Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2016 V60 D4 Smoke from engine bay

Views : 1224

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2024, 10:19   #11
RDesign4Life
Master Member

I thought the EGR hose was the concertina pipe that connects to the take-off on the exhaust side and connects to the EGR valve which in turn controls how much filth is fed back into the inlet manifold.

Maybe your video is going too far down into the engine bay? Unless of course you have a blown exhaust upstream of EGR take-off.

Balance of probabilities says it may be higher up though. Investigate around the flange where the concertina hose fitting connects to the the exhaust side and look for soot markings. The reason the pipe is a concertina design is because of the vibration energy it is exposed to as a relatively short hose so the flexibility is intended to prevent stress failures resulting in leaks. Mine failed right at the union with the exhaust. I also used an endoscope to capture images which showed soot markings from the leak location (this is near the top of the engine behind the heat shield which you can see in the photos...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leak2.jpg (72.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg leak1.jpg (53.5 KB, 19 views)
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 20:50   #12
samjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDesign4Life View Post
I thought the EGR hose was the concertina pipe that connects to the take-off on the exhaust side and connects to the EGR valve which in turn controls how much filth is fed back into the inlet manifold.

Maybe your video is going too far down into the engine bay? Unless of course you have a blown exhaust upstream of EGR take-off.

Balance of probabilities says it may be higher up though. Investigate around the flange where the concertina hose fitting connects to the the exhaust side and look for soot markings. The reason the pipe is a concertina design is because of the vibration energy it is exposed to as a relatively short hose so the flexibility is intended to prevent stress failures resulting in leaks. Mine failed right at the union with the exhaust. I also used an endoscope to capture images which showed soot markings from the leak location (this is near the top of the engine behind the heat shield which you can see in the photos...
I'm definitely not a mechanic, but I think our photos are showing the same part, just from opposite sides. Am I right in thinking you sent the endoscope down from the top of the engine?

In picture 1 that I posted I'm pretty sure that's the heat shield at the top middle of the photo.

I sent mine through the front of the engine going back. In the video I've kept the camera upright so up is up and down is down if that makes sense. You can see at the 9 second mark - https://youtu.be/eW-IoAdNwvo?si=TaOUixu0nkGx4QqG&t=9 - the concertina section of the pipe that connects to the EGR near the front of the engine, then the camera follows the pipe back through the engine

I think what you can see in your photos is the other side of the fitting, and if I went down from the top you would see a similar view to your photo.

I think it looks like maybe there is some exhaust damage on the pipe, but again, I'm not a mechanic!
samjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 10:05   #13
samjay

An Update... So I took the car to the mechanic and he cleaned up all the spilled oil mess around the DPF and rocker cover which I thought was causing the smoke when the DPF was getting really hot as it regenerated. Then we would see if any more appeared. He said rocker cover seal looked good.

Unfortunately after driving 100 miles and getting off the motorway I smelled burning oil again. Stopped the car and there was smoke coming from the back right of the engine bay again. Smelled fresh.

Checked it out with the endoscope camera behind the blue circled part in the picture (to the right of the rocker cover), under the air pipe and looks like fresh oil has leaked since the old oil was cleaned up.

I also noticed in the red circled picture there appears to be something which I think may be red sealer/cement, which leads me to think this may have been an issue before, but can't be 100% sure.

Anyone know what part of the engine this is called?

Also the EGR pipe which is causing fumes in the cabin definitely need's replacing, but want to see if I can fix the oil before I go any further.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9242 copy.jpg (286.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9240 copy.jpg (323.0 KB, 27 views)
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 12:10   #14
RDesign4Life
Master Member

A very small amount of oil goes a long way in an engine bay. What looks to you like a major leak may be tiny and insignificant. A mechanic once told me that unless a car is leaving oil on the ground then it's not worth worrying about.

Personally I would prioritise the EGR hose leaking smoke over a small oil leak.

You'd need a sh1t load of oil dripping directly onto an exhaust manifold to create smoke that way.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 13:34   #15
samjay

Quote:
A very small amount of oil goes a long way in an engine bay. What looks to you like a major leak may be tiny and insignificant. A mechanic once told me that unless a car is leaving oil on the ground then it's not worth worrying about.

Personally I would prioritise the EGR hose leaking smoke over a small oil leak.

You'd need a sh1t load of oil dripping directly onto an exhaust manifold to create smoke that way.
The smoke is coming from the oil leaking onto the exhaust from the engine and not the EGR hose. Smoke still comes even when the engine is off. There’s a fair bit of oil leaking out, and will be all over the floor soon if it carries on this way.

Only symptom from egr hose is a slight smell in the cabin
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 14:01   #16
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Well if you're sure crack on but the first vid you posted looks exactly like the EGR hose leak I had and the photo you've posted with the blue elipse shows the the short breather pipe connection to the charge air hose intake which commonly leaks small amounts of oil. I can't see any photos of a big oil leak. Is the oil pooling in the undertray?
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 15:59   #17
samjay

Quote:
Well if you're sure crack on but the first vid you posted looks exactly like the EGR hose leak I had and the photo you've posted with the blue elipse shows the the short breather pipe connection to the charge air hose intake which commonly leaks small amounts of oil. I can't see any photos of a big oil leak. Is the oil pooling in the undertray?
Unfortunately even though the smoke is coming from the same place as your video, I'm certain it's a different issue as there is still smoke when the engine is switched off, and carries on for about 5-10 minutes until it cools down.

In your video you posted on youtube, I believe you posted a comment saying that the smoke stops when the engine is switched off.

The oil is leaking onto the top of the EGR pipe from above, so can't be coming out of the egr pipe.

Wish it was as simple as replacing the EGR pipe but seems like a pretty bad oil leak which is then dripping onto the exhaust and all the bits inbetween, which is why i'm trying to figure out what the part that I have circled in the images is
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 19:44   #18
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

The part you have circled in red is the cam shaft gear cover, it is sealed to the top of the cylinder head. Any leak from this could be the source of your oil leak however from your picture it would have to be leaking at the back and this should be fairly evident. If that is the case and it looks as if it has already been re sealed perhaps when the cam cover was done, the surfaces of both the cover and the head need to be checked and a quality sealant used.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux

Last edited by GrahamBrown1; Mar 2nd, 2024 at 19:52.
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2024, 22:30   #19
treidlia

Hi
No idea if it helps, but here’s my story
My 2013 v60 D4 5cyl had exhaust fumes from back of engine.

Mounting bolt for attaching exhaust to body had been lost (sheared / opened.) this had occurred at attachment point to subframe fairly far forward but behind dpf.
Result exhaust and dpf ‘hanging’ off manifold. Male pipe on dpf cracked. Mounting point of dpf to maifod strained, including external giant ‘hose clip’
Then when dpf pressure built up, back pressure on fumes and leak..

Remove dpf. Clean dpf. Weld pipe crack closed up nicely., but everything including female manifold and giant hose clip no longer quite round and seal not 100 %. much improved but can smell start of regen if stopped in traffic.
treidlia is offline   Reply With Quote