Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help needed again-calipers-radiator

Views : 798

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2005, 11:27   #1
dan_burdock

Default Help needed again-calipers-radiator

Just had my T5R serviced at my local garage, who have informed me a front caliper has ceased, I also need two new pads for the front. And the radiator leeks + all the tyres are illegal. At the moment I am struggling to keep the car on the road. Does anyone do repairs! on calipers, radiators. What about recon, or should I not go there. Can anyone recommend a budget version!

Thanks in advance Dan
dan_burdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 11:57   #2
mraldonnelly

Default RE: Help needed again-calipers-radiator

Hi Dan,

Where are you? It may be possible to repair the caliper but you're probably as well off replacing it to be honest. The piston and slider boots and seal kits cost near £30 alone and an exchange caliper can be had for not a huge amount more. Some would recommend replacing both at once. I can replace the calipers and pads for you if you can't do it yourself but obviously it depends on your location.

Where's the leak in the radiator? Again, a repair may be possible or you may be able to get away with Radweld or something similar. However, Radweld and similar products can cause blockages elsewhere in the cooling system.

Nordic should be able to give you a good price on a replacement radiator.

I've not done an 850 radiator before but should imagine it to be fairly straight forward and would be more than happy to assist here too.

Regards

Andy
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 12:26   #3
dan_burdock

I am in sheffield in south yorkshire.

Dan
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 14:35   #4
mraldonnelly

Hi Dan,

I'm in Liverpool. I'm guessing you can't travel over here given the fact that the brakes need doing.

If you wanted me to assist with the brakes I am happy to trave over to you but the next weekend I'm available is the weekend after Easter.

If you can wait 'til then I have no problem coming over.

How bad is the radiator leak? If very slow then you will get away with just keeping an eye on the coolant level.

Regards

Andy
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 16:15   #5
sholtby
Premier Member

I wouldnt have thought it would be too difficult to 'unseize' the brakes. Usually it just needs some grease on the sliders.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 17:01   #6
dan_burdock

I have booked it back in at the local garage, they have decided, seem as I have ordered 4 tyres of them they will have a look at the caliper. The radiator not too bad, just have to top it up every time I go anywhere.
Dan
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 21:30   #7
SandyGBR

4 new tyres - expensive stuff! I sold my T5 last week but needed 2 tyres for MOT before I sold it. I didn't want to put new ones on just to sell the car so part worns seemed the way to go. Had a ring around Liverpool and couldn't find the size, 225/45/17/Y. Eventually found a place called Top Gear Tyres on Rossmore Industrial estate in Ellesmere Port, they had stacks. I got 2*P6000 fitted for £40 each, each with 6mm of tread. I had a good look at them before they put them on, they were like new. I know you hear some horror stories about part worns but I couldn't fault them. Costco is cheap if you want new ones but they only have Michelin or one other weird brand.

I used a tin of Radweld in my T5 with no problem, no more leaks.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 09:50   #8
liuleichan
Premier Member

>I used a tin of Radweld in my T5 with no problem, no more
>leaks.

If you're gonna keep the car, or have any mechanical sympathy you won't touch the stuff with a barge pole.

Otherwise, watch out for blocked waterways, other problems with the radiator, or heater matrix over time.
liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote