required and City Safety Service Required. My VIDA says there is now a connection problem between the CEM and the TCM and consequently there is no all wheel drive, just FWD

Peculiarly the car now handles differently but without the symptoms of indifferent steering that it was suffering from. The steering is much more responsive and there seems to be more power available on the road. It's like a different car. It's going back to the dealer as the electronics are beyond my DIY skills.

You have had very bad service , Initially they should never have adjusted anything .. they should have identified which ever suspension or steering part which was bent ...

Hunter alignment machines are good yes but so are all the others , they all indicate which way the wheels are pointing . The variables are the operators and how they interpret the readings given and what they do to correct them if necessary .... Have you had any parts replaced yet? 👍

Have you had the underside inspected yet after the latest bashing ?
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 12:58   #9
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:

check for broken control arm bolts also check inner steering rack ends any damage to these components will not show on a static alignment as they hold the steering central whilst they perform alignment ... definately need some closer inspection not more ajustments
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 14:19   #10
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You have had very bad service , Initially they should never have adjusted anything .. they should have identified which ever suspension or steering part which was bent ...

Hunter alignment machines are good yes but so are all the others , they all indicate which way the wheels are pointing . The variables are the operators and how they interpret the readings given and what they do to correct them if necessary .... Have you had any parts replaced yet? 👍

Have you had the underside inspected yet after the latest bashing ?
The car goes into the dealer for an inspection on Thursday. No parts have been replaced as yet. If I'm not getting the service I need from them, my next move is to an indy who has served me well over the last decade but who I didn't use for the Volvo as the incentives to service at Volvo when the car was covered by their warranty and software upgrades, breakdown service, etc made them worthwhile. I'm not so sure that is the case now.