Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Potential 850T5 estate owner seeks advice

Views : 1381

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 22:33   #1
FWDKurt

Default Potential 850T5 estate owner seeks advice

Hi - I'm new to Volvos (and this forum) and would appreciate some advice. Please bear with me as I'm sure some of my questions are common ones. I've tried using the search facility or looking for an FAQ but without success.My queries are as follows:

1. Can ANY 850 T5 estate be converted to a 7 seater easily?

2. Do T5s require special (expensive) tow bars or will any 850 bar fit? My current car, a BMW e34 M5, needs a posh OE towbar at great expense.

3. Are there any particular weak points with these cars that I should be aware of when looking? I've read the site's Buyers Guide, which doesn't suggest anything serious, but would owners disagree or add to it?

4. Was a/c or ecc fitted to all T5s?

5. Does anyone have a good (manual) one for sale?

Thanks for your patience

Kurt
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 09:19   #2
Mike Smith
Master Member

Default RE: Potential 850T5 estate owner seeks advice

Kurt
Welcome to the forum
The 7 seat conversion can be fitted, you sometimes see them on Ebay, you wont need an expensive T5 towbar, as an ordinary one will be ok, the weak points on the 850 series are the A/C systems, in particular the evaporator that perishes inside the cabin, major expensive repair bills here!
There will be a few more pointers that will be hopefully posted up here by the other guys.
Good Luck with you quest

Regards
Mike
'96 GLT Auto Estate

For Every Problem - There is a Solution, Hopefully!
Mike Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 09:53   #3
sarge
Master Member

>4. Was a/c or ecc fitted to all T5s?

I don't think so. It certainly wasn't standard on all x70 T5s; As far as I'm aware it was only standard on the CD spec. though it could be had as a factory fit option on all models.

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 19:05   #4
FWDKurt

Thanks Mike and Sarge - useful information. My M5 is now up for sale on Autotrader so any further tips on T5 ownership gratefully received!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 19:30   #5
sholtby
Premier Member

I doubt I'll sell my T5 for a long time but an E34 M5 is one of only a few cars that has had me tempted to change. Whats the reason for selling the M5? You need more space I presume if you are wanting an estate?
I think you will be quite impressed with the performance of a T5. I've driven a couple of 3.6 M5s and although the performance (and sound!) is awsome in the higher rev range I felt it was rather lacking below 4k revs. The T5 is better in this respect.
Overall running costs should be quite a bit cheaper also.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 08:08   #6
FWDKurt

Hi Simon,

Yes - space is my main motivation for selling. I need a vehicle that's capable of carrying 7 people from time to time, and the idea of an MPV makes my skin crawl! Against the M5, a T5 would also make a better towcar / support vehicle for my kitcar which I intend to use for sprints. I'm also hoping to release some cash...

The M5 is a wonderful car. I've had mine for 3 years and it's the 3.8 which has more torque than the 3.6 you've tried (221 lbft at 1800rpm and 296 at 4750!). It's not a cheap car to maintain if done correctly - I have the bills to prove it - but the rewards are fantastic. It's still one of the best RWD chassis available, and the engine note as you say is amazing. I'll miss it!

A T5 appeals not only for practical reasons but also because it's pretty fast, discreet, and different. It will be my first 5-cylinder car and I've always liked the noise they make too.

Thanks for your interest

Kurt
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 20:54   #7
sholtby
Premier Member

Kurt,

Are there any things to look out for when buying an M5? I think the 3.8's have adjustable 'Nuremberg' suspension which is prone to failure and replacement is about £1k a corner isnt it? Does it have the variable valve timming 'Vanos' system. Again I've heard this can fail quite frequently and is about £1.5k to fix but this may only be on the M3 evos.
Where abouts do you live? There are several M5s on Autotrader, I'm trying to work out which one is yours.
You should be able to get a good 850 T5 for about £3k. I'd try and get one with leather and not just aircon but climate control. As has been said the evaporators can fail which is expensive to put right.
For the money you should get for the M5 you may want to look at a V70. There is nothing wrong with an 850 but obviously a newer car can be more reliable. The V70 has a slightly stronger engine.
After you get the car I'd run it fro a few months to check everything is OK and then think about getting it chipped. It makes a significant difference to the performance.

Simon
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 21:37   #8
elvispriceley

Hi Kurt,

Tried to put a post on earlier today but it got lost in cyber space?. Any way check this out on E-bay, just type this in the search for a brand new set of rear facing seats: 4534972429.
I have owned a 96 T5 estate for nearly 2 years, bought privatley, one expensive thing to look for if it has'nt already been done is the rear main crankshaft oil seal, there is a small cut out in the bell housing where the gearbox joins the engine and this is usually where it leaks. I paid £350 to my independant guy who said it was a complete B1-TCH to do, other than that as mentioned aircon may need gasing. Obviously you can negotiate price on all these things as and when you find what you want.
Good luck

Graham
elvispriceley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 00:49   #9
FWDKurt

Hi Graham - thanks for the info. I've added the seats to my watch list - there's also a used set for about £200. I'll certainly look out for oil leaks and air-con problems when viewing cars - I hope to look at one this weekend locally.

Simon - you're right about the M5 suspension. It's called Nurburgring, and just 4 shockers fitted will cost around £3K!! I chose to change mine for a high quality conventional (non electronic) setup about 18 months ago. It's made by Schnitzer, and IMO it's better than the orignial. Not much cheaper mind!

My M5's in NE England, for sale at £6495. It's blue, and has just had a new clutch and coincidentally a rear crankshaft oil seal. The whole job cost about the same as the £350 Graham spent, so M5s aren't always that expensive...

Cheers

Kurt
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 07:59   #10
sholtby
Premier Member

Hi Kurt,

I've worked out which M5 is yours in the Autotrader. You must live just down the road from me, I'm in Richmond.
I hope I dont bump into you until you've sold that M5 as I'd be tempted to buy it!
Good luck searching for a Volvo.

Simon