Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MOT test passed.

Views : 2058

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2019, 16:27   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyldee View Post
Oil changed at last MoT using synthetic. Air filter approx. 1000 miles. Checked Government "transition period" for the 1993 and she still failed those marginal differences. Comment from testing station was basically "BLUE SMOKE IS AN INSTANT FAIL" Lambda sensor changed Dec. 2016

Heartbreaking but just how much do you keep throwing at the problem when the outcome is uncertain? Worn tyres, joints, blowing exhausts are all curable but when a motor runs sweet but the guy with the whip hand says NO, I feel that sadly it is time to let go. I would hate to think that she is to be crushed. I hope I can find a sympathetic breaker who can pas on so many good bits to fellow enthusiasts.
Add 0.5L synthetic ATF to the engine oil, run it a few days then do an oil/filter change using 10W40 SEMI-synthetic, not the el-cheapo carp from ECP (Triple QX - if that's what's in it, no wonder it's smoking!) but a reasonable quality oil.

Before adding your fresh 10W40 Semi-synthetic oil, add 1L of synthetic ATF then top up to the correct level with your fresh 10W40 oil. Also check the PCV system, i know it's different on the 3.0 but it can still cause problems. Also clean out the throttle body with carb & air intake cleaner including the AICV.

Check and if necessary, renew the air filter element, pull the fuse that provides the memory to the fuel ECU and refit after a few minutes.

Add some Cataclean to your fuel tank and take it for an Italian tune-up. Worth spending that small amount on it then going to the garage, asking the tester to put the gas analyser on manual and stick the hose up the tailpipes to see if it's cured - it should be.

What brand of synthetic engine oilo and what grade did you use last time?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 17:04   #22
Ian21401
Premier Member

Hoping that you manage to sort this. I would try what Dave has suggested. I’ve read elsewhere that these old engines don’t like fully synthetic oil, especially that stuff Dave has mentioned.
Just a thought, the lambda sensor is 3 years old. What brand is it, OE Bosch or an aftermarket? I’m not a fan of aftermarket lambda sensors.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 18:17   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Hoping that you manage to sort this. I would try what Dave has suggested. I’ve read elsewhere that these old engines don’t like fully synthetic oil, especially that stuff Dave has mentioned.
Just a thought, the lambda sensor is 3 years old. What brand is it, OE Bosch or an aftermarket? I’m not a fan of aftermarket lambda sensors.
Very good points about the Lambda sensor Ian - something i should have thought of earlier in fact.

Whether it was a Bosch or aftermarket, was it a "direct fit" with the correct plug already on it or was it the type that arrives with butt-splic crimp connectors on it? If it's the latter, bin it and fit a new one - seriously! I've seen many mixture problems caused because of those butt-splices and more than one MoT failure as a result!

Another thing, this is a quote lifted from another forum i'm on but it's a similar thread, the car in question is a 98 Merc C240, not mine i hasten to add so i can't offer further information but you'll get the gist :

"My 1998 Merc C240 also passed Friday with no advisories. They said it was the first car with no advisories at all in the whole week and that well over 50% of cars they had tested had failed on one thing or another!

It just goes to confirm again that a well maintained older car does not need to be scrapped just because it might have been built to an older standard! "

Given my experience a few years back when Triple QX oil made 3 known good engines suddenly very smoky, if you've used that then follow what i suggested above - you'll be surprised at the improvements!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2019, 20:01   #24
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyldee View Post

Heartbreaking but just how much do you keep throwing at the problem when the outcome is uncertain? Worn tyres, joints, blowing exhausts are all curable but when a motor runs sweet but the guy with the whip hand says NO, I feel that sadly it is time to let go. I would hate to think that she is to be crushed. I hope I can find a sympathetic breaker who can pas on so many good bits to fellow enthusiasts.
I would be surprised if it were anything too serious.

If you like the car so much, you could advertise it on here for repairs - someone may buy it and fix if it's in a condition worth saving
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 17:21   #25
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Smile Who's a Happy Bunny then?

The Exxon Valdez will sail on for another year - a clean bill of health at the marine inspector's place, sorry MoT Testing station. And I didn't have to havethe hull scraped clean of barnacles!

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 19:12   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Excellent news, congrats on the pass!

Old Jan 7th, 2020, 19:54   #27
dingov70
Master Member

Evening , I am an MOT tester & your car is subject to BET test , followed by a vehicle specific emissions test .

With the reading you have , you might be suffering from an air leak on the induction side of the engine AFTER the MAF , altering fuelling as a result .

The blue smoke would be an advisory only unless ( MOT manual 8.2.1.2.f or 8.2.1.2.g

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-insp...rcial-vehicles these can be found in section 8 & the smoke would have to be very heavy to be a failure ! , read the wording carefully , we have to
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 20:21   #28
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post
Evening , I am an MOT tester & your car is subject to BET test , followed by a vehicle specific emissions test .

With the reading you have , you might be suffering from an air leak on the induction side of the engine AFTER the MAF , altering fuelling as a result .

The blue smoke would be an advisory only unless ( MOT manual 8.2.1.2.f or 8.2.1.2.g

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-insp...rcial-vehicles these can be found in section 8 & the smoke would have to be very heavy to be a failure ! , read the wording carefully , we have to
That souds like it would be a very helpful post but who are you replying to?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 20:25   #29
bob12
bob12

Just what I was wondering but, I may have worked it out having ploughed through the pages of this thread!! Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 22:57   #30
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Just what I was wondering but, I may have worked it out having ploughed through the pages of this thread!! Bob
I have a tentative idea as well, if so the car in question has been up for sale on the forum for about a month now i think.