Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Do NOT change your engine oil

Views : 3918

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 20th, 2011, 13:39   #1
faffi
Motorcyclist

Default Do NOT change your engine oil

According to this http://www.gaskrank.tv/tv/werkstatt/...und-a-2481.htm (in German) there are oils that comes with life time warranty - and with it insurance from a big insurance company against engine damage. People have had their oil in their engine for up to 10 years and 500,000 km without any engine issues. Even typical engine oil is, according to this story, easily good enough for 100,000 km.
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 14:00   #2
noscralc

Quote:
Originally Posted by faffi View Post
According to this http://www.gaskrank.tv/tv/werkstatt/...und-a-2481.htm (in German) there are oils that comes with life time warranty - and with it insurance from a big insurance company against engine damage. People have had their oil in their engine for up to 10 years and 500,000 km without any engine issues. Even typical engine oil is, according to this story, easily good enough for 100,000 km.
could'nt understand a word!
noscralc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noscralc For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 14:06   #3
faffi
Motorcyclist

Is this better? http://www.youtube.com/v/nUY-H3vWhzY%26hl

Anyway, the brief summary I put up just about covers it - that we change oil way too frequently. The reason is for the garage to make money, the car importer and manufacturer makes money and the oil companies make money. The garage also get to sell you other stuff when the car is already in their shop. Good for business, bad for your wallet and the environment. Apparently.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faffi For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 14:40   #4
Tiger1057
VOC Member

That would not surprise me in the least but am I going to test the theory?
No. Lol
Tiger1057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 15:24   #5
VenomS40
08 Volvo S40 SE Sport R-D

Cant beat a regular oil change... if it sets my mind to rest and I'm happy that the engine wont go pop then I'd rather stick to regular oil change.

Fell free to try it yourself though

Volvo S40 SE Sport R-Design + Winter Pack
VenomS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VenomS40 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 15:35   #6
david philips
panic captain manwaring ?

Default Cant beat a regular oil change

agree regular oil changes are needed as are oil filter changes, i know there are long life oils that are great but as far as i am concerned oils are far cheaper than engines.
david philips is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to david philips For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 15:44   #7
7050man
Master Member

If changing oil it is vital that manufactures grade, type and spec are adhered to.

If any engine failure and hence claim are made, the oil will be investigated and if wrong, then no comeback.

I always supply oil for my car even though an authorised Volvo dealer services the car. They allways check the oil I supply though.

I should add that i have a friend who had 98 plate V70 2.5. he didn't change the oil for tow or three serviuce intervals and apart from topping up, had no problems.

I have to say though that I would never have bought the car from him !
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 7050man For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 16:54   #8
pookie
Premier Member

Always remember:- Oil is cheaper than metal.

Salut!

Pookie
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 17:46   #9
faffi
Motorcyclist

Not sure how it is with cars, but British motorcyclists seems to be the most anal there is when it comes to changing oils, like every 1000-1500 miles. And rarely do I read about so many damaged engines as in Brit forums

I think it depends on the use how often the oil needs replacing. If you only ride long distance under moderate load and rpm, the oil will probably last 10 to 20 times longer than if you only do short-hop inner city driving where the engine never reach operating temps.

Personally, I cange the oil in my car once per year, at around 10,000 miles. I also replace it once per year on my motorcycles, at around half that. Bikes are harder on their oils since the engine oil also lubricate the gearbox and clutch, but OTOH I never commute with them, only long distance. So it evens out, I reckon.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 18:15   #10
ncarnall

I once owned a Renault Espace thing. I didn't care for it much but the then other half loved it. After about 6 years I changed the oil and filter only because I was driving to south of France in it. I then ran it for another 3 years only topping oil up every other month as it had a small oil leak. Just a drip or two when parked. Never had any breakdowns or mechanical issues at all until the Alternator went. Then sold it on Ebay as spare or repair. And only because half the electrical parts didn't work. The Engine was fine, no knocks or bangs and definitely no smoke.

But then I used to change my bike oil every 3k, but then that did rev unto 13k and I loved it:-)

Hated the Espace, but it just wouldn't die. Was a happy day when it went though.
ncarnall is offline   Reply With Quote