Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is it still worth buying diesel variants?

Views : 3207

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2022, 19:21   #11
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
And be aware that VED is coming for Electric Vehicles ?
🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳about time🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 19:21   #12
Fastpatsilents

The planned 23 % increase in fuel duty confirmed today in the budget will add another 12p to a litre of petrol and diesel, comes in in March.

Balanced by EVs paying VED from 2025.

So either way we're screwed.
Fastpatsilents is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fastpatsilents For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 02:12   #13
eagle58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpatsilents View Post
The planned 23 % increase in fuel duty confirmed today in the budget will add another 12p to a litre of petrol and diesel, comes in in March.

VED for EVs should happen in March 2023 too. They use the roads, don't have tax on their fuel and you have to be well-off to buy one so why just punish the poor sods who can't afford to upgrade their cars?
eagle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eagle58 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 09:26   #14
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I don't get why anyone would consider buying a £35k - £55k EV to save a few hundred quid on VED every year...........
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 09:30   #15
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpatsilents View Post

I didn't think it was confirmed - I think the issue is he didn't mention it at all so the assumption is in the absence of a deferral it will kick in next year. Personally I don't think it will because it will just add significantly to inflation - it's not the right time.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 09:55   #16
Lancee
Premier Member

I am not particulary eloquent but hopefully people will get the drift of what I am about to say. A no doubt contentious (perhaps distorted) perspective follows. For some the red rag is about to wave.

The powers that be "sold" us on the idea of diesel, now many (perhaps now or at one time a majority?) have it they are paying a price.

We are now being "sold" EV's while relatively new technology, therefore at the highest capital cost to us while dangling the cost saving VED and environmental carrot. Eventually "we" will pay a price.

When the majority have EV's, the costs (VED and charging) will rise.
At a given time there MAY be some short term financial saving to the individual, but in the longer term more likely an overall increase ?

I guess the deal breaker is the allegedly beneficial environmental/carbon footprint of the EV. But personally I still think the jury's out on that one.

Government raising of funds has to come from somewhere, the level cannot fall (that just results in more borrowing) and will more likely increase. That's simple housekeeping, there are bills to pay.

What I am trying to say is I guess it all cancels/balances out in the end.
What I don't like is having a perception of sneakily being manipulated.
Lancee is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 09:59   #17
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I don't get why anyone would consider buying a £35k - £55k EV to save a few hundred quid on VED every year...........

There are many examples of this throughout marketing and clothing is a prime example, you will have 3 levels, crap, good and good with an expensive label, some people have to have the label and quadruple the cost to buy in the process for the same quality garment without the label. It's the same with the charging, "I saved £800 this year by spending an extra £20k on an EV"

It's herd syndrome basically, be grateful they haven't got inside your head "yet" and made you a direct-able consumer as well, V-Power for the masses
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 10:56   #18
Fastpatsilents

Quote:
I didn't think it was confirmed - I think the issue is he didn't mention it at all so the assumption is in the absence of a deferral it will kick in next year. Personally I don't think it will because it will just add significantly to inflation - it's not the right time.
It's in the OBR forecasts and without it there's a £5 billion hole in his spreadsheet.
Fastpatsilents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 11:26   #19
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
They say‘look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves’ and if you can make enough simple savings it does add up. But then they also say ‘Penny wise and pound foolish’, no matter how cheap the fuel a new car is always going to have a high cost, both monetarily and environmentally.

But to go back to what I felt was the OP’s original question, even with the cost of diesel around here being £1.90 compared to petrol at £1.60 the mpg differential of mid 40’s for diesel compared to less than 30 for petrol should make a second hand diesel more than 10% cheaper on fuel. But the question of where one wants to go is a significant consideration.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 11:33   #20
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

It may also be worth looking at the long term availability of the two main fuels. I can imagine petrol being regulated out of common use significantly earlier than diesel. Converting heavy vehicles away from diesel is a slow process. In other words, use the fuel the trucks use.

[PS: we have four cars - all petrol ...]

----------------------------------
Great spec; great build quality.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote