Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70-potential electric issues

Views : 886

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2021, 22:18   #1
newvolv

Default C70-potential electric issues

Hi all,

I have just been gifted a 2004 C70. It's a black soft top.

It has a few issues, most I can hopefully have fixed. But the soft top doesn't work. I have also found the radio won't turn on. The aerial goes up but no sound. Press it again, it's says 'off'. I looked at the back and found a loose, green tipped, connector (can't seem to upload the image) there are two black connectors in the back of the radio. I found it odd that this wire was sitting there with no where to plug in. It's an SC805.

Also noticed a few more issues today, mainly the air con won't switch off and the button is stuck on recirculate air, rather than allow me to change to exterior air (if that makes sense). I also have a few warning lights on, which weirdly, were off on part of my trip. On the return leg they came back on. The car came from a family member, apparently she hit a speed bump and they all popped on and go on/off intermittently.its the engine light, anti skid and abs.

So a few issues.

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can start at looking into this. (If it helps the trip computer also seems to not work)

Now realising why it was sold to me for £1. :-)
newvolv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 11:22   #2
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Check the secondary positive cable (it's a bundle of 4-5 cables joined together which fastens to the top of the battery terminal - other end goes to the main fuse box).

Also check the earth connections. So many faults spread across different things would seem to me that it's a general power/earth fault.

Alternatively it could be the electrical part of the ignition switch - if it's displaying fault lights try slightly turning the key in either direction to see if anything changes.

Also check the abs wiring connector to the ecu to see if that is loose.

The green tipped connector could be the dolby dash centre speaker cable. If it is then you'd need an SC900 or SC901 H/U to make use of it.

The radio displaying off I think means you have to power it up (and keep it powered up) until it displays "code" and then put the correct code in. If you put the wrong code in 3 times it will go to "off" again.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R

Last edited by acshortt5; Jun 15th, 2021 at 11:27.
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 13:14   #3
newvolv

Thank you this detailed reply. I will have a look through this and knock off each of the points you suggested.

Do you know where I would find a list or image of where the earthing wires are?
newvolv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 16:35   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newvolv View Post
Just wondering if anyone knows where I can start at looking into this.
You'd be crazy to try to fix such a complex car with intermittent issues with traditional methods and guesswork so for starters I'd get a Dice and Vida software.
Full code reading and live data for all available modules, remote activation of functions to test switches and you can view if button presses are being acknowledged by the relevant module.
Workshop manual, parts catalogue, technical data.....

Use it, save a fortune then sell it on when you're done.
It won't fix the car on its own but it will massively reduce the number of wrong guesses and wild goose chases for which they'll be plenty.
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 10:53   #5
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

I'm not saying vida/dice won't be useful - it will be. But you could get a situation like my dads mk2 C70 when he bought it which had a long list of codes... all of which went away after a new battery was swapped in.

You need a bit of know-how when looking at the codes or you could end up spending vast sums replacing bits which could well be ok.

The speed bump thing to me indicates a loose/dodgy connection somewhere which vida won't be able to tell you.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 12:20   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acshortt5 View Post
You need a bit of know-how when looking at the codes or you could end up spending vast sums replacing bits which could well be ok.
I've never seen any fault code which incorrectly tells you to replace something.
That's why you use the technical data and component specs in Vida to test before replacing.
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 10:48   #7
burgess

newvolv

Try these:
Radio If the battery has been disconnected the unit will be off, press the power button and CODE apperars in the display, you will need to enter the four digit code via the function buttons. The code may be of top of the unit. Enter the code if the display lights up turn up the volume knob.

Air con stuck on re-circulate air.
Check central rotary, if pointing left to aut turn, to right air flow equal up and down.
Slider left bottom, if on Aut slide to right of 0. Set left and right temp to same positions.
Re-circulation should be off.

Engine light, anti skid and abs.
Check for debris at the sensor faces (maybe rusty flaks), this will trigger ABS and that will trigger engine light.
burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 11:01   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
You'd be crazy to try to fix such a complex car with intermittent issues with traditional methods and guesswork so for starters I'd get a Dice and Vida software.
Full code reading and live data for all available modules, remote activation of functions to test switches and you can view if button presses are being acknowledged by the relevant module.
Workshop manual, parts catalogue, technical data.....

Use it, save a fortune then sell it on when you're done.
It won't fix the car on its own but it will massively reduce the number of wrong guesses and wild goose chases for which they'll be plenty.
Alas VIda is no good for the roof . The Volvo Scan Tool with appropriate memory cassette is needed ...
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 11:36   #9
burgess

Soft top not working.
It would be best to have Vida DiCE diagnostics run and DTC code delivery. Other diagnostics may not read the roof ECU memory.
The problem might be the ECU more likely one or a combination of faults/error codes for micro-switches (seven) and potentiometers (two) and maybe one of the seven motors.
Nevertheless:
if any of the four micros-witches in the storage compartment are faulty, the roof will not start to function.

Do you have the emergency roof toolkit in the glove compartment?
If not you need a 4mm hex driver tip and wide flat screwdriver
Look in the boot at the back of soft top storage there are two tabs, these will be visibly protruding if the roof has been operated manually.

Left hand is the hex socket, right the white slot,
turn that anticlockwise one full revolution you'll hear metallic click as the cover locks release.
Using 4mm hex rotate anticlockwise, keep rotating and the tension bow will begin to lift. Keep going till the two latch locking plates on the tension bow come up out of the cover until they release from the latches, at that point the tension bow can be rased by hand. Fold fully forward. Now the cover can be rased by continue rotating the 4mm hex drive. If using an electric driver proceed at low speed.
Keep boot lid at an angle to prevent contact with the cover as it rises. Once the cover is fully open, can check the function of the four micro-switches, two on the arms and two cover claw locks.
You can also check the four drainage grills and pipes are clear.

Last edited by burgess; Jun 20th, 2021 at 11:46.
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 11:43   #10
burgess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Alas VIda is no good for the roof . The Volvo Scan Tool with appropriate memory cassette is needed ...
I had the roof on mine diagnosed via Vida at the Volvo main dealer in Anglesey, their VST2000 was not working, but still gave me the fault delivery printout.