Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Number plate lights on when car is off

Views : 521

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2020, 20:52   #1
Ezz

Default Number plate lights on when car is off

Hello.

My xc90 2005 d5 is being odd. Ages ago i had a message on the dash saying i need to check the brake lights. Normally this means a bulb is out. After checking all bulbs i couldn't find any that were not working.

Car had mot and passed. Garage said about the message, but all bulbs were working so must be a fault else where. Maybe a relay. I left it at that.

I have just seen tonight that when the car is parked up, the number plate lights on the boot are slighly on. Not enough to do there job but the is a glow from them. Are these 2 things connected. If not, what the hell is going on.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers
Dave
Ezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 21:39   #2
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

If the numberplate lamps are LED replacements, they may be round the wrong way.

Try taking them out and reversing how they are inserted and see what happens.

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 07:07   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezz View Post
My xc90 2005 d5 is being odd. Ages ago i had a message on the dash saying i need to check the brake lights. Normally this means a bulb is out. After checking all bulbs i couldn't find any that were not working.

Car had mot and passed. Garage said about the message, but all bulbs were working so must be a fault else where. Maybe a relay. I left it at that.

I have just seen tonight that when the car is parked up, the number plate lights on the boot are slighly on. Not enough to do there job but the is a glow from them. Are these 2 things connected. If not, what the hell is going on.
I've also had Tail Lamp bulb failure warnings and found no bulbs that were not working.
Happened more and more frequently and then I got stuck in to analyse the fault.
I found the reason: a Tail Lamp bulb was faulty. Exactly what the message said.

What happens is that a small break in the filament occurs that sometimes separates and stops the bulb working, and then when it cools down it works again. And vibration / road bumps / heat can cause it to separate when driving. The failure detection circuitry correctly detects and reports the fault, but when you stop and check the lamps, often then the filament rejoins and you cannot tell which it is.
I diagnosed mine by tapping each bulb until I found the one that went off when I tapped it.

So your very first step to the brake lamp failure warning is: fit 2 x new bulbs.

Don't even bother trying to determine which bulb is faulty.
The bulbs cost very little. Just fit 2 x new bulbs.

This may also resolve the number plate lamp issue as well, as the REM module that switches the bulbs on and off can do some funny things with residual voltage when one of the bulbs isn't working.

Try and report back.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 10:24   #4
Ezz

Hi.

The number plate lights are led and i just tried swapping them around. They are still on.

When i first got the brake light fault message, i did buy 2 bew bulbs. I got led lights but message persisted. I ended up with the normal bulbs back in position. And the led bulbs in the boot.

I shall try again at the weekend when i have someone to press on the brake pedel

I don't know if this means anything but.. the message appears every time i press the brake pedel.
We went on holiday in august and so we had a long drive. When we were on the motorway, if i needed to brake, sometimes the message would not appear. 🤔
Ezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 16:56   #5
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

The brake light error message is due to the LED brake lamps, which are much higher resistance than incandescent lamps and do not draw enough current to satisfy the lamp check circuit in the car which "thinks" a lamp is blown.

One fix is to install suitable resistors in parallel with the LED lamps to fool the car into "thinking" it has the proper lamps in place.

This is covered extensively elsewhere on the forum, so I won't spell it out - have a search for LED Brake Lights.

You will prob get loads of "advice" telling you not to do it but it's your car and your money.

Another fix is to put proper Volvo long life lamps in the brake lights... (This may well resolve the numberplate lamps issue too)

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 17:15   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

I would just fit standard bulbs and if the problem goes away, you know it was the LEDs causing the problem.

The fact that the LED bulbs light whichever way they're installed suggest they're faulty anyway given that they're diodes so should only allow current one way.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 19:44   #7
Moose Test
Master Member

I have to agree with Swiss and Cheshire on this. You should replace both the brake lights and the number plate lights with new, incandescent bulbs and see where you are, as a baseline. You've made too many independent exchanges from original equipment to be able to isolate the fault.

Swiss could well be correct with regards to the original problem, with intermittent filament breaks but then you possibly masked that with the same error message but different cause by using LED bulbs without the appropriate resistor load.

A clean slate would be my approach, re-introducing (correct) LED bulbs then if you wish.

As for the number plate light specifically, I guess the LED bulb could have failed but I think it's also likely that they are manufactured with two or more LED chips in an anti-parallel configuration exactly so that it doesn't matter which way around a user fits them.