Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LPG: When will people learn! (???)

Views : 11795

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2019, 16:34   #61
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR View Post
I've owned a few gas converted vehicles including a monstrous Discovery with a chip tuned 4.6 V8 ! Never had a moments bother.
My current day van, a 2000 MY Vito is on LPG and is truly superb with no issues over the last year. Its very smooth and quiet with no perceptive loss of power and, if I work it out right, I can fill up at a certain supermarket for 55p a litre !
I've saved a fortune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentepazza View Post
Our friend is right. It can be painful owning an LPG car.
Main problem is most of the LPG professional have no idea
What thy are doing.
Get a proper mechanic with experience on LPG and you’ll experience the pleasure of driving a converted LPG engine.
My 240 has got LPG since 1993. Never had any issue in 25 Years.
My 320bmw run sweet for 160k miles before selling it.
My swift 1.3 run swiftly for 100k miles before selling it.
Just need to look after the electric parts, replacing earlier than usual spark plugs, rotor, cables.
Also had a golf converted to CNG without any issue.
I think I have saved thousands over the Years.
Can’t hide conversion can be temperamental. Engine run differently depending on the weather, if it s wet or dry, if you are on a mountain or at the sea.
Never run smooth as when you feed the engine with petrol. Loss of power is noticeble. Some cars will need to adjust the valve every 20/30k miles. Others will not last over 100k miles.
It’s always a compromise running an LPG scar and probably something will go
wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_pete View Post
Thought I would chime in and have a few questions too.
For past 14 years all of my cars have been LPG converted (volvo v40 2002reg, smart forfour 55reg, BMW 328 convertible Nreg and now BMW 330 convertible 02reg).
LPG has been great (the v40 was used all over Europe, where LPG could be had for 29cents).
Reliability has not been an issue, when I had the conversion done and has only been a problem when I bought the car already converted (poor conversions). The current BMW I had converted at 118k 5 years ago and about to hit 200k. There have been no issues with the car at all.
However, as much as I love the savings (220 miles for £25) I am getting very annoyed at the profiteering by big fuel companies. Non supermarket LPG is now 65-73 a litre but a big supermarket or gas suppliers sell it at 52-55p a.litre, so why am I being ripped off by at least £4 every fillup?
Secondly, all my cars have been "normal injection" so perfectly convertable to LPG. However, as I understand new cars are now all direct injection and the conversion is not easy nor is it cheap - am I right in this respect?
Finally, I found it rather difficult to find an LPG installer who knew what they are doing. I know that there are lots listed on the LPGA site, but in my experience this stands for nothing. I found that there are only about 10 companies/individuals in the UK that I would trust to fit a system.

All in all, LPG can work great, but you.do need to have a good system fitted by a trustworthy person/company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctan View Post
I'm in Wembley.
I've had two 940's on LPG with very little trouble.
Approx 100k on first car, one injector wire broke (15 min fix).
Approx 40k on second car, Earth prob (30 min fix).
Kit was transferred between cars for £800. Kit now 10 years old.
I sometimes do the two year-ish filter change (£25), sometimes get an lpg inspection.
Paying 55p per litre (Feb 019). Ave 18p per mile.
Original install by Gas4cars, Milton Keynes. Happy with them. Went for high end Prinz Kit with nice injectors (£1700). I think the retail on those injectors could be £400 and they are thought to be good for 250km or so- hence some of the higher install cost.
I've used BPH garage Slough for any LPG repairs, I hear good reports about ECOtec in west drayton but haven't used them.

And, of course, a healthy ignition system, esp the insulating items. Magnacore leads.
As others have said, get a good install (a bad installer is the root of future problems), avoid clowns if you can!
Personally, I find the stuff coming out of Diesel exhausts really offensive.
What would happen if people had their Diesel exhaust pipes pointing out of their bonnets?
More crap advise from a 'government'.
Also LPG is more frequently used, common even, in a lot of other countries.
I'm happy with it, and will budget for it on my next car.

You had best report all of these with vested interests as traders have to be registered as traders on the forum
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 16:36   #62
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I missed a few off as the multi quote did not work. Point is I'm the only trader here.

The rest are just guilty of saving money by running LPG
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 01:08   #63
Russki

I buy LPG.
Russki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 21:38   #64
abdiel
VOC Member

I have owned lpg converted cars for more than 19 years (4 of them) and converted all of them myself except my current v70 which was already done & one of the main reasons I bought it. All of them were inspected by a UKLPG approved installer, passed with no issues & added to the UK lpg register. In all that time I have NEVER had an issue with the lpg system in any of my cars, the only downside has been having to start on petrol!
abdiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 08:17   #65
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

As I came in, unless you want to ask for trouble, and 'lash-in' a system, it'll last and pay for itself - and very easily.

I think we can conclude that the OP has had his point completely obliterated.
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 20:55   #66
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
As I came in, unless you want to ask for trouble, and 'lash-in' a system, it'll last and pay for itself - and very easily.

I think we can conclude that the OP has had his point completely obliterated.

I think that whilst there are positive posts on this thread there is also a lot of negatives.

I don’t know why you started this thread other than to cause trouble but I still confirm to anyone reading that I have been in a lot of LPG cars and there reliability is very poor.

That’s not to say all are, it is to say I wouldn’t buy one and think a lot of commercial sellers make a lot of money shifting unreliable garbage that takes many many miles to recoup their costs and often not in a reliable fashion.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 14:17   #67
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

I feel like we’ve come full-circle, you’ve come back by paraphrasing my own point.

There's no fooling you is there? I can see that from here.

Thank you. I agree.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Apr 18th, 2019 at 14:20.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 22:19   #68
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
I feel like we’ve come full-circle, you’ve come back by paraphrasing my own point.

There's no fooling you is there? I can see that from here.

Thank you. I agree.
You agree that there are some positive threads but they are outweighed by negative ones and that lpg can be unreliable?

Fair enough.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 13:19   #69
volvo_pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
You agree that there are some positive threads but they are outweighed by negative ones and that lpg can be unreliable?

Fair enough.
I think that people usually express their views when they have a negative experience, but it is much rarer that people go to the effort of praising something.

Anyway, on the whole LPG being bad debate I think an analogy is necessary. Imagine you buy your volvo from a reputable dealer and it goes on and on - you think volvo is a great car. Now imagine you bout your volvo from some clowns and it keeps breaking down and all you have is trouble - you think volvo is rubbish and you swear never to buy one again. Same with LPG, get a professional conversion and you will not even know it is converted, get a clown and there will be no end of troubles. The issue here is actually finding someone who is genuinely competent with LPG, and that can be very difficult.
I am biased as I have always had LPG, but that is my experience (I have had both good and bad conversions). However, the fault does not lie with LPG, but rather with the installer.
volvo_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 23:55   #70
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

As well as that does explain it I still do not think the message will get through