Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Real world mpg - B4

Views : 6710

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 21:06   #1
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

Default Real world mpg - B4

Would appreciate any real world mpg figures from XC40 B4 owners.

I have just test driven one and have to admit I am very impressed, and it is under consideration as the next motor.

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 21:21   #2
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

The combined figure given is 40 mpg.

As I don't have one but do know what's physically possible the golden rule is 22% the official figures.

Here's my estimate

Steady 60 mph clear road 44 mpg

Normal 70 mph clear road 36 mpg

Urban two figures, normal time 25 rush hour 21 mpg. This might not work and could be as good as 30 over 28 if the battery power assists, I forgot that hybrids work best at urban use. I also haven't costed for depleted battery in the two motorway figures so they could drop further.

Last edited by SnineT; Nov 2nd, 2022 at 21:23.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 09:58   #3
Haldex
Premier Member

My overall average is 36mpg over 12K mostly highway miles. We use the car for out of town longer trips - so almost zero urban driving. Expect 38-42mpg on B roads, and 40+ in urban - what SnineT said, mild hybrids really excel in stop and go driving - and from my experience also in uphill/downhill type driving (I was getting 43mpg on highways in Austria this spring..). For safety reasons (hydraulic braking) the engine kicks in on serious declines (eg. downhill driving in the Alps..) so mpg is not as high. I use 98 in it even though it can take 95 - but 95 in France is not that significantly cheaper + it is diluted by 10% Ethanol (vs. 5% in 98) - but I’d expect same numbers on either 95 or 98.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 20:58   #4
Caradoc1
Caradoc1

My B4 with AWD is returning 39.2 mpg average with anything up to 44 mpg on longer distances. Car has covered just over 10,000 miles.
Caradoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caradoc1 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 21:07   #5
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

I meant to say 22% off of the official figures earlier.

Hybrid is very difficult to call simply due to how often the battery is able to assist, I would say to use Haldex and Caradoc's figures as reasonably what you should expect.
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 22:37   #6
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

Thanks folks.
We have got to the stage/age where we are doing a lot more short journeys these days, which we all know is not good for diesels.
I love my V90, but somewhat reluctantly, it is time for a change.
Unless someone will volunteer to slap a petrol engine in it for me!

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 23:10   #7
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyfrog View Post
Thanks folks.
We have got to the stage/age where we are doing a lot more short journeys these days, which we all know is not good for diesels.
I love my V90, but somewhat reluctantly, it is time for a change.
Unless someone will volunteer to slap a petrol engine in it for me!
Why not go for a V90 instead, the XC40 is a nice car but I remember sitting in one in the dealers about 2.5 years ago when the S90 urge became a force of reckoning to me thinking it was like any other small suv, the V90 exudes a presence and a class imo, maybe pm S90 the user on here he's just px'd a good spec S90 in and might be able to point you towards it before it goes back on sale, reading S90 I'd say the car has been Sunday polished regularly.
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 10:46   #8
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
..thinking it was like any other small suv
C'mon, you can call XC40 anything but generic Many people will argue that it has more "character" than its larger siblings.

Interestingly, I cross-shopped the XC40 with a V60CC (we need a large hatchback/wagon type with some extra clearance and AWD..) Test-drove both on several occasions - and in the end realized that with XC40 we get a better package and more space - for less $$.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 11:08   #9
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
C'mon, you can call XC40 anything but generic Many people will argue that it has more "character" than its larger siblings.

Interestingly, I cross-shopped the XC40 with a V60CC (we need a large hatchback/wagon type with some extra clearance and AWD..) Test-drove both on several occasions - and in the end realized that with XC40 we get a better package and more space - for less $$.

Sorry no offence intended, what I really meant was the S & V's have such a great overall experience to them he should considered staying in the club rather than go Tonka, an XC60 or XC90 mind you makes this a closer run thing.

It kinda depends on what use it's going to have, if they just want an upmarket shopping trolley then an XC40 will excel, I'm bias cos I've always been a big car guy anyway, both big or small vehicles have their own strengths it's just if he's used to a V90 he's gonna feel like there has been cutbacks in what he's used to not meaning any less quality as such.

Last edited by SnineT; Nov 4th, 2022 at 11:12.
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 11:13   #10
Haldex
Premier Member

No offence, ofcourse

And no argument about S/V cars presence/experience. It would be equivalent to comparing a C and S class Benz. But hence the difference in price.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
The Following User Says Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post: