Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to get rid off tail gaiters - your methods?

Views : 3679

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 28th, 2017, 20:25   #1
DSK
C70 T5

Default How to get rid off tail gaiters - your methods?

Now that I'm using my older cars which are genuinely not replaceable as daily drivers having tried new cars (Astra GTC and Merc E350) and just hating them, I'm more concerned with retarded tail gaiters than ever before. Some deliberately tail gate and others are just dumb and drive too close through bad habit.

Last week, as the traffic lights ahead turned amber and red (M25/A308), I slowed on a fast approach where most idiots try and make it knowing they will end up running a red. The car behind driven by a woman almost smashed into me as she wanted to run the lights and no doubt expected me to do so as well. I just heard locking brakes, partially locking tyres and as I looked back, I saw the offender swerve out of control into the next lane missing me by sheer luck, only to then drive through red lights, cutting up traffic and almost causing a t-bone accident with cars that just set off on their green light.

Even on the superbike, despite keeping an even greater distance, some drivers including the Audi and BMW brigade appreciate why I am keeping my distance for a reason and I am grateful but, on the other hand its very irritating to see the idiot drivers riding the bikes back wheel despite traffic conditions. All it will take is a lapse in concentration on their part such as fiddling with the stereo or phone etc and I could be in a bad place.

Without being childish and slamming on the brakes or flooring it into the horizon, I have had great success in running a Nextbase 402G dash camera in the rear window. Due to its size, its easily visible and people hate being on camera and do drop way back and/or move lanes.

What methods (non childish) do fellow members use that they find effective in getting other motorists off their tail?

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 20:39   #2
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Stamp on the brakes hard a couple of times - they soon back off
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2017, 20:55   #3
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

I just slow down then wait fir them to fly past, then at the next set of lights or heavy traffic catch them up.

V70 P2 facelift D5 6sp manual E4 Sport SE Ocean Race Blue pearl (2005) 97k, standard.
SIAMBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SIAMBLUE For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2017, 21:43   #4
canis
Non Fragile

Friday night, on my way to collect a telephone ordered curry, there is a point where the road crosses the motorway. Thick with lanes and traffic lights, for some reason drivers accumulate in the outside lane waiting for the lights to change. Not sure why they do this, but I tend to sneak into the nearside line and crawl to the lights to accellerate away as they change. Because I've got a speed advantage against the cars starting from stationary, I can then swing into the offside lane for the right turn 200yds further. It's a bit rude, but not illegal.

So friday night, I did the same except the lights had already changed and the offside traffic was already moving, led by a large dark 4x4 of some sort. I'm going to need to get into that lane, so gunned it to 45mph (40 limit) but wasn't able to get in front safely, so settled for a gap appearing between the 4x4 and the car following it.

At this point I checked the mirror, and was being tailgated. I'm at 45mph, I am not going to go any faster, besides if I'm to get in lane for the right turn I want then I'd better get on with it because there's only about 100yds remaining. So I pulled in behind the 4x4, indicating properly and began decellerating gently back to a more acceptable speed.

With me out of his way, the car which was behind me suddenly roared past in an attempt to get in front of me and the 4x4 just ahead of the junction, where I will be turning right. The lights were green but his progress was made difficult by a car, now in front of him, travelling much slower. I noticed a moment of indecision, but he decided to go for it, threw on a right signal and weaved in front of the 4x4 and sped through the lights.

I'm now ready to make my right turn, but had to laugh as all of a sudden the flickering flip-flop blue lights shone from the 4x4. The speeder pulled over inappropriately quickly causing everyone an obstruction, including the car he'd just sped past. I took my right turn and headed for the curry place.

Busted! Haha!

Although I was only a few minutes, they were both gone by the time I returned on the journey home. But it was good to see law enforcement enforcing the law for a change.I know it's wrong of me, but it made my day!

The curry was delicious.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2017, 08:10   #5
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

I hate tailgaters with a passion, I have tried everything braking hard, doesn't work they just tailgate you again, speeding up again doesn't work and then your at risk of breaking the law. I do absolutley nothing now and just let them sit there and watch them get worked up.

I mainly drive a vw transporter, a van which on a single carriageway road is limited to 50mph by law then dual carriageway is 60mph. Many people don't know this and after receiving torrents of abuse for traveling 50mph on the A9 in Scotland where there are 100 miles of average cameras I decided to put a big sticker on the back door explaining speed limits for vans. Quite a few vans have them now.

This has helped a little but I still get abuse, a loverly man gave me various jestures whilst over taking me on the a68 in a van at what was probably 70mph on a single carriageway. Conclusion is you won't stop them, there idiots and they will get what comes to them eventually.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2017, 08:29   #6
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

Something went wrong there, sorry
Old May 29th, 2017, 08:55   #7
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Stamp on the brakes hard a couple of times - they soon back off
If the concern about tailgaters is that they might be inattentive/incompetent enough to run into the back of you when you brake isn't stamping on the brakes just going to precipitate the problem, especially if they can see past you to an empty road so there is no reason to expect you to brake?
I try to keep a good gap on the car in front of me so I don't have to do any sudden maneuvers or braking then drive as normal, if they're stupid enough to tailgate any 'tricks' to get them to back off will only have a short term effect.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2017, 10:18   #8
Considered1
Premier Member

I give them a squirt of my headlight washers, my car is just the right height to ensure it hits their windscreen., once is usually enough,
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2017, 10:33   #9
owyn
Premier Member

Its not satisfying or anything like that but just getting out of the way when you can is my best tactic.

I tend not to get tailgated that much for whatever reason but if I am then I'd rather not be anywhere near them when they have a crash.
owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owyn For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2017, 10:35   #10
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

I must admit I hate tail gaiters, having been hit by one when I had to brake suddenly because a child ran in to the road, only good things to come out of it were the child was OK and I was driving a company 110 land rover with towbar that completely destroyed the front of his car. but the company paper work went on for weeks.

So now I just slow down when I am tail gated, especially on the M1 in the road works which are restricted to 50mph and the biggest culprits are HGV's that just want to carry on at 56mph regardless.
XC70Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC70Bob For This Useful Post: