Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Faulty Aircon and water in footwell

Views : 169

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2024, 18:09   #1
alexpb22

Default Faulty Aircon and water in footwell

Hi all,

I'm going to take my car to a garage later this week but I wanted to try and get a sense of the issue from you good people so I can narrow it down a bit for them.

It's a possible chicken and the egg situation but I think I've figured a lot out. So my Aircon has been intermittently working for the the last few months. The main issue being that the temp change doesn't always happen between hot and cold and frequently the air won't flow from either the front vents (into the car) or the windscreen defrost vent. I say intermittent because it can be like this for days and then suddenly it'll all work with full heat/cooling, blowing maximum/minimum and out of the vents and will work perfectly until I next use the car.

The water issue is that I recently discovered a load of water in the driver and rear passenger footwell and I mean a lot. I pulled the carpets back hoovered out most of it and after googling this also checked the Aircon drain which seems fine to me. I blew air down it just in case but it looked fine.

My suspicion is that because the Aircon doesn't always come out of the vents in the car, it has nowhere to go so is condensing somewhere in the car and then leaking out in the footwell. I think if I got the Aircon blower direction change fixed so that it always came out of the vents then the water issue would be resolved.

I just wondered if anyone had any sense of which parts I should direct the garage to? They wanted to re-gas and check for leaks but as this problem is intermittent and often works completely as it should, I don't think it's a regassing issue. I really think that because the air has nowhere to escape in the car that it's pooling under the seat.

Furthermore because I get heat/cold intermittently and the blower works fine intermittently I feel like it's a sensor or something that may be off.

Any help and I would be really grateful, I'm not mechanically minded at all but I do try to educate myself as much as possible so bear with me.

Volvo Estate Diesel Automatic 2.0 '09-'10

Last edited by alexpb22; Mar 4th, 2024 at 18:14. Reason: Added car details
alexpb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 18:44   #2
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Do you also have a sun roof? The drains for these also block and can cause the water issue.
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 19:32   #3
alexpb22

I don't have a sunroof, sorry I should have said that as I'm aware of the drains. I don't think the Aircon drain is blocked as I checked it but I think it's condensing in the car as it's not coming out of any vents.
alexpb22 is offline   Reply With Quote